Trauma sears

Penlight

Sharpie

Ballpoint pen

Couple pairs of gloves

Stethoscope

EMS field guide

Off Duty:

1 pair of gloves and a face shield on my key chain.

Funny thing... none of the critical patients call me a wanker when I'm SAVING THEIR LIVES!

I'm on a local outreach's group first aid team, so I have my own AED (they helped chip in for it).

And no, I'm not a police officer... but where I live, the nearest police officer may be twenty minutes away (if he responds code 3), so the OC and handcuffs are a must. Scene safety is something we don't like to take lightly.

• Like 2

BAhahahahaha!, Thats just too funny!

Dude, in nearly 4 years of being a career paramedic i have never had the urge to say "i'm saving critical patients LIVES" Your first aid crew must be doin some hard yards man, cause after a couple of thousand jobs under my belt theres only a handful of people i had who were really critical and only 1 that i can honeslty say was saved by our direct inervention.

And you do take scene safety lightly, it isn't about going in with your first aid kit, OC spray and handcuffs, its about not going there in the first place.

• Like 1

On my person:

Pocket knife.

Wallet

Wedding ring.

In my vehicle:

Spare water

Extra windshield washer fluid

Spare tire

Dwayne

This was a great post... I have agree with Dwayne and others... Currently my spare is on the axle and the water was ingested as a result of trying to get the rusted nut off in 90 degree humid weather...

Funny thing... none of the critical patients call me a wanker when I'm SAVING THEIR LIVES!

I'm on a local outreach's group first aid team, so I have my own AED (they helped chip in for it).

And no, I'm not a police officer... but where I live, the nearest police officer may be twenty minutes away (if he responds code 3), so the OC and handcuffs are a must. Scene safety is something we don't like to take lightly.

Even if I agree that buff belts are an overkill, I can't insult a person who is very serious about their task at hand (many are not). The more or less you have on your belt, doesn't reflect the abilities you possess as a Provider...

On my duty belt/person:

Gloves - Latex and Nitrile

Shears - by Mabis

Flashlights - penlight and Pelican tactical light

Littman III Stethoscope

Handcuffs - S&W Model 100

CPR/BVM Hybrid Mask

Pepper spray - Fox Labs 5.3 million SHU

Radio - dept issued (with my own ear piece and shoulder mic)

Business Cards/Certifications (on a strap around my neck)

Cell phone

EPI Pen

Flip Knife (in a boot holster)

Off Duty (in my Nissan):

AED - by Phillips

Assorted First Aid Kit (gauze, bandages, antiseptic, basic stuff)

TASER - X2 with spare cartridge

Pepper Spray - another bottle of Fox Labs 5.3 million SHU, also a can of Streetwise 2 million SHU (but 17% for a longer sting)

CPR Mask

Littmann I Stethoscope

I'm curious to see what other people carry. post your lists.

In NYC, pepper spray and tazer guns are illegal to carry or possess in the car... What are laws for that in your Village/Town/City/County?

I go commando .... opps wrong thread.

Ok Fail ... do not subject yourself to an unsafe scene in the first place ! Best advice Dear Puppy the Bounty Hunter, is leave your OC and cuffs at home, your just asking for a lawsuit, if a patient can fight they are not that sick or that injured !

ps goggle "excited delirium"

http://www.exciteddelirium.org/indexwhatisED2.html

Dr. K. Wesley JEMS : http://www.jems.com/article/patient-care/excited-delirium-strikes-witho

Ok full points for TRYING to turn this thread into a teaching experience and no go to the bad place.

Ok .. Fuck it have hit my max tolerance for SAVING LIVES threshold Bull Crap.

- 5 on the dustdevil scale, cant use wanker and saving lives in the same sentence ... its a new rule in the City. So here is the realistic rationalist perspective of an experienced EMS provider / er old intolerant bastard ... just how many people that fall under your care that can actually speak are critical ?

hint ZERO.

<late edit>

In my vehicle:

Spare water

Extra windshield washer fluid

Spare tire

Dwayne

A highly trained road warrior ROFLMAO, is that winter or summer washer fluid ?

Edited by tniuqs

On duty:

wallet

keys (car and ambulance)

radio

pocket drug guide

protocol reference cards

N-95 and mask with face shield (started carrying this after my blood exposure incident)

trauma shears

stethoscope

one or two pairs of gloves

pen, notepad and some forms (privacy info act, paper copy of refusal in case the tablet stops working, PCS)

Off duty:

wallet

keys

phone

Edited by Bieber

On duty:

mobile phone

some money

lighter

cigarettes

fishermans friends

some gloves

EMS field guide (if i don`t forget it, which is fairly often)

Off: duty

the same, except the EMS field guide

Anything else i need is in the car or the rucksack, anything else just wears me down.

And you do take scene safety lightly, it isn't about going in with your first aid kit, OC spray and handcuffs, its about not going there in the first place.

It's a fact that a majority of scenes start out safe but end up deadly. And if the scene becomes threatening, you'll be thankful when I'm there with my gear and 100+ hours of combat training.

In NYC, pepper spray and tazer guns are illegal to carry or possess in the car... What are laws for that in your Village/Town/City/County?

We allow OC and TASERS in the car where I live. We even allow rifles without any sort of license whatsoever. We're hicks, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.