What do you carry?

I'll gladly defend any piece of equipment you define as "extraneous". I've received employee of the month twice in the last year, and I'm well respected in the local EMS community as a professional who takes my job seriously. I attend every training I can get to, buy the best equipment (and know how to use it), and pride myself in being a pioneer in the EMS industry. Anything you feel like challenging me on, go for. I'll gladly defend my practices as they've been proven to have effective results.

A pioneer in EMS Industry, most curious, so just what cause(s) have you championed ?

As Dwayne stated you express yourself well, have you authored or published something that would enlighten this group ?

The biggest question for me being from "down under" remains just where do you practice and serve your community, what state or territory are you so highly respected ?

Edited by tniuqs

and pride myself in being a pioneer in the EMS industry. Anything you feel like challenging me on, go for.

If you are such a pioneer, please provide us links to the studies, published in a legitimate journal, that have you named as one of the authors.

• Like 1

I'll gladly defend any piece of equipment you define as "extraneous". I've received employee of the month twice in the last year, and I'm well respected in the local EMS community as a professional who takes my job seriously. I attend every training I can get to, buy the best equipment (and know how to use it), and pride myself in being a pioneer in the EMS industry. Anything you feel like challenging me on, go for. I'll gladly defend my practices as they've been proven to have effective results.

I`m unsure wether I can follow you.

Your list seems extraordinarily huge (I`ve posted what I carry, which I think is quite enough, but I don`t condemn people for carrying more). But I think you`ve got the answers you can read above for all your "combat gear". So, since you`ve said they have been proven - do you really think all that combat gear has been proven usefull just after the "dog" incident? I recall you stating, that this was the only time you actually used your kit in reality.

I don`t wish you to be in a dangerous situation, but I doubt that your proven concept will let you master every possible scenario with excellence and remaining health - even though your possesion of handcuffs, pepper spray, knife and 100+ hours of combat training (which - but this is only my own opinion without any real knowledge - doesn`t seem to be that much, at least not enough to feel as secure as you do).

I`m unsure wether I can follow you.

Your list seems extraordinarily huge (I`ve posted what I carry, which I think is quite enough, but I don`t condemn people for carrying more). But I think you`ve got the answers you can read above for all your "combat gear". So, since you`ve said they have been proven - do you really think all that combat gear has been proven usefull just after the "dog" incident? I recall you stating, that this was the only time you actually used your kit in reality.

I don`t wish you to be in a dangerous situation, but I doubt that your proven concept will let you master every possible scenario with excellence and remaining health - even though your possesion of handcuffs, pepper spray, knife and 100+ hours of combat training (which - but this is only my own opinion without any real knowledge - doesn`t seem to be that much, at least not enough to feel as secure as you do).

Good AM, GDay or Guten Morgen ... et all.

Lets do a bit of a statistical "tally" at this part of the movie shall we ?

So far and based on the scenario provided by the good Doctor, firstly some support for his initial question progressing to gentle advice then more suggestive advice, morphing into (and missed) satire and (windshiel washer fluid LOL Dwayne) then an intent go completely off topic and ridecule you that you Sir SD did not pick up.

Counting: A couple of Aussies, a Kanukistanian or 2, multiple truly respected veteran members of EMT City, those with thousands of intelligent posts on the topic of Pre Hospital Care Medicine and some old enough they are retired from some of the busiest and most dangerous stations in the free world. This cross section covers all the way from Coonassville to the Yonkers to the Midwest, in passing your own countrymen. I suspect that the Hitler reference did not go over well with our German / Bavarian friends, just saying.

But that's not all: Called OUT by a highly respected ER MD, may god have mercy on your soul if zilla "Tactical MD" (he has spanked my bare ass in past) or if Dust wanders across this thread. A couple of the above have spent a few vacations in the sandbox, some deployed there today besides some other "austere" hostile settings that would you sir SD would make you shit in your Diaper's.

In of the few Rez's I have worked pepper spraying an angry man with a dog would result in a dog pile style beating from bystanders, hell just packing a "puppy the bounty hunter canister or cuffs" on your bat belt would mark you as a ROOKIE just looking for a "tune up". Then a "BUS" a "RA" a Rescue Ambulance, come on bro, this is jargon used by posers ONLY, take the hint it's not too late to pull up your boots straps.

I will sheepishly / openly admit and in the words of Charlie Sheen: It has amused ME. Yes, I have baited you because you are a reflexive poster and with some glee (my bad ?) just to see just how far you will dig a hole. Its a hole that you should stop digging as Dwayne has suggested as he supported but politely used the back side of an axe right between your eyes, you still didn't pick it up. <sheesh>

The common denominator is that WE as a collective and as a community of professionals are attempting to inform you that your attitude (on -line) is either going to get you in G-Damn serious trouble, lose your practice permit or WORSE.

So now .... its now your call .... respect or disgrace.

• Like 4

tniugs, possibly one of the most intelligent, informative, eloquent, and certainly one of my favorite, posts on the City ever.

I wonder if SD will see the kindness in it?

Dwayne

Gentlemen... ask a police officer how many times he has had to shoot someone. You'll find that the answer is usually zero. Occasionally, you'll find one who has had the unfortunately pleasure of opening fire in the line of duty. If you go to a bad neighborhood, you may find an officer whose had to do it more than once, but they're the exception.

Around here, I don't think any police officer in my county has had to open fire in the last decade. So with your guys logic, they shouldn't carry guns. You'd ask them, "Does that one situation that hypothetically might happen warrant carry a firearm? You're a wacker, dude." They still carry their weapons because of a little thing called the "precautionary principle", which states that you don't wait for the emergency before you start preparing.

But I think you`ve got the answers you can read above for all your "combat gear". So, since you`ve said they have been proven - do you really think all that combat gear has been proven usefull just after the "dog" incident? I recall you stating, that this was the only time you actually used your kit in reality.

I've never use the term "combat gear". I have combat training (close quarters, firearms, hand-to-hand, building searches, raids, vehicle extractions, and so on), but the extent of my "combat gear" is pepper spray (which, as I've stated before, 16 year old girls carry in their purses). That hardly makes up a "combat kit".

Personally, I think if everyone carried OC (not just first responders), the world would be a much safer place. It's a highly effective less-than-lethal weapon, very low risk, and easy to use. This is why even kids can use it.

The handcuffs can be seen as a bit much, I acknowledge that. I've been carrying them for years, and have just made a habit out of it. I've never used them before, but it's really not a big deal to pack them in a pouch just so they're available if the day comes I need them.

ective and as a community of professionals are attempting to inform you that your attitude (on -line) is either going to get you in G-Damn serious trouble, lose your practice permit or WORSE.

So now .... its now your call .... respect or disgrace.

No disrespect to you guys, but I couldn't give a rat's ass about post count. If a EMT-B has a thousand posts, I respect the EMT-P with a dozen posts as the guy having more training. For the exception of the ER Doctor, I am just as high, if not higher, than most of you on the respect scale. So to you, respect or disgrace.

You guys all seem like cool people. But you can't argue with results. And I bring the results.

I've never use the term "combat gear". I have combat training (close quarters, firearms, hand-to-hand, building searches, raids, vehicle extractions, and so on), but the extent of my "combat gear" is pepper spray (which, as I've stated before, 16 year old girls carry in their purses). That hardly makes up a "combat kit".

Personally, I think if everyone carried OC (not just first responders), the world would be a much safer place. It's a highly effective less-than-lethal weapon, very low risk, and easy to use. This is why even kids can use it.

I only used the terms "combat gear" and "combat kit" as a summary of the items you carry, in absence of a better term.

Well, even if everybody carried OC , I doubt if the world would be a better place.

Imagine, in an unarmed crowd, the one person with pepper spray is possibly the one with the best weapon (yeah, I know, combat training, hand-to-hand...).

So if anybody in the crowd got pepperspray - do you really think the one person that does want to hurt others in that group of people, or wants to threaten them, etc. etc. would also have only pepperspray? Logically he would be better armed, and therefore the people with the OC would be in the shit again... you can follow that line with any other weapons.

• Like 1

No disrespect to you guys, but I couldn't give a rat's ass about post count. If a EMT-B has a thousand posts, I respect the EMT-P with a dozen posts as the guy having more training. For the exception of the ER Doctor, I am just as high, if not higher, than most of you on the respect scale. So to you, respect or disgrace.

Sorry, SD. Respect doesn't come from a certification or a class of license, it has to be earned by being a constructive member of the community.

• Like 2

Gentlemen... ask a police officer how many times he has had to shoot someone. You'll find that the answer is usually zero. Occasionally, you'll find one who has had the unfortunately pleasure of opening fire in the line of duty. If you go to a bad neighborhood, you may find an officer whose had to do it more than once, but they're the exception.

And how many of those that answer "zero" only do it to shut the little ghouls up? I absolutely HATE being asked "What's the worst thing you've ever seen?"! Obviously, the worst I've seen is the stuff I would most likely want to NOT remember....

Around here, I don't think any police officer in my county has had to open fire in the last decade. So with your guys logic, they shouldn't carry guns. You'd ask them, "Does that one situation that hypothetically might happen warrant carry a firearm? You're a wacker, dude." They still carry their weapons because of a little thing called the "precautionary principle", which states that you don't wait for the emergency before you start preparing. .

Law Enforcement carries a side-arm because its part of their duty gear. OC spray, handcuffs and the other accoutrements that you profess to carry/possess 'just in case' are more related to Law Enforcement than they EVER will be related to EMS.

Again, more geared toward Law Enforcement than EMS. You come off as someone who walks around like Billy Bad-ass, just LOOKING for a 'reason' to drop kick the shit out of someone for looking at you sideways, and you wonder why you're being called out on this and labeled a 'whacker'..... :rolleyes:

If everyone carried OC, we'd have a shit-load of people laying on the ground crying, slobbering and gasping for breath. There's a reason that not every chucklehead who wants it can get it.....

The handcuffs can be seen as a bit much, I acknowledge that. I've been carrying them for years, and have just made a habit out of it. I've never used them before, but it's really not a big deal to pack them in a pouch just so they're available if the day comes I need them.

The thing is...if you NEED handcuffs in EMS, you're probably in a situation that you would have been better off waiting for Law Enforcement to secure before you went running in like some 'junior coder'. It's that VERY attitude that will get you, your partner, or your patient FUBAR-ed in very short order....not to mention getting you standing before a judge/jury.

You guys all seem like cool people. But you can't argue with results. And I bring the results.

Your arrogance isn't going to win you any friends around these here parts, pal. As far as respect....you're heading in the wrong direction with your posts and your attitude to EARN respect around here. Dismissing the EMT-B as 'insignificant' and unable to contribute anything of any value is the wrong way to look at it. Rather than dismiss them as 'insignificant', you should be fulfilling your responsibility to encourage them to further their education.

Remember this: Even Superman had a weakness...his was kryptonite; yours appears to be everything above your shoulders!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.