EMT Skills benefit all

DFIB

Basic skills proved to be essential for the survival of this group of kids after enduring a vicious bear attack. How young should we teach kids first aid and how much information can small children assimilate?

http://www.minutemannewscenter.com/articles/2011/07/26/westport/news/doc4e2dbdbe97e4f600136599.txt

Basic skills proved to be essential for the survival of this group of kids after enduring a vicious bear attack. How young should we teach kids first aid and how much information can small children assimilate?

http://www.minuteman...4f600136599.txt

I'm unable to view the link, so I'll let my imagination take over. ha ha

However, to answer your questions. The first "first aid" thing we should teach them is the "911" number when they are old enough to learn their phone number. Then, each child is different so you will have to determine per child what they can and can not learn. The youngest I've taught thus far is around the age of 7. It was a first aid awareness type of class for the Brownies. Very short attention spans so you have to make it fun. We used dolls as our patients and I taught them how to use "stuff in the kitchen" to help stop the bleeding. We had fun.

(Side note, I've also taught CPR/AED to the blind. Never discount a person's ability because of a disability.)

But, teaching them how and when to call 911 for help is probably the best thing you can do. Get someone on the other end of the line who can help provide guidance.

FYI, dispatchers around my area tell me frequently, they'd rather have a child call 911 for an emergency over an adult. The child, they can calm. :D

• Like 1

How young should we teach kids first aid and how much information can small children assimilate?

I think it depends entirely on the maturity level of the kid in question. At 16 years old, I have to draw the line between "child" and "kid". I have no problem with 16 year olds going through entire EMT-Basic courses and getting their certs (finding work needs to wait, though). At that age there are kids I would trust my life to, and there are kids who I wouldn't want getting too close to the medicine cabinet. It's all case-by-case.

In that story a lot of attention is paid on how young the kid was, sixteen. To me it's not that big of a deal; in just two years (provided he "just turned" 16) he could be working along side me in an ambulance.

Teaching first aid to elementary school aged children is a different story, though. I actually do this frequently, I frequently volunteer to teach the local Boy Scout troop and Cub Scout pack first aid and CPR, and I also lead the first aid team at my church (where I also teach the youth first aid skills).

I find that children can get confused really easily, and you need to focus on broad and simple concepts. For example, many of the younger cub scouts I deal with can't manage the thirty compressions then two breaths, thirty compressions, two breaths, all while remembering WHEN to do CPR (with the pulse check), proper hand placement, compression rate, ect. It's just way to much for them to remember, and the ones who can remember it will probably only remember it for a week at the most.

So when teaching CPR, to children I have them skip the pulse check (I doubt many of them would be able to find a good pulse, anyways) and instruct them to do CPR if the patient is unresponsive and not breathing. I also teach them hands only CPR (no artificial respiration). It's much easier for them to remember, and I have a feeling most can "master" this and remember it if they ever need it. And the number one thing to pound into their head is to get somebody to call 911 ASAP. I'll actually take the time to teach full/proper CPR with the Boy Scouts (middle school and high school age).

When it comes to other first aid skills, I make sure that whatever I'm teaching is age appropriate by making sure it's something that's unlikely to cause more harm if they do it incorrectly. I'm afraid when teaching smaller children that they'll do the WRONG thing in the emergency and make matters worse (all because of my training).

With the younger ones, I teach them real simple things:

Managing cuts, scrapes, ect...

Applying pressure to stop bleeding (I don't cover pressure points)

The concept of not removing impaled objects and immobilization

Bites

Poison Control (I give them info about the center and phone number)

ect....

With the older ones, I might show them how to make some splints, ect. I NEVER discuss treatments for poisons because the wrong treatment for the wrong poison can cause way more harm than good.

I guess the number one rule is make sure you're not teaching them something that they have a good chance of using and making matters worse.

• Like 2

I taught my eight year old how to make a sling last week. She's okay at it. If my three year old could tie knots, he could do it.

Basic first aid can be taught as early as elementary school and expanded on as a child grows older. Bleeding control, splints, slings, CPR with AED, even spinal precautions should be common knowledge by high school.

I dont believe in being greedy with the knowledge. Put it out there. People can handle it and should have it.

Yes, teach first aid to the kids. Make it an elective they can take in school. What a fun thing to teach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to other first aid skills, I make sure that whatever I'm teaching is age appropriate by making sure it's something that's unlikely to cause more harm if they do it incorrectly. I'm afraid when teaching smaller children that they'll do the WRONG thing in the emergency and make matters worse (all because of my training).

So the developmental stage of each individual child would be key. Maturity does not come with age but with the acceptance of responsibility. We could teach all the same and expect that some simply won’t have the maturity to get it. But hey, some knowledge is better than no knowledge. Or do an introductory "test class" to identify kids that are interested and able to learn more.

Teaching first aid to elementary school aged children is a different story, though. I actually do this frequently, I frequently volunteer to teach the local Boy Scout troop and Cub Scout pack first aid and CPR, and I also lead the first aid team at my church (where I also teach the youth first aid skills).

First Aid team at church is very interesting. Do you include children, youth and adults? What church is it at? Do you have shifts during the services or is everyone just on standby?

I taught my eight year old how to make a sling last week. She's okay at it. If my three year old could tie knots, he could do it.

Basic first aid can be taught as early as elementary school and expanded on as a child grows older. Bleeding control, splints, slings, CPR with AED, even spinal precautions should be common knowledge by high school.

I dont believe in being greedy with the knowledge. Put it out there. People can handle it and should have it.

Yes, teach first aid to the kids. Make it an elective they can take in school. What a fun thing to teach!

It is really cool to teach our own kids. My 14 year old is pretty good with the areas she is most interested in. She likes the Rapid Trauma Assessment but is less interested in interventions. My 19 year old will take his NREMT next month. I got to teach them both and it was a blast!

First Aid team at church is very interesting. Do you include children, youth and adults? What church is it at? Do you have shifts during the services or is everyone just on standby?

We have a very large and active church that likes to do events (camping, day trips, hikes, ect). We're often far away from any help, so we formed a first aid team, which I lead. There's no official shifts, per say, we're all just on standby.

My classes include anyone who wants to learn. The team consists of people who are 16+.

Edited by ShockDoctor

It' sounds like a neat group of people. Creating a first aid culture within a church community is an interesting concept. Great for the community. Good idea.

I have taught basic first aid to my son since he was about 4 years old.

Get a cut, put pressure on the wound

hurt ankle, elevate and ice it.

the more he matured the more indepth we got.

I also taught him at age 4 to call 911. Even if he can't tell them anything they will send the cops over and then the cops can start whatever resources need to be sent.

I also taught him at age 5 how to push the buttons on our burglar alarm for fire, medical or police needs.

We reinforce this every year.

It's never too early, unless you are trying to teach a infant then that is definately too early.

I have been watching shsrk week with my 14 year old daughter. Every time someone gets bit a will ask her: "So what would you do? Most of the time they need a touniquet since they are shark bites. Yesterday I asked her the same question as we watched TV and she said "That guy doesn't need a doctor, he needs a priest!

The point is that we can take every day occurnces and turn tham into learning oportunities,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.