Washing a cut with water

When they say to wash a cut with water to clean it well, I get worried because I know that in tap water there's a lot of bacteria and other microscopic junk (that's why I never drink tap water). Is it really a good idea to wash a wound with water instead of just using an antiseptic all over it?

When they say to wash a cut with water to clean it well...

Who is "they," so we can put this in context?

In healthy individuals, most infections will clear up on their own without antibiotics. We were doing is for tens of thousands of years before antibiotics were discovered. The above medscape article is a good place to start.

When they say to wash a cut with water to clean it well, I get worried because I know that in tap water there's a lot of bacteria and other microscopic junk (that's why I never drink tap water). Is it really a good idea to wash a wound with water instead of just using an antiseptic all over it?

That is why soap was invented, so just how old are you GOOD SAM as this is covered in middle school, your first question was good, but got to call you on this.

I am a type 2 diabetic. I have cuts that sometimes won't heal for weeks. I have one right now that is in the final stages of healing, just a pink area around the wound itself. I used no antibiotic cream or anything other than a daily shower and washing my hands as often as needed.

Im not dead yet.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Washing a cut with water isn't going to hurt you. Most city water is chlorinated these days. OR you could let your dog lick your wound...they heal thiers just fine....just sayin

Washing a cut with water isn't going to hurt you. Most city water is chlorinated these days. OR you could let your dog lick your wound...they heal thiers just fine....just sayin

Don't dogs lick thier e-coli infested arses?

Just as an FYI: I used to treat and distribute tap (potable) water.

There is a tolerence for chlorine levels in the water that must be followed to legaly distribute it.

In simple terms, after all pathogens/bacteria are killed there MUSt be a certain level of chlorine "left over" to kill bacteria in waterlines/taps etc. So tap water in fact will kill any bacteria that is suseptible to chlorine straight out of the tap.

Sorry for being Off Topic, but:

I`ve already heard that you guys only have chlorinated water. Do you actually drink your water out of the pipe too, or does that lead to buying more bottled water?

:rolleyes: