Student no more!

Wow. That is about all I can say!!! After many laughs, and tears; ups and downs; I am FINALLY a Paramedic! It was a long road but fully worth it. I know that I am not on the forum too much anymore but I am hoping to change that now that I am done with Paramedic. Now I get to focus on training as a Medic. I have a job as a medic with my current service. I actually will be working on 2 different services but they have the same boss. I also have a wonderful group of people that I work with.

NOW only problem is I don't know what to do with myself......Hmmm.......I need to find a hobby.......wow, I am pathetic! LOL Just wanted to let you all know that I am officially a Medic. WATCH OUT WORLD!!

Congrats to you! It is such a great feeling when you get your cert. I did not too many years ago...I have found that I am still a student though. Be prepared for things you haven't seen or read in a textbook, they happen all the time. Just be prepared for them and learn to adapt and you will do great! Good luck!

Congratulations! Now to be thrown to the wolves! Lol.

It's all good. Most every scene fits inside your protocols. Just be prepared to think outside the box when it doesn't. Don't hesitate to call medical direction if you're unsure. I've done it several times.

Remember to be a patient advocate and good luck to you!

• Like 1

It's all good. Most every scene fits inside your protocols. Just be prepared to think outside the box when it doesn't. Don't hesitate to call medical direction if you're unsure. I've done it several times.

Ah! Here you have an opportunity to make your very first decision as a new paramedic. What kind of paramedic do you want to be?

Do you want to be a protocol monkey, cookbook paramedic? Or do you want to be a health care provider?

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating you throw the protocol book out the window. But there is a difference between the two types of paramedic I referenced. Think about it. Decide which way you'd like to go.

Good luck.

I agree 100% Mike, but I'm certainly not anti-protocol. I even reference them as a study aid. Most patients fit nicely within them.

I also think you should exercise your critical thinking skills because protocols will never cover everything you will see and do. Maybe a patient doesn't respond to the treatment in your protocols or maybe the protocol doesn't exist.

If I deviate from a protocol, it's because I can justify it. If I dont believe the protocol fits the patient, I'm not embarrassed to get recorded on line direction if I need it. It's about being a patient advocate. My pride has no place in my unit.

I'm not trying to start a debate, that's just my approach. I know from years of reading your posts that you are an excellent medic. You answered some difficult questions for me when I was new. I specifically remember one where I had a patient bleeding from the eyes. That was about six years ago I think.

My point is that protocols are good and useful. I reference them often and recommend a working knowledge of them. I do agree with you that they are guidelines, not hard and fast rules.

Oh no I know the learning continues, but I wanted to come across is I am done with the official schooling and testing. No, I have a LOT to learn!!! It still feels like I am a basic. Yea its strange changing rolls.