Hartmann's Solution helps restore blood faster?

When a person loses blood I understand it takes about 24-48 hours to have his blood level return to normal. Does Hartmann's Solution or any other IV solution (such as saline) helps restore blood faster by its chemical properties?

Because I saw that's one of the treatments for blood loss. But when a person loses a lot of blood, I imagine he needs more BLOOD, not more fluids. If you say he needs "liquid", then couldn't he just drink water?

Before I reply, I need to ask a question, a question others have asked. We need to know your role in health care or we cannot provide answers that you would intuitively understand. I'm guessing your level of understanding is rudimentary? That is okay, but you need to ket us know or I'm liable to answer with information that would be meaningless to you.

If you've already introduced your self, I will apologise in advance.

Take care,

chbare.

The only thing I believe will restore blood is letting to body make more (or a transfusion). They took LR out of protocol years ago and now we only use NS here and for fluid replacement and to increase volume (to try to raise BP). They do have "artificial blood" out there but I don't know enough about it to have an opinion.

Info on artificial blood:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/everyday-innovations/artificial-blood.htm

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2010/October/ArtificialBlood.asp

Info on Lactated Ringers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactated_Ringer%27s_solution

@ FireMedicChick - You mean they won't let paramedics do transfusions anymore? Interesting.. well, I imagine that it's hard to figure out the blood type and give the correct one while on emergency.... and if you get the wrong type the patient could die. Have they decided it's best not to take risks?

@ chbare - I don't have a role in healthcare, I'm just a "good Samaritan" if you will, I really appreciate what paramedics do and I think rudimentary knowledge of health (esp. first aid) biology (esp human physiology) is valuable in this life regardless of having a role in healthcare in terms of job. I'm currently I'm reading a "first aid providing" manual so all sorts of questions pop into my head.

Anyway, now I understand-- to increase fluid volume and therefor pressure. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the replies :)

Edited by Good Samaritan

I cannot respond regarding other states in the US, but in New York, the Paramedics are not allowed to do field transfusions of whole blood. However, if Paramedics are doing an Inter Facility Transfer, (called IFTs on this site) between hospitals, I think they are allowed, as the blood would be type and matched by the sending facility.

Would someone with NYS EMT-P please confirm or deny that?

Edited by Richard B the EMT

@ FireMedicChick - You mean they won't let paramedics do transfusions anymore? Interesting..

In 99.99 percent of the US, they never did. Not sure where you got your assumption from.

It's hard enough keeping the crew and patient cool in an ambulance. Forget keeping blood safely refrigerated in one.

In 99.99 percent of the US, they never did. Not sure where you got your assumption from.

It's hard enough keeping the crew and patient cool in an ambulance. Forget keeping blood safely refrigerated in one.

Ambulance refrigerators, I bet that's the next step in ambulance evolution :)

Thanks Rich, Dust. That's interesting to know.

Ambulance refrigerators, I bet that's the next step in ambulance evolution :)

Some jurisdictions are in pilot programs for cooling patients after ROSC (Return Of Spontaneous Circulation) from Cardiac Arrest, and have refrigerators for the IV fluids so used. Others might simply have insulated coolers with ice or reusable chemical ice bricks to serve the purpose.