New here

nightshift

Figured I'd stop in and say hi, names Matt, from Wisconsin. Been an EMT Basic since 2006, ran on a service part time for 3 years and spent a stint working in Milwaukee, did my thing down there, wanted the experience... and well I got it.

Service I was with for 3 years ran fire as well. I've currently got 3 1/2 months of paramedic class left. Some ask why I want to do what I'm doing, and the best answer I can come up with is I've had a person die right infront of me when I was new, mainly because I couldn't do anything about it, and I don't want to have to live with that again, atleast now if they die well, it was either their time, or I messed up haha.

Gotta have some sense of humor.....

• Like 1

Hey man, Welcome to the City.

Yeah, being a medic pretty much guarantees that you will have way more people die in front of you while there's little or nothing that you can do than ever before. But that's the gig brother.

At least now, if you're in a good program, you'll have a better understanding of why. You should feel more comfortable knowing that there was little you could do, and for some, it's simply their time.

But, those patients are rare in the Grande Scheme of things.

Good to have you here man...jump in, be brave, ask, answer, debate....just don't be a baby... :-)

Dwayne

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Nightshift.

Even with best effort of myself, partners and/or BLS crew, with Paramedic ALS on the call, I've lost patients. It is an an fortunate reality of our jobs. People die. If you can't save them, have the friends/family/bystanders know that you did your best, by them observing you giving that effort.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.