Free and Discounted Meals

I feel you are completely off base here. I mean we put our lives on the line to ensure your safety and you can't press three buttons on a computer to cut me a break on my meal. I believe no one in the EMS rescue fire or police should EVER have to pay full price anywhere while in uniform.

Get over yourself. If someone wants to cut me a break on a cup of coffee, great, if not, that's fine too. Why should a private business should be required to subsidize my need for coffee?

• Like 1

I got a discount today on my lunch from a local BBQ place. The waitress asked if I was in town for a local festival. I told her I wasn't and explainied why I was there and that I'd be in town for at least the next three months. She said, "Oh! In that case, you get the locals discount." No uniform. No asking. Just being a nice guy in response to the waitress who was working her ass off in a busy restaurant.

Too bad the food wasn't as good as the discount.

• Like 1

Usually, when I get a discount it has a corresponding increase in the gratuity.

Now that is the best way I've heard of someone dealing with discounts yet.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

I got a discount today on my lunch from a local BBQ place. The waitress asked if I was in town for a local festival. I told her I wasn't and explainied why I was there and that I'd be in town for at least the next three months. She said, "Oh! In that case, you get the locals discount." No uniform. No asking. Just being a nice guy in response to the waitress who was working her ass off in a busy restaurant.

Too bad the food wasn't as good as the discount.

Maybe she just wanted to get to know you Mike. :-}

• Like 1

I know we get a 50% discount at Hardees, and I accept it, but I would never ask for one or expect one. I just graduated from a university with a business degree and we had this discussion in one of my classes. I was taught by one of my professors that it is actually illegal because it poses a threat to equality. I'm sure you are asking how, and I was too, and my professor simply put it like this, which especially can apply to your rural areas where fire-fighters are volunteers or there may only be one ambulance crew for the entire county. If one place offers you a discount or free food/drinks, and they both catch on fire at the same time, it can be argued that fire-fighters will go to the place that offers free food/drinks first......Same for EMS, if two calls come in simultaneously, EMS might prioritize based on the fact that one gives out freebies or a discount and go there first. I, personally, do not have a clear opinion on this topic because I love getting discounts and free-bies, I mean who doesn't :) Just letting y'all in on what I was taught by my particular professor....doesn't mean it's true in all areas or true at all, but it came from a reliable source :)

• Like 1

I know we get a 50% discount at Hardees, and I accept it, but I would never ask for one or expect one. I just graduated from a university with a business degree and we had this discussion in one of my classes. I was taught by one of my professors that it is actually illegal because it poses a threat to equality. I'm sure you are asking how, and I was too, and my professor simply put it like this, which especially can apply to your rural areas where fire-fighters are volunteers or there may only be one ambulance crew for the entire county. If one place offers you a discount or free food/drinks, and they both catch on fire at the same time, it can be argued that fire-fighters will go to the place that offers free food/drinks first......Same for EMS, if two calls come in simultaneously, EMS might prioritize based on the fact that one gives out freebies or a discount and go there first. I, personally, do not have a clear opinion on this topic because I love getting discounts and free-bies, I mean who doesn't :) Just letting y'all in on what I was taught by my particular professor....doesn't mean it's true in all areas or true at all, but it came from a reliable source :)

You're arguing it's illegal. What is the law that's being violated?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.