Free and Discounted Meals

The next morning, an email went out from the regional manager of KFC stating the 50% off deal was no longer available to VPD members.

As was stated in a different post, complain about "discounts', and they have a habit of departing, never to be seen again.

The last food discount I got was at the rest stops on the New York Thruway, for about the first month after 9-11-01, in the form of free French Fries and sodas. For other activities, earlier this month, the "USS Intrepid Air, Sea, and Space Museum" held it's 5th regular "Fire and EMS" weekend, free entry for members of an FD or EMS provider, and their families, at half price, up to 4 additional people. I went with my "Lady J", who is my longtime girlfriend, and saw a bunch of FD and EMS members from all over the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut "Tri-state area"

For the uninformed, USS Intrepid is a decommissioned World War 2 built Aircraft Carrier. She saw service in that war, survived Kamikaze attack, further saw service in Korea and Vietnam, and also retrieved several NASA manned spacecraft on return from orbit. She, the dock at which she is secured, and other vessels, aircraft, and soon the Space Shuttle Enterprise, are now a museum

Edited by Richard B the EMT

I would never confront someone and either request or demand a freebie or discount, just because of my uniform. In fact, I think the only discount I ever used with a 10% off for fire/ems personnel at a sporting goods store that sells rope and rappelling equipment... and I was buying spools of 1" tubular webbing, for the fire dept., so I didn't really benefit from it - personally. The only thing I deserve, is what I earn. I don't feel anyone owes me for anything. That's just how I am.

• Like 1

I'm in the same line as others. In fact, in our orientation /academy during day one..its discussed that you can accept discounts but not ask for them. Its part of the customer service/professionalism lecture I believe.

I'm just happy when they rewarm my meals when we get back from a call...those are the places I will frequent more often. ALso, any place that gives me a discount, I tend to add that same $$ to my waitress tip as a matter of habit. Afterall, they work even harder than we do. :)

[/quote

No doubt amigo, an establishment that will trust you to come back and pay, hold your meal till you get back from a call, and re-heat it for you is top notch in my book. There are few greater honors then trust. No discount required.

• Like 2

"I'm sorry, but much as I'd like to accept your offered discount, due to me being a member of a uniformed municipal emergency agency, I have to decline, as my supervisors view accepting it is considered 'Graft'".

Such was what I was instructed to do and say, back in my academy days.

USS Intrepid is a decommissioned World War 2 built Aircraft Carrier.

Visited it once...impressive!

My own experience with free meals: They're gone. Several years ago, McDonald's and Burger King offered discount on meals, sometimes up to 100% on beverages, but this ceased since years. I know of one Burger King who stopped it, after a large police station in the near crowded the place on shift change but if an officer was really needed had a very delayed response.

On our volly standby duties a free meal is part of the contract and would be billed otherwise to the organisator (mostly it's cheaper for them to have the EMTs fed by their own catering). I remember one McDonald's opening day, we were on medical standby there and really were stuffed with burgers and fries, by those lovely girls. Took a long time I visited a McDonald's afterwards, I simply was too over eaten with their products... :)

Nevertheless, I'm with Vorenus: the main reason to offer a discount to certain groups is to keep business running. Only a few (mostly family owned stores) offer something just as a gift. However, individual discount has ceased as stated above, but locally we have some shops who give our volly group a decent discount or even some of their products for free (usually for a training session or some festivity).

I would never demand the discount or even calculate with it, that would be unethical.

• 1 year later...

Wow, I have gotten a few discounted coffees while on duty, have gotten a few take-n-bake pizzas on duty, and gone to the local theme park on "heros weekend" with free admission. But seriously! To talk to a manager because you didn't get you discount is utter BS. We had a thread not long ago about professional courtesy and what it was but wow man, I rarely am suprised by the selfishness of human nature, but to pull a stunt like that is unforgiveable. I certainly hope that your local "discount program" ends soon because of entitlement issues.

Fireman1037

I feel you are completely off base here. I mean we put our lives on the line to ensure your safety and you can't press three buttons on a computer to cut me a break on my meal. I believe no one in the EMS rescue fire or police should EVER have to pay full price anywhere while in uniform.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.