How to be EMT if you are not US citizen?

Hello. I am currently a General and Family doctor in Spain. <br style="line-height: 17px; ">I was looking for information to become into a EMT in USA (any level is good, i dont care to start like a EMT-B) but i still have several doubts about if is posible for me to do it and how to do it. I don´t know if i can prepare the exams from spain and then make the exams or i also can do the exams here in spain (i don´t think so). I read that you have to be an US citizen to make the exams and work like EMT . Well i am really lost about what should i do so please if someone can explain me every step to do it, requeriments, advices, etc...

I checked tons of webpages and information, but i can not clarify how to do it so i would thank you a lo t every single information that you can give me.

Thanks so much!

Sorry i dont know why i opened 2 topics. Please delete 1.

Sorry again

In the United States each individual state is responsible for EMT requirements. Here in California, non-citizens can become EMTs and Paramedics, though it may be different in other states (and different companies will have different hiring policies).

That fact that you're already a doctor will help you greatly. I know in California, if you're an MD you can take a challenge test and if you prove that your skills and knowledge are good enough you can get your license after a quick field internship. Though, I wonder why an MD would want to become a medic. I don't know what it takes to become a doctor in Spain, but I'm sure it's alot of training and formal education (I would assume way more than a US Medic, and I KNOW way more more than an EMT-B, which you seem happy becoming). I'm sure that you could probably become a doctor here with minimal effort given your credentials in Spain. I'm not sure what steps you need to take though.

Also, EMT-Bs typically make only slightly better than minimum wage (between $10 and $16 an hour in my area). Medics make more, but doctors make way more. The difference is there are many EMT-Bs and not many jobs. Whereas there are few doctors and a great need for more of them. I'm sure a man as qualified as yourself wouldn't want to be starting at $10 an hour where you could be making a six figure salary.

Edited by Nerd_Slayer

Here in California, non-citizens can become EMTs and Paramedics, though it may be different in other states (and different companies will have different hiring policies).

I believe all US states will allow you to license and work, so long as you have legal US residency. Calif and Texas definitely will. Hell, you don't even have to be a citizen or legal resident to join the military.

But yes, I too would be interested in knowing what madness drives you to consider doing this.

Bro, just take the USMLE steps you need (I think only 3 but might be 2 and 3) and practice medicine

In saying that, medicine means your speciality i.e. general or family medicine, are you a Consultant Physician or still a Registrar?

Ok, i notice that for everybody is more interesting why a Doctor in spain want to become in an EMT in US (basic, intemediate or paramedic).

First of all thanks for your answers, i apreciate all. Of course my intentions are to take USMLE steps in the future to be a doctor there, but i want to go and improve my english, study hard and take the exams when it´s needed, i don´t want to do that here in spain. I dont care if i need 4 years working and studing there, but i know that is the best way (if igo with a student visa dont let me work there so i need a lot of money, i can not get a work visa if i dont pass all the USMLE steps and i have a hospital who offer me to work there and that means 3 or 4 years at least), so i decide that taking a EMT license is a good way to have some money to "live" ( i know is not too much), make contacts there, learn a lot about how american people works and about american health, improve my english and study to become in a doctor.

It is true that doctors in spain have a really good training and education, actually i am already a Doctor in an emergency room here in spain, but it is an experience that i really want to have. In addition to all that, of course there is another reason to think about all that and is that there are a girl there that´s make me looks crazy doing that jejeje. Anyway i want to find the way to do all that being completly independent in case that the relationship does not work because my intentions are to stay there no matter what happends with this girl.

The biggest problem that i have is not to get the EMT license, the problem is after that how to get a work visa to be able to work there like EMT and start studing for the Steps to become a Doctor there (and get married is not an option yet ;) ).

What about the military dustdevil? you told something about california and texas and actually it is texas where i want to go (Houston).

I hope everybody understand what i said... i am trying to improve my english as fast as i can.

No biggie... In NYS, HS diplomas are required but not checked. No Criminal Record for EMS students but it is not checked. You have to be a Legal Resident of the US to be a NYS EMT but like the other requirements; it will not be checked... Good luck on the EMT...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/employment_index.shtml for information on becoming an EMT, Paramedic, or Fire Fighter in the FDNY. They'd have better information on foreign nationals being employed in those titles, or under what circumstances.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.