Free and Discounted Meals

So, in my little cosey little rural area, the small town diners like to give us first responders breaks on our bills. Typically police, fire, and EMS get some type of break when they come and eat in their uniform.

The local, family owned, doughnut shop gives us free doughnuts if we come in our uniforms. Coffee is also "on the house" sometimes. I guess this may be why police officers are associated with doughnuts, because they're also always hanging out there.

Another family owned diner gives us a generous break when we eat at their place (around a third off).

Some chain restaurants also give us breaks. Denny's gives us their employee discount, so does Burger King.

However, today when I went into Denny's I didn't get my discount. My bill came and I noticed it was full price. I ordered a chicken fried steak, eggs, pancakes, and coffee, and I was being charged full price! I told the waitress (who was new), and she said that we had to pay full price (I knew from prior experience taking to the owner that we got the employee discount). I asked to talk to a manager, and she came out and apologized and gave us the discount.

So this sparked my curiosity: what places give you free or discounted stuff?

• Like 2

I don't get a goddamn thing. Even in the hospital cafeteria... All EMS gets free drinks... But I always end up paying for mine, the dirty rotten bastards.

• Like 1

Paramedicmike, Congrats on 1,500 posts. You are a great asset and well respected voice in our little corner of the interwebs. And now back to our regularly schedualed cheap eats debate...

Fireman1037

I have to agree. Asking for the discount was a bold move and not in particularly good taste.

+1

When I have been with people who ask/try to get discounts because of their id card/uniform, I find it one of the most embaressing things ever.

• Like 1

I don't get a goddamn thing. Even in the hospital cafeteria... All EMS gets free drinks... But I always end up paying for mine, the dirty rotten bastards.

I am with you 2c4 typically we get zip in my hood too, well pretty much, I do have a theory it your case.

Could it be because your ass glows ??? .. just saying .

I don't think I could ever get up the gumption up to demand a discount, that said it does depend in the situation as many ma and pa shows like to have any uniforms frequenting their establishment, its a free security and promotes good will in the community, nuff said.

We do get "staph" breaks when doing standby at a large arena, Pro hockey, Rodeos and Concerts and the like as we are employed by the "operator" and carry have staff ID. Thing is that "concert" food is a freaken bio hazard, don't believe I have ever taken advantage.

My RN flight partner and I will working out of Ft. Mac, we stopped by really nice steak place, a 4 star spot. We were recognised by the owner and rumour has it he is Hells Angels. He insisted on picking up the tab as we had flown his 14 y/o daughter out to ICU in EDM with meningitis just the week before, so just what do you do ?

Offend the biker guy ? :o

We can't accept tips here its in our code of ethics, so we politely informed him that we expected nothing for taking care of his girl, just doing our job Mr. "GRIZ". So in order to save face and not get knee caps broken both of us insisted on tipping the waitress (just slightly less than the bill) it WAS excellent service and avoiding a rather sticky situation, so he gave us a receipt so we could claim company "expenses",yeah right with a strip joint attached THAT would have gone over great ... NOT !

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Yep, Í`m with the others on that one. I wouldn`t have asked for a discount either.

Generally, but that`s only my opinion, you can only ask for something that you have the right for. I mean, in a kind of demanding way - sure, you can ask for anything, wether that`s intelligent or tactfull is written on another paper. In that case...Nah!

To Topic:

In our hospitals cantine we get staffs discount (same as nurses, doctors,etc.). As well as in some other hospitals. There are two or three hospitals in our state that give you a meal for free if you brought a patient (nurses and staff can eat there for free too) - obviously, transports to these facilities are highly popular.:innocent:

The Subways in the near bigger town has a discount for EMTs as well as Joey`s (German pizza franchise) and some other food delivery services (but not only for EMS but also for hospitals, the police, some other municipal officials -> mainly groups of people who often purchase -> therefore, to make them happy is a good business strategy :rolleyes2: ).

Edited by Vorenus
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.