Sponge checking in !

USMC_LB

I am not a EMT or an active student. I am a private citizen who is highly interested in learning all I can about Medical Emergencies, Trauma Care and First Aid.

I am currently finishing up three different medical / first aid kits:

1) Individual VOK / Trauma kit

2) M3 bag kit

3) Medical Backpack

I also have plans for an organized, resupply case/trunk.

I joined here to learn as much as I can and to help get me pointed in the right direction for good civilian training.

Thanks, LB

• Like 1

I am not a EMT or an active student. I am a private citizen who is highly interested in learning all I can about Medical Emergencies, Trauma Care and First Aid.

I am currently finishing up three different medical / first aid kits:

1) Individual VOK / Trauma kit

2) M3 bag kit

3) Medical Backpack

I also have plans for an organized, resupply case/trunk.

I joined here to learn as much as I can and to help get me pointed in the right direction for good civilian training.

Thanks, LB

First off, Welcome to the City. Now, a few questions. Some will be intended for laughs, others solid questions.

As your name indicates you as a member, past or presently active, of the USMC, I will presume you to be a US citizen. Are you preparing for the earthquake that will turn Arizona into the new Pacific Coastline, the zombie takeover of Wichita, the extraterrestrial invasion of Fargo, or someone setting off a "Tsar Bomb" nuke over DC?

There will always be incidents requiring medical personnel, in a widespread area disaster, particularly. We are, as of this posting, approaching the 100th anniversary of the Great San Francisco Quake, as one example.

If you don't wish to join the local volunteer ambulance service or fire department, what about the local Citizen's Emergency Response Teams?

About a year ago, someone mentioned a "super-mega-trauma-medical bag", which seemed to be better equipped than some Emergency Departments. Questions were raised on this forum about the need for licensing for the administration of narcotics in the bag, and, until needed, storage of them, as well as replacing expired narcotics at the end of their shelf lives. Then, the cost of such a bag, which seemed to be approaching the cost of a new Buick sedan.

So, why would you need the bag, where would you use it and contents, and store it between disasters? Also, how would you pay for it, as in some disaster scenarios I have been involved with (table-top drills), would have money being worthless, with spies and foragers willing to kill you for yours?

Forgive my ramblings, it's been a long day for me, today, and I should already be asleep.

There's no space between the end of your sentence and the punctuation marks.

What's the purpose of three separate medical kits if you don't know what you're doing with the equipment?

In what kind of training are you interested?

There are an awful lot of possibilities with this situation.

I just thought of some possible reading material you might want to check out. "Emergency Care" from Brady, "Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured" by the AAOS, "Emergency Care in the Streets" by Dr. Caroline, or numerous first aid books from the American Red Cross or American Heart Association.

As your name indicates you as a member, past or presently active, of the USMC, I will presume you to be a US citizen.

Yep, I am former Marine infantry ( 0311 knuckle-dragger ) looking for knowledge. Not looking to be a superman save the day type. Just want to find out what I need, what I dont need and to learn how to "properly" use what I do have.

Are you preparing for the earthquake that will turn Arizona into the new Pacific Coastline, the zombie takeover of Wichita, the extraterrestrial invasion of Fargo, or someone setting off a "Tsar Bomb" nuke over DC?

Not really on the look-out for nuke toting zombies or swarms of E.T.s... we don't get those alot around here, but thanks for giving me a headsup! =)

There will always be incidents requiring medical personnel, in a widespread area disaster, particularly. We are, as of this posting, approaching the 100th anniversary of the Great San Francisco Quake, as one example. If you don't wish to join the local volunteer ambulance service or fire department, what about the local Citizen's Emergency Response Teams?

Not really looking to join a local or volunteer team at the moment. But maybe in the future.

I live in a small rural county that sits next to a large metro county. Both counties are located on a large but long dormant fault line. We have had a few local public gatherings about disasters and disaster recovery/relief and honestly I was dis-heartened by their lack of prep and organization at the political level.

The first-responders will have their hands full for a long time.

My family and several of my friends families that are very close knit decided to do some preps. Nothing overboard by any means. but better than sitting around wondering why the govt. has not saved us yet...I am not trying to be the end all of all things medical. Not looking to perform surgeries, I just want to be prepared as much as I can.

I also enjoy several shooting sports and carry a small kit in case someone is injured. I could possibly apply a dressing/tourniquet and help keep them alive until the cavalry arrives.

I know that gear is not enough, hence why i am here to learn what I can or to listen to advice on what classes are available for someone like me.

About a year ago, someone mentioned a "super-mega-trauma-medical bag", which seemed to be better equipped than some Emergency Departments. Questions were raised on this forum about the need for licensing for the administration of narcotics in the bag, and, until needed, storage of them, as well as replacing expired narcotics at the end of their shelf lives. Then, the cost of such a bag, which seemed to be approaching the cost of a new Buick sedan.

Yep, I believe I have seen that bag with all the narcotics on the Internetz.... I am sure the Airsoft / Zombie forums were drooling. Some ppl have alot of money to buy alot of stuff. If they enjoy doing that then, hey, it's a free country. Its just not cup of tea to try and impress alot of ppl with expensive gear. I believe experienced ppl can do more with less, than the clueless can do in a hospital full of stuff.

Also, I do not have any plans of stocking narcotics so that is not a concern of mine.

So, why would you need the bag, where would you use it and contents, and store it between disasters? Also, how would you pay for it, as in some disaster scenarios I have been involved with (table-top drills), would have money being worthless, with spies and foragers willing to kill you for yours?

Forgive my ramblings, it's been a long day for me, today, and I should already be asleep.

We have thought alot about all those scenarios and some times you have to just do what you can do. You can prepare for everything and then lose it all, God forbid, in a house fire, a tornado or a multitude of chance disasters.

Like I have said, I am not a medical professional and not interested in wanting to pretend I am one. Just looking for solid skills to use with a bare bones kit.

What's the purpose of three separate medical kits if you don't know what you're doing with the equipment?

In what kind of training are you interested?

1) A small kit for Trauma

2) A larger M3 kit that would be easier to tote than a backpack and capable of handling multiple injuriesas well as a boo-boo kit for non serious stuff.

3) The backpack would be a resupply for the M3 bag as well as overflow gear / items that are seldom used but could possible be needed at some point.

All other overflow (bandages, dressings, etc) are in sealed plastic totes.

These kits hopefully will never be used. But in case they are, I want to be capable and confident.

Thanks for the tips on reading material. I have already been eyeing several of those titles.

Please keep the questions and advise coming!

Thanks, LB

• Like 1

There's supposed to be a large inactive (?) fault line in the middle of the US ( New Madrid, MO). Last time it went (twice in 1812), supposedly reversed the flow of the Mississippi River, and felt in the New York city region.

(Speaking fault lines, there's one running under the Indian Point (NY) Nucleaqr Generating Station)

Edited by Richard B the EMT

There's supposed to be a large inactive (?) fault line in the middle of the US ( New Madrid, MO).

bingo! thats the one!! Someone get Richard a prize. ;)

Other than taking a EMT class or joining a volunteer department, is there any other avenues available to private citizens

wanting to learn basic no-frills trauma skills. Please advise.

LB

bingo! thats the one!! Someone get Richard a prize. ;)

Other than taking a EMT class or joining a volunteer department, is there any other avenues available to private citizens

wanting to learn basic no-frills trauma skills. Please advise.

LB

Hey LB, I'm from the KC MO area. Good to see you on here.

I would seriously get into a emt class. The knowledge from the emt books or whatever reading material that you were given advice on is only as good as the class that goes with it. It only really takes 2 nights a week for about 4 months, or a little bit longer.

You will thank yourself and me and Richard for having you take the class. It will allow you to put all the stuff you read in the book in a semblence of order. Who knows, maybe you will embark on a new career or whatever.

Good luck. Just don't go rob the pharmacy to get the narcs when you can probably buy em off a high schooler somewhere in your town. ha ha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.