things they didn't teach you in school

Cougar

This is really more job specific stuff they should have mentioned at the academy but still

-how to find and replace the fuse responsible for charging both onboard computers

-how to trouble shoot problems with the network connection between these two computers

-how to splice the wires back together when fuse isn't broken and the computers still don't charge.

-how to trouble shoot the issues that a 'clean disel' GMC will often times have. IE a warning light that looks like a guy wearing headphones with an X through it (in red)

Now more general stuff:

-When to assert yourself/when you pick and choose your battles with co-workers, hospital staff, etc.

Although I know the umbilicus is a weak spot and people with ascites are obviously at risk, I have not read of a hernia actually tearing through the skin. I was most surprised at the treatment in the hospital. I was told this morning by a family member that they "shoved it back in and put a bandage on it and told him he should get surgery some time and sent him home." I would have thought that once viscera was extruding through the skin tear that it would need more immediate treatment. Has anyone else run into this sort of thing?

I have never seen or even heard of "spontaneous exploding belly button" syndrome but agree that I would have thought a more thorough care would have been appropriate.

Exposed viscera are at great risk for infection that could lead to sepsis, more so if the patient was returned to a "very rural environment".

Did the hospital not have an OR that could handle the operation?

Did the patient not have insurance?

I would be interested to know the criteria for bandaging and releasing

The famous exploding belly button attached to a patient that certainly was uninsured. On the other hand, there certainly was medicaid. All I could figure is that they thought the alcoholism would kill him before a possible infection. It didn't seem rational to me. I've been searching the net since this call happened. I haven't been able to find any reference to hernias that burst though the skin. It was one of the weirder things I've seen. On the way to the call, I recall thinking that there was going to be a knife wound or bullet hole. Nope, [ressure from inside tore open skin and begain to force out viscera. I am really looking forward to talking to someone who has even heard of this phenom. :wtf:

The famous exploding belly button attached to a patient that certainly was uninsured. On the other hand, there certainly was medicaid. All I could figure is that they thought the alcoholism would kill him before a possible infection. It didn't seem rational to me. I've been searching the net since this call happened. I haven't been able to find any reference to hernias that burst though the skin. It was one of the weirder things I've seen. On the way to the call, I recall thinking that there was going to be a knife wound or bullet hole. Nope, [ressure from inside tore open skin and begain to force out viscera. I am really looking forward to talking to someone who has even heard of this phenom. :wtf:

It's not uncommon and the decision for surgical repair is a bit more subtle and complicated than you would intuitively assume:

http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=4231

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.