Film crews and medics

Hi guys, I am helping a friend with a research topic and thought I would try you lovely people here for some direction or personal interactions.

My friend Rob, is doing a research report on the effects of film crews on EMT's *He is in his second to last paper for his Paramedic Degree*. We have a few shows here in New Zealand where film crews go with paramedics/emt's to calls and film them for the show.

What I want to know, is have any of you had this personally? Or been on a scene where film crews were working *like say on COPS or anything like that* and if so, did it affect you in any way. And no he-man tangents on "I stood up and told them to ***k off" as I know that its a media world we live in and if you stood up and did that on cam, then D'OH.

Also, are there any research articles out there on this and any effect it has on EMT's. Whether it be on the job *we all know what its like trying to put a line in with a heap of people watching* or afterwards like when the show has aired and people give backlash etc. I am just curious as to what resources are out there as my University databases don't include JEMS or any other pre hospital resources.

Thanks in advance guys, I'll do you all up some home baking and dates with hot co-workers all around. ;)

Scotty

I can only help you a little, as my experience with that is limited to a newspaper reporter taking pictures of us doing an extrication.

I'm somewhat tunnel visioned when I'm working on something, so I quickly forgot he was there until I saw our pic in the paper pulling the patient out of the car.

It made no impact on the scene whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent had a film crew in my face but we always have a crowd. It use to made me very nervous and make me think about the crowd more than my pt. I got over it quickly and have only once told a by stander to STFU Quietly of course.

No movie star here, have been known to break lenses with my ugly gob.

A simple firm "NO COMMENT" and refer to Police PR guy, I am a dumb Paradork and don't know a THING.

It is just human nature to be curious, I feel an intrusion into the patients privacy and mine.

The cell phone types encouraged by media and with cash rewards for "hot shots" are a PITA, without shadow of doubt.

Biggest problem in my mind is the sensationalism and get the story at all costs, as that is the prime directive of mainstream media.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

I never had a film crew although the local paper and TV hand around like vultures trying to get a shot with a little blood in it. Jerks. Most of the time they tic me off although i try not t show it.

Once I was in the rain packaging a head trauma patient with AMS and Cheyne-Stokes breathing that had bled at least 500ml from the scalp laceration. About 6 LEO were on the scene. As I was assessing the patient someone behind me kept asking how to spell my name, I thought it was the police. It was a reporter. I don’t like them at all, a bunch of vultures.

As far as putting a film crew on the bus with you, I don't know. I would hate to face a lawsuit with film! Lawyers could turn that into a nightmare.

Sorry brother, I've been hoping that you'd get some good responses.

I've got no experience with it. I don't think I'd like it much, but then I doubt it would change me much. Of course I know that's not what you're looking for...

Man..I can't think if who you could talk to that's been there so won't be talking in abstracts...?

Good luck to your buddy on his project..

Dwayne

Thanks guys for your replies and the ones so far have been helpful as it shows how we have vultures around causing a scene or being intrusive. Dwayne I'll pass on your comments to Rob. Thanks again guys you all rock

Scotty

Thanks guys for your replies and the ones so far have been helpful as it shows how we have vultures around causing a scene or being intrusive. Dwayne I'll pass on your comments to Rob. Thanks again guys you all rock

Scotty

There were some reality shows in the USA that followed paramedics arround I have seen. They look like they were filmed in the 80s. I think one was in LA but I specificly remember a show done Nashville,TN. If you can find who did them some of those guys might still be arround and would have an educated opinion.

I have had film crews ride with me a few times. I was on one of those shows mentioned earlier years ago. Didn't affect the job any other than they got in the way at times in the back of the truck and I had to really watch what I said as I am not known for my proper language. They edit all of that out anyway. I don't get in trouble by doing stupid stuff on the job so didn't have any issues at all. Other than that don't know what else I could share. They rode with me a couple weeks and got maybe 5-10 minutes of good footage. Nothing exciting happened on my truck basically the entire time they rode. I have had local news crews ride with me in the past to for stuff like EMS week and the such. Wasn't as bad as I actually knew the people on the crew riding.

Don't know much about ride alongs with film crews but I have worked on movie sets. Hasn't changed what I do as much as how I do it. Where as in the street, we do what needs to be done without much hassle. On a set besides a director, producer, and assistants asking 30 million questions you have an actor/actress basically hamming it up for whatever reason so doing things tends to be more fustrating and your action more deliberate as to minimize everything going on. If possible I like taking the person back to their trailer or somewhere more private to minimize the on lookers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.