Film crews and medics

Only had 2 experiences with, and I specify, "News Videographers", not movie filming.

1) Police Emergency Services was in the back of my ambulance, using a "K-12" or similar cut-all saw, removing a heavy bracelet from a burn victim, at a multiple alarm fire. Admittedly, with all the sparks it was throwing, It looked spectacular. Then I saw a videographer almost climbing into the back of the ambulance. I tapped him on the shoulder, and told him, " I know it's your job to get the story, but part of mine is trying to protect the patient's privacy. Can we find some common ground so we both get our jobs done?" He backed off several yards, and resumed filming. Common ground was achieved.

2) A drunk driver had plowed into 4 people, from the same family, outside a popular catering hall, killing 3 of them. Although I had just come off duty, I responded to the scene, still in uniform, as I then worked "inside", and kept my "kit" in my car. A supervisor directed me into the catering hall, to attend to a family member of the struck people, as he hadn't been yet told.

The next day, I got a call from my brother, who lives in North Dakota (I'm NYC), telling me he'd seen me on TV, from a broadcast on CNN covering the story. A few days later, I saw myself walking to the catering hall doors, on a local network affiliate.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

" I know it's your job to get the story, but part of mine is trying to protect the patient's privacy. Can we find some common ground so we both get our jobs done?" He backed off several yards, and resumed filming. Common ground was achieved.

Where I live the news agencies put the patient’s faces and identities in the paper and on TV. They try to take pictures of the trauma victims and diseased to run them on the front page. We are in the news a lot and I really hate it. Often folks will be at the funeral and pictures of their loved one, lying in the middle of the road are circulating in the local paper. We have to treat the news guys decent because they can twist the story however they want.

I forgot to mention something on the drunk driver call. Before CNN filmed the scene, a different videographer had started filming, but area locals, already realizing there were dead persons, and parts of those dead persons, all over the block, took and smashed the camera, and assaulted the videographer for being some kind of vulture, and disrespecting the deceased.

Also, this was Howard Beach. These locals already hated TV news crews for the coverage of the "Howard Beach Incident".

I had a lady from the show "Paramedics" ride with me a few times, she was good about being out of the way and the camera was very small, not your usual news camera. I'm sure I was aware of her presence but don't recall changing my behaviour or patient care to any great extent.

Hey guys - here is the Real Rob haha - new to this site. Scotty introduced me. Just want to say a huge thank you to you all for taking the time to make a response! Even saying you haven't had a film crew with you is good information. So cheers! and thanks Scotty too :)

Never had a film crew ride with me directly (though we have shows similar to yours over here).

I recall one particular incident, which was quite amusing, though propably not for the film crew. ;)

It was a car accident with several involved cars. A truck had driven in the end of a traffic jam. The truck and a smaller truck he initially rammed had gotten on fire and the FD had extinguished the fire with foam.

After all patients were treated, we were still there `cause we had passed our pat. on to the heli.

There was a film crew standing at the side of the read at the beginning of the area where the accident had happened, just at the height of the burned out truck.

A police helicopter flew right over the truck, and the whole lot of foam that was still lying on the truck and the earth was blown right at the film crew.

Sorry for being a bit OffTopic, but that was just the one incident with film crews that I can recall best. ;)

Otherwise I have been filmed at the scene, but never got the odd aggresive videographer that was killing my nerves.

Edited by Vorenus

I was on COPS (I was acquitted, thank god! :whistle: ) But I found their cameramen to be very professional and respectful our patients. I had a correspondent from a major EMS magazine riding with me who had a complete emotional breakdown when we had a cardiac arrest - far more of an inconvienence trying to get him to stop crying than the COPS cameramen were.

We had a news crew riding along for a night covering an article on violence towards EMS personel...of course nobody even sweared with the camera in their face so one night became 4 dull nights, then they started editing everything which resulted in the footage of a man raising his voice towards his family while treating his injured kid, a swearing drunk and a crying girl with a hypoglycaemia looking like we were working in Baghdad on a bad day....Only positive point was the reporter who was pretty hot :P

Someone showed me a "behind the scenes" video from the "COPS" show, where 2 Police vehicles ran into each other while responding to a "hot" assignment. Both had "Ride-Along" videographers aboard!

At least the 4 LEOs and the 2 cameramen were not hurt, and were cracking bad jokes back and forth about it.

Funny in a black humour sort of way Richard.

I just remembered I had 4 video guys and one PR gal in my Zodiac (doing a Swift Water Rescue Standby) during a flood is southern Alberta a few years back.. I was attached to RDSAR.

Funny thing to, while launching the boat (I really didn't want 5 extra) only 2 was my initial offer to RCMP liason but the 2 teams were TV competitors so I caved just to show them the dikes ++ that was done by the community to prepare (it was stellar really saved 500 homes)

Ok so I stepped off the Boat, it got hung up with all the extra weight, into way deeper water than "expected" I was soaked to my chest to get the boat free ... shutters were clicking maddly, buddy with huge ass camera was STANDING when I was telling him NOT to move in the boat with currents and debris and hidden obstructions ... so who's very red face ended up in "Breaking News" ... well live and learn .

Here is a pic of them .... tit for tat I say :

post-8540-0-32667400-1313768725_thumb.jp

Securing a floating propane "pig" with FD ... no PR dudes that trip for obvious reasons re risk.

post-8540-0-79780200-1313768771_thumb.jp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.