Did you ever use a tourniquet?

Dwayne,

Was it the KAF role 3? Depending when it was, I might have some info. PM if you want.

I see your point, I think we just differ on timeline. My view is just wait until you get to the hospital, then sort it out there vs. doing it in the field. Great discussion.

TS

... Enroute I began to worry about feeding the wound margins as I wanted to try and leave the best chance for repair. I released the tourniquet slowly so as not to hurt him to bad but also to see if there was a chance that the dressings would hold.There was some bleeding, so I added another, tighter wrap, and other than some very slow seepage it seemed to hold for the 20 minute or so winding drive to the Role3.

I don't really remember what happened after we dropped him. I gave my report to the trauma team, non batted an eye at my story, and I went about my business...

Dwayne

Did you ever use a tourniquet ?

every time i start an IV, lol

A point here "almost" mute a tongue in cheek comment but there are folks out reading this that are less experienced, when using a "T" for an IV start best advice is pressure between systolic and diastolic, just saying those Penrose drains aint going to cut it in a catastrophic bleed.

cheers

Dwayne,

Was it the KAF role 3? Depending when it was, I might have some info. PM if you want...

That was at BAF, before I moved to KAF, and years ago now. But I'm grateful for the offer.

You at KAF now? There's at least one City member that goes there regularly, and perhaps others working there...maybe you could try and hook up?

Dwayne

Have a EMT City meet and greet at the Green Bean or something like that. Sounds cool to me. I am back in the 'world' right now, but if all goes well I will be back in KAF in Jan. so perhaps then.

That was at BAF, before I moved to KAF, and years ago now. But I'm grateful for the offer.

You at KAF now? There's at least one City member that goes there regularly, and perhaps others working there...maybe you could try and hook up?

Dwayne

I have attended a few lectures recently, by Doctors just back from "in theater" field hospitals. All have CATs to show around, and encourage their use.

I'm on the ambulances, or operating in their support, for 38 years, and never applied any. I have been updated, from time to time, on how to make one with crevats (folded "triangle bandages") and tongue depressers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.