Free and Discounted Meals

The only time I EVER said anything about a discount was when I was having breakfast at McDonalds with a cop friend of mine. We were both on duty and in uniform.

He ordered a rather large meal, while I just wanted a sausage biscuit and some tea. The cashier told him that police eat free and said mine would be $2.14.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything and just paid it. I'm not looking for handouts. Instead I said, "What if I wore a gun too? How much would it be then?" The words were out of my mouth before I knew it.

The manager, who saw everything, said that she thought it was wrong, too. My meal was comped. I thanked them and that was the end of it.

Afterward, I was sorry I said anything. It may have been wrong for them to do that, but the restaurant owner doesn't owe me a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok free hospital food ... PASS.

Katiebug I hear you, I think I would have offered to pay for the cop, just to make a more suggestive quiet "point".

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

At our local fish and chip I was having dinner with my husband. Some tourist started having convulsions so I jumped in and really just made sure he was safe. Called the crew to come get him and by the time I was done the bill was gone. Thats the one and only time.

It is rare for us to eat out here - all our Ambulance stations have fully equipped kitchens so meals are generally eaten on station.

The McDonalds down the road gives Ambulance crew discounts, when I worked at KFC we turned the cash register off for the Police.

Oh and I would rather drink boric acid or take to my limbs with a skill saw than eat at Dennys

Edited by kiwimedic

I would never ask for a discount..I think that is extremely unprofessional.

We sometimes get free fountain drinks at a local convenience store, We get a free appetizer at a local restaurant, Chick Fil A gives us half off, and a local breakfast taco place also gives half off. If any of the employees charge regular price we pay. They are offering a courtesy by giving discounted food, they are not required to and even if I am given that courtesy half the time I still appreciate it.

Starbucks will give us a free regular coffee, but I always put $1 in the tip jar. The hosemonkeys are starting to abuse it though. Regular coffee is free, premium drinks you have to pay for. The knuckledraggers now will ask for a "shot" of this and a "shot" of that so it is almost a premium coffee. I can soon see this perk going away as I have been informed by a employee that the mgr. is getting a little miffed. Somebody always has to spoil it for others.

There is a restaurant that only charges us $5.00 for the lunch buffet, which is about half price. Appreciated, but never asked for. This to is short lived because some members of the local fire suppression are starting to make it a family affair.

God Damn it SD, every time I get your negative count down by giving you positive points on posts where you don't sound completely insane you go and do some shit like this.

Why in the world would you believe that you have more of a right to a discount than, say, the mechanic, or preacher, or teacher sitting next to you? After all, the odds are that any one of them likely worked harder and/or did more in their day to change the world than you did, right?

My guess is that you come from a Fire background so that you have that bullshit sense of entitlement because you're a 'hero'...Nonsense. In fact, this has volly fireman stamped all over it. This isn't terribly surprising given your previous posts of 'being at the top of your game', of 'being an EMS Pioneer', despite ignoring everyone's attempts to get you to show us what exactly you've pioneered, and all of the stuff you carry on your belt.

No matter how badly you want reality to match the nonsense displayed by your TV hero, it's never going to manifest brother.

Why do you deserve more of a discount than anyone else?

Dwayne

• Like 1

While I have benefited from a discounted meal once in a while, I've never asked for a discount, even if I knew it was a policy to give us a break. In fact one time, a couple of us were eating at Boston Pizza (big chain up here) and the bills came without the customary 10% discount. I didn't care, but one of my co-workers was really sharky with the waitress about it. I have never been more embarrassed in a restaurant before in my life. Needless to say I apologised to the waitress and left a very healthy tip. Also needless to say I've never eaten out with that particular person since.

SD, bad form asking for the discount. If you abuse these sorts of gifts, they tend to go away.

If you abuse these sorts of gifts, they tend to go away.

I've seen that happen several times. One or two jerks will screw up a good thing for all of us. You don't want that reputation.

Just a heads up. î…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you EVER ask for a discount. EVER. If it's freely given, you may accept, circumstances depending (thanks for your story Squinty).

To ask, or to be offended because one previously given is not extended, is churlish in the extreme, and reflects poorly on our profession. Just what is it that makes you so god damn special that somewhere you ate is OBLIGED to give away part of their profits to you?

I sort of agree with you guys. I normally wouldn't have asked but I only brought in $10 (I figured the discount when I was counting my money in my rig). My bill was initially over that, so it was either get my discount or not pay. Plus, that wasn't even figuring the tip (which I wouldn't have been able to provide).

"What if I wore a gun too? How much would it be then?" The words were out of my mouth before I knew it.

I can understand drawing the line at giving the police a discount. There's a benefit to having a police officer inside your location (who in their right mind is going to rob you?). EMS and Fire is a slippery slope. As Dwayne said, why not teachers? Why not priests? Why not any other type of employee? Almost everybody works, so why not give a "worker's discount"? The answer is because it's advantageous to have uniformed first responders in your restaurant.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.