Does OEC+EMTB = WEMT?

I'm glad I have an IQ higher than a field mouse to figure that out though.

Just an FYI (that's: for your information) this site has a membership world wide , yall think an OZ, Kiwi, Canadian, Israeli or German or even a dood from Louisiana would have one clue of what your yittering aboot ?

Thanks Maverick "the queen of the acronym" to explain to we lower IQ members of WTF buddy is actually asking. My question would be that your National Ski Patrol medical background is half as much info as an EMT B, curious.

In western Canada, Lake Lousy, NoShine and Marmot Glulch most Pro Patrollers at minimum are EMT / PCP with many Canadian Ski Patrol System Trainers are REMT-P, a good thing because we have some pretty big rocks here.

cheers

From the sounds of it, most likely not. Wilderness EMT covers much more rugged medicine....how to make a traction set out of a tree branch and webbing or rope... how to create a litter using the materials around you. If you're interested in wilderness medicine, I highly recommend NOLS WMI (National Outdoor Leadership School Wilderness Medicine Institute).... they have an established curriculum and courses all over the U.S. (that's United States for you smart arses out there)....

And to the OP... OEC is not a widely used acronym in EMS (Emergency Medical Services) like EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) is, so don't assume (ass u me) that we would instantly know what you are talking about from a few short sentences.

• Like 1

It has been a while from when last I complained about usage of local acronyms on this international site. If I use an acronym, I immediately translate it. I realize what I use colloquially may not make sense to an Israeli, a German, or anyone to whom English is a second language. Then there is the matter of the UK and USA being devided by our supposed common language.

Just commenting and not complaining, but I note Dusty seems to use a UK style English spell-check. If asked, he'll also translate, and I usually end up kicking myself, as I knew it under a different phrasing.

(Spell Check on this Dell computer is down, and the Toshiba WITH spell check is not nearby today.)

• Like 1

www.abbreviations.com may help in such cases. It still is a guessing, but works most of the time for me.

An explanation of acronyms in the text at the first time used sure is a help and makes reading easier.

Remember: a posting sure is read more times than written - so one should take some care to write it for all those reading it.

• Like 2

Then there is the matter of the UK and USA being devided by our supposed common language.

Ahem .. you mean the Queens English do you not ? :thumbsup:

cheers

Just an FYI (that's: for your information) this site has a membership world wide , yall think an OZ, Kiwi, Canadian, Israeli or German or even a dood from Louisiana would have one clue of what your yittering aboot ?

Thanks Maverick "the queen of the acronym" to explain to we lower IQ members of WTF buddy is actually asking. My question would be that your National Ski Patrol medical background is half as much info as an EMT B, curious.

In western Canada, Lake Lousy, NoShine and Marmot Glulch most Pro Patrollers at minimum are EMT / PCP with many Canadian Ski Patrol System Trainers are REMT-P, a good thing because we have some pretty big rocks here.

cheers

National Ski Patrol is a national volunteer organization with local patrols serving as volunteer first responders on the hill. Pro patrollers at larger mountains are all at least EMT-B, with most at big resorts being paramedics with a great deal of extra wilderness, mountaineering and avalanche training. Most professional patrollers don't have much respect for NSP members skill-wise, but they serve a great purpose, are good at what they do, and have enough skill to handle day to day issues on local hills.

And "queen of the acronym"? LOL, gee thanks. I actually can be really bad about it sometimes myself, find myself often using Army/military vernacular talking to people at work, forgetting that I'm dealing with civilians until they give me that blank look, haha. Then I remember to translate. :innocent:

Edited by maverick56

Most professional patrollers don't have much respect for NSP members skill-wise, but they serve a great purpose, are good at what they do, and have enough skill to handle day to day issues on local hills.

Top Hut Duty .. yes same here, TP Turkey Patrol is the predominate phraseology.

Hey wait when did Michigan get mountains and do you still have "Loud Powder" out east ? :devilish:

• Like 1

Top Hut Duty .. yes same here, TP Turkey Patrol is the predominate phraseology.

Hey wait when did Michigan get mountains and do you still have "Loud Powder" out east ? :devilish:

LOL yeah we do. And I never said MI has mountains! Faaaar from it lol. I've spent a couple seasons in the Rockies, I do know the difference. There is some decent backcountry in the UP though, just short.

I'm "on" a drug called Charlie Sheen, and winning!

Dear nah2323:

I like that line, just who doesn't like mildly bonkers Charlie Sheen and please pass the Tigers Blood. :beer:

After a bit of a "rocky" start a hearty Welcome to EMTCity, straight up Paramedics and EMTs are actually some of the worst for the use of acronyms and mnemonics, even worst are the Military Medics hence my jab at Maverick56, but all in good fun.

I got my start as a Pro Patroller stepping into Emergency Medicine area, (NB: I didn't say up) in my opinion and yes even inclusive of the Turkey Patroller's. Those with a Ski Patrol and/or Surf Lifeguard background make some of the best EMT's and Paramedics, packaging patients in these environments and transporting off a rock or beach is not an easy task, one learns in a hurry what or what doesn't work, no hose monkeys around to lift the heavy things.

Just my 2 cents but if your looking for a one plus one equals 3, why do you not take an W-EMT program ? I see that SOLO is in Colorado and offer many courses that could enhance anyone's background skills, especially splinting of twisted out of shape limbs with what is at hand, just like getting more blades or a fancier model Swiss Army Knife that already you have.

btw: Don't mess with Maverick, I believe she uses a Ka Bar, and the Germans are not the only ones that have good steel.

Here is a link to another Wilderness EMT program and IDM the "Independent Duty Medic" program that I can highly recommend as Dr. Jonathan Busko the medical director is one of the best in the biz, well so he tells me. :phone:

http://www.cdsoutdoor.org/index.php

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.