DC Fire/EMS "policing" DC streets

paramedicmike

This is a horrible idea for so many reasons.

First, I disagree with the idea that gang bangers are intimidated by fire trucks and EMS personal. They know we're not the police... I don't see how this is any better than posting a mail man to guard a neighborhood. Or a trash man. Gang bangers don't care if an "adult" is watching them perpetrate a crime. These are the people who will kill you just because they want your shoes.

Second, do we want to be associated with law enforcement? My community loves me... they hate the "pigs" though.

Third, when a medical emergency (or fire) occurs, why should the high crime areas get the faster response time? This sounds like it really messes up deployment.

Did we not see this coming? The FD has already been involved with EMS so the next logical step was to include them in law enforcement.[sarcasm] Seriously though, this is such a bad idea. You are now making the FFs and EMS personnel sitting targets. The criminals know why they are there and that they are unarmed. What could possibly go wrong? These are the people that would have no problem jumping in the back of an ambulance to steal narcs, but putting an engine or an ambulance on their corner is going to make them behave? Maybe the mayor and other politicians should take a shift to see what a bad idea this is.

Maybe the mayor and other politicians should take a shift to see what a bad idea this is.

Never going to happen. first off, they'd never deliberaqtely go anywhere where their person would be in danger, and second, even if they did, their security detail would be so obviously out of place in "da 'hood", the "bangers" would figure out that interfering would be a bad idea.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Yeah man...craziness.

So much of what we do now relies on trust; A complete separateness from law enforcement. 80% of the high risk populations for drugs/alcohol/child issues won't give me the information that I want/need if the line is blurred more than it is already.

Oh, and there's the fact of course that it will not happen and if it does, simply won't work.

This is as bad of an idea, as say, wearing handcuffs on scene? (tongue partially in cheek)

Dwayne

It's so funny that they actually think the uniforms will present a safe atmosphere.

A couple of minutes here should dispel that idiotic myth ---> http://www.odmp.org/

Edited by Dustdevil

Just like a typical EMS guy; bringing an AED to a gun fight... Is bunker gear made out of kevlar?

Unless Mr. Miyagi has made carrying up hoses up several flights or CPR into a Karate Lesson; the Fire and EMS Personnel should wait for Police... Our role is not to roll with perps; maybe Fire 101 could be incorporated: Stop, drop, and roll... Somehow, OPQRST will work against a gun or a dozen of wild people? DCAPBTLS will be assessed after they're done with the Provider.

Armored Guards carry guns and wear vests but they're trained not to draw their weapon unless they really have to. Outnumbered, outgunned, or outsmarted? Let them take the $$$... Security 101 is to observe and report; intervene is a last option... So why is DC so stupid? It's one of the most unsafe Cities in America...