*new medic* what to carry?

I think one of the most important things I had when I started off was a list of all the area ER codes. When I started it seemed as though everyone just assumed I knew the codes and were frustrated when I asked. We have 5 ER's that we go to and every one has a different code.

When I started I carried all sorts of things...Now I carry trauma shears, a field guide, and pens. I find that pretty much does the trick for me.

• Like 1

I think one of the most important things I had when I started off was a list of all the area ER codes. When I started it seemed as though everyone just assumed I knew the codes and were frustrated when I asked. We have 5 ER's that we go to and every one has a different code.

When I started I carried all sorts of things...Now I carry trauma shears, a field guide, and pens. I find that pretty much does the trick for me.

We dont need the ER codes. We have one hospital we mainly transport. MAYBE 2 but that is very rare.

Thanks everyone. I start my official Paramedic training Monday. This is my last 2 days of working as a basic. Its actually kind of scary the idea of me being a medic.......EVERYBODY RUN! lol

Ok, so I know there are posts about what to carry with you while you are on duty, but my question is (for all you "older" medics) What would you suggest to a new paramedic to carry with them??

My very heavy kits ... :thumbsup:

<snip for brevity>

Oddly enough I actually believe SD that you do pack this "tactical gear listed" in your POV (In the one with L+S) you missed that part.

Question remains SD are you needy or just wishing to hijack this request from a respected member of the City ?

Seriously your scaring me.

On my person

Gloves

Knife

phone

wallet

duty belt

Mechanic gloves (stored in the webbing of rescue helmet)

In the truck

Jump bag

KED

Splint KIT

High angle rescue stuff

Good God! When did you become a girl?? I've, somehow, always had a picture of you in my head as a man...and I pride myself on knowing the difference!

You have the best posts...I guess I just assumed, as the men out number the women by so much. Now if we could just fix it somehow so that the men had the majority of strong, intelligent opinions, that would be awesome!

But I'm not holding my breath...

Dwayne

Dude - you are too funny! Can't get your names or sexes right these days? Can you????

My guys don't have to bring anything; everything is provided. Except for a pen, map, and gps. Uniforms are provided except for under-garment and shoes/boots... Find out from the Employer; everyone us different... Good luck....

The lists put forth by the other members look pretty complete. The only other thing I would suggest is a convenience bag. I keep one in the side pocket of my pants. It's light and very useful. Seems as though it can be hard to get out if the first in bag or cabinet in time.

And as far as field guides go, if you have a smart phone I suggest getting them on there in addition to epocrates. Just on less thing to carry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.