No Experience EMT Job Resume?

I have been doing job searches for EMT's in my area (Dallas/Ft Worth) and find that alot want a resume. I was wondering if anyone has made a kickass resume for their first EMT job out of EMT schooling? What did you include on it? What kind of template did you use? Any advice or suggestions on making a really eye-catching resume when you don't have any prior EMT experience other than your clinicals? Thanks!

I was in your position not too long ago. Things I would highly recommend including any volunteer work that you have done, whether it be medical or not. I have found that employers love any sort of volunteer work. Include any significant educational achievements you have such as a college degree. Do you have any work experience outside of EMS? Include that and any references you can. I always include 3, and would suggest asking maybe instructors from your EMT class or those you did ride outs/clinicals with (depending on the relationship you built with them) for letters of recommendation to include in your application packet with your resume. Just keep your resume short, organized and to the point. Highlight the skills you are proficient at or have had experience/special training with. I include these things in mine, and things have turned out alright for me so...

As for the structure of your resume, it kind of depends on what you have to put in it. There are a lot of templates out on the internet that you can google and use. If you would like, I can send you the one that I used for mine. You just have to find a format that works for your life experiences.

Hope that helps and good luck!

It would be GREAT if you could email me your template and even a copy of your resume so I could get an idea of what it looks like! I start EMT schooling in August and won't be certified until December, so it will be awhile till I have to make one, but I want to be totally ready to apply for jobs as soon as I certify!! My email is amandastegmanhughes@gmail.com. Thanks again!!

It would be GREAT if you could email me your template and even a copy of your resume so I could get an idea of what it looks like! I start EMT schooling in August and won't be certified until December, so it will be awhile till I have to make one, but I want to be totally ready to apply for jobs as soon as I certify!! My email is amandastegmanhughes@gmail.com. Thanks again!!

Here's a great format

demographics section (centered) include name addy, phone number and email

You can include or decide not to include a summary of what you can provide to the right company and what you are really looking for.

Next include your Work experience. As an EMT applicant you shouldn't really have any EMS experience unless you volunteered. So go with your past 4-5 jobs unless you've worked at the same place for years

Next give your education info - what schools, what you studied and when you graduated. Include your current classes at the top of this section

Next put this sentence in References: Upon Request

Do not make the resume more than one page. I repeat, NO More than ONE page or it most likely will end up in the trash. (I know this)

If you would like to put together something or a list of your jobs and education, along with your demographics I'll fire you up a resume and send it to you. I'll even do the resume in two or three different styles, such as functional, chronological and one other.

The key to a successful resume is this, each resume should ideally be written to the job you are applying for.

If this job is in Orange county and you got your training in Orange county you can put an emphasis on that.

It the job is for a tactical medic job, then any tactical EMS and other types of that classes should be emphasized.

No longer is it safe to send out a generic single option resume. Mix it up, focus it on the job applied for and you will be way above and ahead of the rest of the applicants in the gene pool.

One other thing, NEVER NEVER NEVER lie, not even a little white lie.

the other thing is if you have a facebook or myspace(get rid of the myspace account) then you need to clean it up. No offensive posts, take politics, religion and all that out of your facebook page. Get rid of all the pictures that your mom would not like to see if she were on facebook. If you have inappropriate pictures on your facebook page and I was doing the hiring, I'd put you in the NO pile. It shouldn't matter a whole hill of beans but it does.

My email is ruffems@gmail.com

My offer is valid until midnight tonight -- JUST kidding.

Michael

• Like 1

Even if you have volunteer experience, I wouldn't list it in DFW. It just tells the employer that you aren't in it for the long term.

Not like you're going to get an EMS job right out of school anyhow. Non-emergency taxi driving is the only job you'll possibly get, and they don't expect experience. In fact, if you already have experience, it probably means you got fired somewhere.

I would like to also add that EVERYONE should have a personal and professional email address.

Make sure you place the PROFESSIONAL email address on your CVs.

I do not want to see bigdaddy@aol.com or kewlchick83@gmail.com...you get my point.

Create an email that is your name if possible or first initial last name or something of that nature.

• Like 1

You mean that Turnip@freezeyourassoff.ca is unacceptable .. :iiam:

Seriously AK a very good point.

Thank you all so much for the advice! Im not expecting a job diretly out of school, especially since I will be heading in to Paramedic school the semester after I am done with EMT. But there will always be that "first job" and having a kick ass resume will help me, I am sure! Thank you again!

Thank you all so much for the advice! Im not expecting a job diretly out of school, especially since I will be heading in to Paramedic school the semester after I am done with EMT. But there will always be that "first job" and having a kick ass resume will help me, I am sure! Thank you again!

Not to bust chops but if you were smart you'd work as an EMT for a few years before going to Medic school. They base everything in the curriculum on experience and it will be that much harder for you to pass going in with no experience on the street at all.

I've been in this business for 12 years...join a vollie dept if you can too. That's how I started out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.