Question for all

Hello everybody,

I am a just a concerned resident, and I was hoping if one of you could generously help me. My condo board in Florida recently installed a gate on the boardwalk leading to the ocean beach. It is locked on both sides. To me it represesents a huge safety and liability issue if for some reason you misplace the key or any other reason where you cannot even get help because the gate is locked.

My question for everybody is what will happen in an emergency situation if that gate is locked for some reason and official people arrive on the scene trying to get to the beach? Are there certain legal procedures to follow before one can break the gate open? Can I trust that they will be able to break that gate open in sufficient time without it being a severe obstruction in case of an emergency?

Please if you have any other ideas, suggestions, or other places to turn to for information please do not hesitate.

Thanks so much for helping me.

This is a great question, and your answer is: it depends.

There is something in the law called the "Emergency Exception" (relating to emergency responders entering private property without the consent of owners when there is a verifiable emergency). It depends on your state what the exact limitations and the statues, but I'm pretty sure every state has one of these.

In addition, the facility may have some sort of Emergency Action Plan (EAP) with local emergency crews. It depends largely on where you are, and what kind of facility it is (is it large, prone to emergencies, ect), but many places will establish an EAP with first responders in case of emergencies. For example, in my area the local schools, malls, and assisted living homes have EAPs with us, so we'll know where to go in the event of an emergency, who can get us access into places, and so on. However, it's very possible (and unfortunately, probably also probable) that your facility doesn't have one of these, or is capable of getting one (not every facility is "worthy" of coordinating an EAP with local first responders, and most agencies would rather not bother).

We can still find ways of getting into the gate. I actually carry a battering ram in my bus (laugh at me all you want, call me a whacker, whatever, I'm prepared). ;)

And btw, if there is an emergency, we probably won't be the first on scene. I'm sure somebody will be there calling 911 and holding the gate open for us when we arrive.

• Like 2

This is a great question, and your answer is: it depends.

There is something in the law called the "Emergency Exception" (relating to emergency responders entering private property without the consent of owners when there is a verifiable emergency). It depends on your state what the exact limitations and the statues, but I'm pretty sure every state has one of these.

In addition, the facility may have some sort of Emergency Action Plan (EAP) with local emergency crews. It depends largely on where you are, and what kind of facility it is (is it large, prone to emergencies, ect), but many places will establish an EAP with first responders in case of emergencies. For example, in my area the local schools, malls, and assisted living homes have EAPs with us, so we'll know where to go in the event of an emergency, who can get us access into places, and so on. However, it's very possible (and unfortunately, probably also probable) that your facility doesn't have one of these, or is capable of getting one (not every facility is "worthy" of coordinating an EAP with local first responders, and most agencies would rather not bother).

We can still find ways of getting into the gate. I actually carry a battering ram in my bus (laugh at me all you want, call me a whacker, whatever, I'm prepared). ;)

And btw, if there is an emergency, we probably won't be the first on scene. I'm sure somebody will be there calling 911 and holding the gate open for us when we arrive.

ShockDoc, you keep making me laugh, thanks for the humor at your expense.

But seriously, If there is someone needing help, I'm going to use Law enforcement and Fire to get through the gate. Simple as that. Human life trumps property any day in my book.

But try to get a key, it will save you the time and expense of replacing the gate or your service replacing that gate.

Why not go to the home association in question and ask them for a key to put on the ambulances. I know of many services who have a huge ring of keys in their ambulances and fire trucks just for that occasion. Number the key and put the number in a book.

Damn, son! Is there anything you DON'T carry? Is there any situation you CAN'T mitigate? Listening to you, you're the boy scouts, the Marine, S.W.A.T, and Marcus freakin Welby all rolled into one!

Bus:

granby1-gmc.jpg

AMBULANCE:

2009-03-21-ems1.jpg

Damn, son! Is there anything you DON'T carry? Is there any situation you CAN'T mitigate? Listening to you, you're the boy scouts, the Marine, S.W.A.T, and Marcus freakin Welby all rolled into one!

Bus:

granby1-gmc.jpg

AMBULANCE:

2009-03-21-ems1.jpg

It's regional jargon. In New York City an ambulance is referred to as a bus, not a rig or truck or ambulance but a bus.

It's regional jargon. In New York City an ambulance is referred to as a bus, not a rig or truck or ambulance but a bus.

All that means is that you're wrong, too.

I'm only half joking.

And what's the deal? We've had an influx lately of non-EMSers looking for info. Not that that's a bad thing. I just found it interesting.

In order to get into our local airport to do medivacs we have been given a key to the locked gate. Maybe talk to the local ambulance and see if they would concider carring one for emergencies. Im not to sure how small of a place you come from.

• Like 1

Why not go to the home association in question and ask them for a key to put on the ambulances. I know of many services who have a huge ring of keys in their ambulances and fire trucks just for that occasion. Number the key and put the number in a book.

Knox has a system for storing keys in a secure vault type device. I've seen them permanently mounted to buildings and other areas with controlled access.

2251678552_b6d2552912_z.jpg

All that means is that you're wrong, too.

I'm only half joking.

And what's the deal? We've had an influx lately of non-EMSers looking for info. Not that that's a bad thing. I just found it interesting.

I really don't mind the questions from the concerned citizenry/general population, as it gives us a chance to interact with them in less stressful situations. I also think it's a good thing that they're concerned enough to take the time to find out just how we deal with certain obstacles.

*Edited to add response to Mike

Edited by Lone Star

I would vote for a lockbox that has a combination front and key inside. Give every resident and the 911 Center the code. I imagine they are locking it to keep intruders out, which probably happens more frequently than an emergency on the beach, so be careful what you ask for; having a wide-open gate may be more dangerous to you than a locked one.

There's a few answers to that.

1. There should be a Knox box that 911 responders have the key to.

2. Most electric gates around here, (Mid south), are supposed to open if you yelp your siren. Interestingly, I've never been able to get one to work.

3. The apartment complexes in my area have given gate keys to the FD to keep in the first responder vehicles.

There are a few solutions for you. Hopefully one or more works for you.

There's a few answers to that.

1. There should be a Knox box that 911 responders have the key to.

2. Most electric gates around here, (Mid south), are supposed to open if you yelp your siren. Interestingly, I've never been able to get one to work.

3. The apartment complexes in my area have given gate keys to the FD to keep in the first responder vehicles.

There are a few solutions for you. Hopefully one or more works for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.