Gross...or not so gross

tcripp

This is taken from medicgirl05's post about her sheets. When I first started working full time EMS, I would take my sheets home after every shift - 48hr or otherwise - and give them a good wash. As someone said, you didn't know what "icky" was on them. Even funnier, I probably spent several weeks just trying to determine what sheets to buy. (You should read my blog on this one...)

Anyway, not much more than a year later, I find myself taking them home at the end of each month when we switch stations. And, frankly, I didn't get to bring them at the end of June...so I'm off to 2 months at this rate. I figure, if I get icky enough on a call, I'm changing uniforms anyway. It's amazing how our thoughts change as we age in this profession.

Another for me? When I first started, I slept in full uniform - minus the boots. I was afraid that I would sleep too soundly and wouldn't wake for the tones. And, here I am now...pants and socks on a chair just waiting for me. And, I'm speeling much better on shift. :D

So, I thought this would make a good topic of conversation. What were your grandeous ideals when you started and where are you now?

Toni

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. When I first started it didn't matter what...I always scrubbed my hands between each call all the way up to my elbows. Now, hand sanitized will do...provided I'm not filthy.

Same way with my sheets...used to wash them on my 48 hour break, and my comforter. Finally I just got to where I would do it once a week...and shove them in my locker.

Gloves used to be worn from the time I pulled up on scene until the time I dropped my patient off at the hospital. Now, I wear gloves when there's a risk of body fluid contact.

• 2 years later...

When I first started we were on 19hr rotating shifts. I would stay up, having come from my other full time job of 50+ hours a week..I was totally exhausted, but terrified that I'd sleep too deeply and right through a dispatched call. Here I am, 3 years later, and will now go to sleep at the drop of a hat..my new partner is the same way..I'm trying to tell her otherwise, but to no avail. Ive learned so much in the past three years.. like I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did, and still have tons to learn. I try to pick up whatever I can now and apply it. It's made me a better EMT.

When I first started we were on 19hr rotating shifts. I would stay up, having come from my other full time job of 50+ hours a week..I was totally exhausted, but terrified that I'd sleep too deeply and right through a dispatched call. Here I am, 3 years later, and will now go to sleep at the drop of a hat..my new partner is the same way..I'm trying to tell her otherwise, but to no avail. Ive learned so much in the past three years.. like I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did, and still have tons to learn. I try to pick up whatever I can now and apply it. It's made me a better EMT.

I hope you learned how important sleep is and how dangerous it is being awake and trying to work, never mind drive, for that long.

I hope you learned how important sleep is and how dangerous it is being awake and trying to work, never mind drive, for that long.

Mike I learned to close my eyes and get a nap whenever possible when I was in the Navy.

All these years later still can do it. a short 30 minute nap will get me refreshed and ready for another five or six hours.

Night or day when my head hits the pillow by the time my wife counts to 60 , I'm out and into deep sleep. I don't move at all or roll around for 6 hours.

Too many years of shift work has definatly altered my normal circadian rhythm.

I've always been more of a night owl anyway so daytime sleeping isn't hard for me. Now a days with her 2nd shift schedule we usually get to bed around 01:30 and up at 07:30 ish. somedays we are really lazy and sleep in till 08:30

I was just like you, tcripp, slept in my gear (minus belt and boots) so I wouldn't miss the call. Being volly I didn't have the sheet issue but instead of bed I slept on the couch as to not get too comfortable. 4 years later I sleep in bed in pajamas LOL all the cloths wait for me on the back of the chair.

Still wear gloves all the time, just because it doesn't look icky or gooey doesn't mean its clean.

Germs don't bother me much. Still wash my hands between calls guess its just ingrained by this point. I always laugh at hand sanitizer, think of it this way there are around 200 million germs on your hands at any given time, most sanitizers kill 99.99% of germs, 0.01% live. 2 million doesn't sound so clean. :devil:

Being a shift worker I know what you mean about the rhythm being off. I can sleep almost anywhere and at the drop of a dime. 30 min or so and I feel revived enough for another few hours. When I do get to sleep in its wonderful but not often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.