My Taxi Service

Dust, it was a blatant 911 abuse call. The point of my story is valid.

Patients don't cause EMS abuse. EMS causes EMS abuse by giving the public one number to dial, and no options.

Don't blame the public for the failure of YOUR system. Especially if you are doing nothing to fix it.

Patients don't cause EMS abuse. EMS causes EMS abuse by giving the public one number to dial, and no options.

Don't blame the public for the failure of YOUR system. Especially if you are doing nothing to fix it.

Lol, I was waiting for your retort, and prepared for the debate, but that is a valid point. There should be more options than calling 911. I never considered that. What are you doing to fix it? I'll be glad to help. Let me know.

Do you have 411 down south ?

Most of our EMS dispatch do have a Non-Emerge line, one just has to ask the operator, for 50 cents they will actually connect you.

cheers

411 is considered the number for information (phone numbers, etc...) in the States. Many locales are starting to use 311 as a non-emergency phone line. But it's not an option everywhere yet.

I haven't heard anything definitive on it but there seems to be mixed success with 311.

yea its called 1 800 taxicab, or public trans!

Good idea with potential to backfire

The government here did that, its called "nurse on call" and all they tell them to do is call an ambulance. 10% increase in ambulance workload the year it was introduced

To the original problem:

• Dispatch could have relocated another ambulance to cover your area. They do it all the time here.
  • You could have responded to the other call with the first patient inside your ambulance. Depends on relative location, but if it's near the way and you're significantly faster than another unit, I probably would have offered this choice to dispatch. I did it several times when just transporting otherwise stable patients. Surely depends on your actual patient, I just talk here within the scope of the original setting.
  • In the first place you could have told her to go seeing a doctor for herself, after ruling out any probable injuries. Depends on your argumentation skills and law (we are allowed to argue with patients...).

What would the repercussions be for you if you had kicked her out and rushed to the other site?

Bad choice. If I decide to let her into the "bus" in the first place I won't let her out until she demands or we're arriving to a higher level of care. Especially not "somewhere in no-mans land" (on route).

if rules & regulations stand in the way of patient care - screw 'em.

"Rules are there to think before you break them" (Terry Pratchett)

If he had pulled over and switched sides with the other guy like he was supposed to, according to rules and regulations, that patient would probably be dead today.

Ohoh...if it is THAT close you (general you) don't make it anyway...the thing about saving every minute in driving is a myth (rare exceptions apply).

I've also heard of instances where people have (successfully) "intubated" with one of these: [OPA]

Would be more impressive if s.o. talks about not successfully "intubating" with such one. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.