What do you carry?

The concept of an "RA" that is staffed by "2 EMT's" with "different lights and sirens" is just retarded, and what are you, an EMT or a medic?

It made sense when the term was invented. Our county had different types of ambulances. The RA had lights and sirens (and was staffed by at least two EMTs), the "van" didn't have emergency lights and was usually staffed by one EMT and one driver (back when there weren't a million EMTs, we hired laypeople to drive) and was used to respond to non-emergency requests for an ambulance.

It actually made sense to do it this way. Instead of occupying an RA with a "I stubbed my toe, so drive me to the hospital" call, they'd send some kid driver and an EMT in a non-emergency van to taxi them while the area RA stayed available for a legit emergency. The vans were alot cheaper to maintain since they didn't have all the equipment an RA had, plus the crew wasn't paid as much (the driver got around minimum wage and the EMT got a little better. A medic was never on the van). Also, the vans stayed parked at one of our centers when they weren't responding to a call, thus they didn't require as much gas.

They changed this system about a decade ago when they began retiring the vans and switching to only RAs. We no longer hire drivers; everybody is an EMT.

We also call our RAs "buses", which confuses everybody. I'm not sure why, but I figure it comes from the van/RA period.

As for me, I'm an EMT-P. I started working as a basic, skipped intermediate and went through EMT-P program at a local college while working.

BushyFromOz' timestamp='1310678663' post='261487']

Too funny! I didn't know you got grasshoppers over there turnip ;)

Yeah was going to say something about the correct Continent, let alone the correct "colonies" but apparently the red maple leaf in my avatar is not "understood" go figure, psst look north not turn upside down !

Hey you can keep those suicidal grasshoppers, child eating dingos, poisonous snakes, killer insects, cane toads and of course those harmless pet "Salties" on your very safe OZ "back country roads". :whistle:

I will be most happy to keep Swamp Donkeys, Bears, Wolves and Cougars (especially those will cell phone numbers) and we have more than enough suicidal 4 legged ungulates but thanks for the offer,I dont think they would fair well at - 40 C .. :shiftyninja:

Quote: Shock Doctor:

As for me, I'm an EMT-P. I started working as a basic, skipped intermediate and went through EMT-P program at a local college while working.

From a First Aider Outreach Church program (working with no education volunteers) to a EMT on a Rescue Ambulance "Bus" with Combat Training, a martial arts expert with OC certification and licence to pack handcuffs, and now an EMT-P this all in one thread about what do you wear on your person .. WOW I am impressed beyond words. :punk:

I guess I need to get more crap for my belt to keep up with this ..

Edited by tniuqs

Holy hell, Batman! It's Johnny Gage and Eugene Tackleberry rolled into one, with special training from Chuck Norris (I wonder if this guy's name is James Braddock?)!

With your whopping '100 hours of combat training', OC spray and handcuffs, you're only educated enough to wind up in jail (or the local ER when someone decides to shove your handcuffs up your ass).

You are nothing more than a nusiance to society, and all of your fantastic super hero training is going to make you nothing more than a statistic.

As far as your dog bite scenario,there are MANY of us that would have handled that differently! The first order of business would be to stage until Animal Control and local Law Enforcement could secure the scene. This is the ONLY 'logical and intelligent' option!

If you're not a Law Enforcement Officer, then WHY do you feel there's a NEED to carry handcuffs in the first place? :shiftyninja:

• Like 1

And with this from respected LS:

With your whopping '100 hours of combat training', OC spray and handcuffs, you're only educated enough to wind up in jail (or the local ER when someone decides to shove your handcuffs up your ass).

Dear Admin or AK:

If I could be so bold, could you move this from general discussion to "Funny Stuff" because its is more fitting as this thread progresses.

Man, SD, I'm guessing you're not impressed with the responses that you've gotten here, but it's just so foreign man, the way that you think.

I've been a medic in Afghanistan, in a rural town of 10,000 that was redneck/meth/ETOH heaven, in the city, on the oil spill in southern LA (redneck/Cajun/Coonass heaven) and now in the oil fields and I've not seen the issues that you are preparing for. I think the thing that goes unsaid here is that there is a reason that you prepare for so much trouble, and it might be your scene management skills.

Serious questions, not busting your balls...

Why do you want to carry handcuffs? What situations are you having/have you had that warranted the need for, or even more confusing, the desire for them? What can they do for you besides impress the badge bunnies and create a bunch of liability that can't be resolved as well with soft restraints and Curlex?

If you're truly an expert in martial arts, then you know the reason that most reputable systems don't advocate carrying weapons upon your person is that it causes you to follow a different decision tree, right? Causes you to think weapons/martial aids when you should instead be thinking diplomacy? And please don't burst my bubble by saying that that is true for most people, but not for you.

Though your posts are polite, well written and respectful, too much of the things that you claim to believe are in conflict with what I believe the reality of EMS to be. You seem intelligent yet many of your theories come off as a Basic pretending to be a medic wanting to compare L/S for your private vehicle.

I'm just having a hard time, as it seems many are, getting a bead on you. Non of my comments meant to be insulting, but only specific, so that you can see how you appear to present here, at least as I see it.

I'm glad that you've stuck around! That shows major balls as this hasn't been a free ride for you by any means...

Dwayne

I work in one of the top 10 busiest ambulances in the nation. In a horrible part of town.

If people are going buckwild on the ambo you know what I do? Call the cops and drive away. Or throw the body in the ambo and drive away.

I wouldnt even waste time with pepper spray. I carry a knife....mainly as a tool, but for a last resort self defense.

Yes, my partner and I have had to tussle. It's a fact. Carrying all that shit just gets in the way.

99.999999999% of the time they love seeing us on scene. Even the retard ghetto thugs will carry a jump bag for me if I ask.

100 hours of combat training. Would love to see you get dropped off in my ambo with this attitude.

However---whatever you like to do right? Your preference bro. More power to ya.

• Like 2

I carry a knife....mainly as a tool, but for a last resort self defence.

Yes, my partner and I have had to tussle. It's a fact. Carrying all that shit just gets in the way.

Edited by tniuqs

I've worked in the roughest parts of Detroit (Highland Park, Harper Woods, Ferndale, the 'Cass Corridor'; to name a few) and I've NEVER needed the kind of training or firepower/weaponry that the good Doctor' advocates.

The most important weapons I carried was common sense, courtesy, logic, compassion and an over active ability to pay attention to my surroundings....

Hey you can keep those suicidal grasshoppers, child eating dingos, poisonous snakes, killer insects, cane toads and of course those harmless pet "Salties" on your very safe OZ "back country roads". :whistle:

Thats awesome coming from the mob who gave us Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, mental NHL players, the Mark 1 Ross Rifle, Canadians who only speak french and Whinnie the frickin Pooh!

Grasshoppers make good eating, salties make goos jackets and its questional whether the dingo ate the baby or not.

Whatever happened to just having an ambulance with ambo's on it? rescue is what smokies are for, policing is what police are for and im sure theres something else i can put here but i cant think of one right now....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.