Ridryder 911

Off duty medic caught stealing unathorized medications. Should he :  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• be placed on suspension
    • be fired if found guilty
    • if agreed a re-hab center & then closely monitored on probation
    • none of the above

I read on another forum of a medic that was accused of stealing unauthorized medications.. while not on duty. Do you think he should be discharged immediately, or be offered rehab etc.. I know in my state as a R.N. I have to report even DWI, if I don't my license will be revoked. Then you would have to go through a PEER program where you would be monitored for at least a year, for a DWI.

What if the medic admits taking the medication ?

Do you think EMS should have the same type of programs ?

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

I think suspension until satisfactory completion of a rehab course would be the best. Until they are drug free, they shouldn't be around medications, but I know people can be rehabilitated.

What if the medic admits taking the medication ?

It depends. When did he "admit" it? Before or after he was caught? And by he "admits taking the medication," do you mean he admitted the theft, or simply admitted to using the medication?

Personally, I have as much tolerance for substance abuse as I have for child abuse. Rehab is unreliable for both, and both are crimes of moral turpitude which seriously diminish or entirely shatter my confidence in the employee's reliability and integrity. I've never understood why there is all this special sympathy for substance abusers in the first place, other than a bunch of liberal drivel from the APA and ACLU. In medicine and nursing they are lenient because of the shortage. We have no shortage of EMTs.

Of course, what you do -- or even can do -- about it depends a lot on where you are. In union and civil service systems, you are extremely limited in how you can deal with the situation. But if it is up to me -- and so long as my legal advisors concur -- I am putting the employee on special duty away from patient care pending the legal outcome of his case. If found guilty, then I am firing them. It's not my responsibility to get them out of the pickle they got themselves into, and there are plenty more rookie EMTs out there more than happy to take his spot.

Suspend him, notify the state licensing or certifying board and local prosecutor. If found guilty then fire his sorry butt. I have no sympathy for thieves or addicts. They in no way deserve to be treated with kid gloves or be allowed to be put into a position of responsibility or where they could potentially easily feed their addiction. I don't believe "rehab" works for most people.

What was the substance that was taken? I'd assume it was a narcotic or other controlled substance? If it is a substance abuse problem, it is a significant issue.

Theft is theft and is just the beginning of a large snowball effect going from bad to worse.

Assuming you're talking about the drug box and not just some band-aids. If that's true, there are only two reasons I can think of for such a thing - either their own use or for sale. Both are deplorable in a medical professional and jeopardize their entire organization.

If found guilty, you have to get rid of this person. In this situation you run into all sorts of problems regarding the types of crimes involved. Theft, which in itself should be enough to have him fired, and then the issue of "Drugs" although it wasn't clear what type of drugs, but is clear that they were illegal for him to possess. Problems Problems Problems, get rid of his booty before he steals the last Morphine needed for your Old Man, having the "Big One"

Dan

having dealt with my own issues in the past I say let him have one chance to clean up, suspend until either proven not guilty or succesfully completed rehab. If he messes up again fire him on the spot. For some people a rehab and a fine are enough to scare them out of the substance abuse others it will have to have a heavier consequence, such as a job loss and revocation of certificates and licensures as well as jail time.

and I agree that for some people no matter what you do to them to get them to learn will not help, the only way they will stop substance abuse is by ending their life.

-Alco

Also on a side note I have firend who is an EMTB is an alchoholic as well as substance abuser, but until I can find hard evidence to prove the substance abuse theres really nothing for me to report, although said EMTB supposedly used purex to purify the urine during a drug test. Its a tough situation, not exactly sure, but one day eithe she'll end up taking her own life or she'll get caught doing it and lose everything.

-alco

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.