*new medic* what to carry?

Ok, so I know there are posts about what to carry with you while you are on duty, but my question is (for all you "older" medics) What would you suggest to a new paramedic to carry with them??

I don't know when Ill start orienting as a medic but I dont know what I should carry with me for work. Right now I carry my trauma shears, flashlight, and pager. Do you think I should carry a guide book with me? If so which one would help me the most? I am not one to carry a lot with me while I am working. My personal stethoscope goes in the ambulance when I am on duty so I have it for calls so I dont really carry it with me, but its there.

I want to see what the current and past medics would suggest for a newbie. Thanks

I would have to add the following things:

A good stethoscope, not many employers provide you with a good stethoscope.

Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia, a quick and very effective guide to medications, provides doses and what that dose is used for.

Hemostat, unlikely you will see an arterial bleed and yet well enough to clamp it. I use it to clip blankets together when its windy, open bottles of Nitro or when I need to hold something tightly. You never know when you will need one.

Carabiner, I clip a couple to my belt to use when I take multiple IV infusion. I hang the bags together so it is easier to transfer all the IV's.

And that's about all I carry besides some gloves, pocket knife, flashlight, trauma shears and my cell phone. I don't feel weighted down and have never needed anything else when working 911 and transfers. Hope this helps.

I would have to add the following things:

A good stethoscope, not many employers provide you with a good stethoscope.

Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia, a quick and very effective guide to medications, provides doses and what that dose is used for.

Hemostat, unlikely you will see an arterial bleed and yet well enough to clamp it. I use it to clip blankets together when its windy, open bottles of Nitro or when I need to hold something tightly. You never know when you will need one.

Carabiner, I clip a couple to my belt to use when I take multiple IV infusion. I hang the bags together so it is easier to transfer all the IV's.

And that's about all I carry besides some gloves, pocket knife, flashlight, trauma shears and my cell phone. I don't feel weighted down and have never needed anything else when working 911 and transfers. Hope this helps.

I have a good stethoscope. Mine is a Littmann Cardiology II. Thanks for the ideas. Ill look into getting the Pharmacopoeia, and hemostats. I have a caribeaner in my locker, I just never carry it LOL. Its a good point about IVs though. Thanks!

Here's an interesting discussion on this very subject. Please read it in its entirety. Please pay particular attention to the dynamics of the thread. With any luck it'll be an informative, yet entertaining, read.

Wow quite the interesting post there. After reading that I think maybe I need to go invest in a tazer gun. LMAO!! ok well maybe not.

Throw out your Littman II and purchase a Littman III. What are we living in? The olden days?

A good TASER will take you far. Don't go cheap and just get a stun gun, invest in an X2 TASER that can shoot out prongs.

OC is a must. Make sure it's at least 2 million SHU, no whimpy stuff.

Some sort of Shotgun capable of firing breaching rounds is a must... in those cases you need to bust down a door. Benelli makes a nice shotgun that acts as a triple threat (buckshot, breaching slugs, and bean bags).

A tactical flashlight that can attach to the end of your shotgun.

An asp collapsible baton.

A Kevlar vest with trama plates.

Your own Motorola radio with a tactical headset.

If you are missing any of that stuff you are clearly not somebody I'd want responding to my emergency.

<end of sarcasm>

Make fun of me all you want guys; I'm prepared.

But, don't feel like you need to carry a lot on you. Your bus will be,nine times out of ten, nearby enough that you can grab whatever you need out of it. I have most of my patients come to the back of my vehicle anyway while I'm examining them.

• Like 1

I'm also with having a good stethoscope. You know what makes me a little bit crazy? Is that it's so rare that medics take them into calls with them.

I've heard the phrase, as you used it, "It's in the truck if I need it" a bunch, and my initial thought is always, "how many calls do you NOT need it on?" Chest pains, difficulty breathing, weakness, altered mentation, failure to thrive, etc. Won't you use it on all of these calls? Isn't there a possible cardiac/respiratory element to all of them?

I've come to believe that many simply like to be seen looking at a fireman or basic partner and barking, "Quick! Get me my 'ears' out of the truck!"

You've seen the conversations girl. But I would add that as a new medic that there may be some things that you carry not because you need them, but simply because they make you feel better. Personal notes on some issues or drugs, Ped info, a pad for writing notes/vitals/ER radio reports, an O2 wrench, mace, rappelling hook, personal Batman signalling spotlight, etc. (Poking fun at SD of course, but am truly grateful he had the balls to hang around). You may never use them, but they make you feel more confident to have them on you. And that's ok I believe, for a little bit.

Just make sure that you don't allow yourself to develop habits using things that are silly. Oh, and tape. I never had enough tape when I really needed it. So I always carried a few rolls in one of my pockets.

I have a feeling that you are going to be a really, really good medic. Would love to see you in the scenario forums so we can bust your ovaries and see how well you play under pressure... :-)

Dwayne

Edit to add something, but changed my mind. No changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

I have to agree with all the above Ash. I carry a roll of tape, pens,my stethoscope and trauma shears with me but I also carry my protocol book. The company I work for provided us with a pocket size version for us to carry with us. I read them through about once a week, just so that when I am dispatched to a call, say for allergic reaction, I am refreshed in what I need to do ie: .03 epi 1:1000 SQ, albuterol if needed and to call for 50 of benadryl etc etc. along with all the reg ALS, monitor,, oxygen and IV.

You will find what works best for you through trial and error. It's a learning curve that we all go through.

I just want to say again: YAY!!! for Ash!! I am so very very proud of you and you are gonna be awesome :):thumbsup:

Gloves! Just in case, so you don't have to make up lame excuses when called in the ER for a CPR! :rolleyes2:

Seriously: gloves (minimum 3 pairs, better more) and a working pen is the least (and most of the times the only) I carry with me beside the issued pager. Sometimes a flash light and trauma shears. On my volly turn out gear I indeed have a carabiner, just to hold my helmet or the radio, if needed, but never tried that trick with the i.v.'s.

I must admit, it took me some time to evolve from the carry-a-lot-of-stuff-in-the-jacket medic I was in the beginning to someone who just knows where those things are and to have them with you when you need them or who to send to grab them. :)

but never tried that trick with the i.v.'s.

This was developed out of necessity; I regularly take transfers with four or more infusion going plus a NS or two at TKO. We have two IV pulls on our Stryker cot. However the IV hooks are small, we had to bend them at first to fit multiple IV's on however we still needed more room to hang more, with two pulls and two carabiners I can take a total of 8 infusions easily and more if need be. Now IV pumps are a different story especially with a ventilator on the cot. So we go these new B Braun Space Infusion Pump (http://www.bbraunusa.com/images/bbraun_usa/space_hand.jpg). These are really nice. Sorry to get off topic.

Gloves! Just in case, so you don't have to make up lame excuses when called in the ER for a CPR! :rolleyes2:...

Man...caught me completely off guard. Once or twice a month I laugh out loud on accident..For some reason this just cracked me the hell up..

It's so good to have you here man...

Dwayne

...You will find what works best for you through trial and error. It's a learning curve that we all go through....

Good God! When did you become a girl?? I've, somehow, always had a picture of you in my head as a man...and I pride myself on knowing the difference!

You have the best posts...I guess I just assumed, as the men out number the women by so much. Now if we could just fix it somehow so that the men had the majority of strong, intelligent opinions, that would be awesome!

But I'm not holding my breath...

Dwayne

Edited by DwayneEMTP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.