DC Fire/EMS "policing" DC streets

paramedicmike

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding? This is a great idea!

Yeah, and we can put nurses on the street corners to stop prostitution. While we're at it, let's deputize the meter readers. All the drug dealers will see their bright yellow reflective vests and cease and desist all illegal activities!

We'll just deter crime by putting people with jobs in high crime areas. Obviously people with jobs scare away the criminals!

I'm sure glad I have a job. No crime will ever happen around me in my ambulance!

That mayor is a visionary!!! Go mayor, go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back before the FDNY EMS merger, NYC (HHC) EMS went from a stopsign shaped badge, to one similar in style to that of the NYPD and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey PD. PAPD has 2 seals, states of NY and NJ, NYC EMS had the seal of NY City, and a star of life.

Many voiced an opinion that we'd be mistaken for LEOs, and shot at. I opined that anyone would shoot a LEO would shoot anyone with a glint of metal on the left side of their jacket or shirt, even a child wearing a Sheriff Billy Bangbang plastic star.

(This kind of reopens the old strings on work uniform badges or not)

Even gangbangers know we will come help abuelita or their buddy that OD.

If EMS and FF are forced to change our universal humanitarian practice it makes our job more dangerous. Always. Not just at crime scenes. Not

surprised it started in DC.

Exactly right. I am a medical professional. I heal people's bodies. Sometimes their hearts. I don't police them or turn them in for having a bag of weed. I lecture them about taking better care of themselves and do my best to fix their problem.

If I wanted to be in the line of fire, I'd reenlist. Don't they realize that once criminals become comfortable with our presence, they will start shooting us for our narc boxes?

If this becomes the norm, I'm going to work in a hospital. EMS doesn't pay enough for that shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk