Does OEC+EMTB = WEMT?

As the title describes, does OEC and EMTB for the most part equal WEMT? I know it's not the actual certificate, but was wondering if the combined training of the two is close.

Anyone have any thoughts?

As the title describes, does OEC and EMTB for the most part equal WEMT? I know it's not the actual certificate, but was wondering if the combined training of the two is close.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I believe that OEC + EMTB = OMG and WTF.

Seriously though, what on earth are you on about?

How does that create OMG and WTF? I'm "on" a drug called Charlie Sheen, and winning!

Seriously though, I'm trying to get a little more training and certifications. I'm not really interested in Paramedic, but a broader spectrum of care for more situations. I know a emtp covers more material, granted.

I think of emtp as the really really good German steak knife. Like a wusthoff or something. Im looking for more of the Swiss army knife type approach.

Bro, you have seriously lack understanding of what paramagic was trying to say.

Your acronyms mean almost nothing to people who dont understand your local vernbacular, so without people knowing what OEC is your never going to get an answer if OEC + a basic course is equal to a wilderness EMT cert, and thats only if im making sense of your local vernacular.

See what im getting at? cant get an answer if your quesiton makey no sensey.

I "is" a EMT-B, but have no idea what OEC stands for. Could be Office of Emergency Communications, for all I know. I also am guessing that WEMT is Wilderness EMT, and welcoming correction if I am wrong on that count.

I personally prefer a Ginsu knife over the German cutlery, but German binoculars over Japanese ones.

• Like 1

OEC is Outdoor Emergency Care, offered through the National Ski Patrol. And to the OP,I have been taken that course, years ago before getting into EMS. It doesn't give really give you all that much "wilderness" training, it's basically a medical first responder course with a few extra skills like chair lift evacuation, boot and helmet removal, and some more info on environmental emergencies (mostly winter, aka hypothermia, frostbite). Not much in the way of alternative techniques/backcountry stuff - it assumes you are with an established patrol with basic equipment. Anything like mountaineering/orienteering, avalanche SAR and survival, and other backcountry stuff are extra certification courses through NSP. So, NO, I would not say that OEC + EMT-B = WEMT and the OEC course would be waste of time if you are not planning on being on a patrol somewhere, not going to teach you a thing and they tend to be waaay too intense about it for the level of care actually taught.

Edited by maverick56
  • Like 1

Oh I get it now .. the Kanukistanian translation would be:

CSPS + EMR = PP .

NFW !

Edited by tniuqs

Well jeez, if acronyms are such a no no, maybe they ought to change the name of the forum. I was almost confused, it could mean electrical metallic tubing city.. I'm glad I have an IQ higher than a field mouse to figure that out though.. Thanks maverick for having a legit response..

Enough of the sass, and back on topic...

I am on an established patrol, and the training is about half as involved as the EMT basic was, however there was great depth (at least at my mountain) on wilderness situations, technical rescue in off piste (out of bounds).

Long story short, I answering my own question. Solo has the WEMT upgrade in a 5 day course.

Edited by nah2323

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.