Should I have reported this as a bloodborne pathogen exposure?

My mention of the possible Asbestos exposure should have mentioned that we were also instructed to tell the Worker's Compensation Board to close each of our cases, "without prejudice". This means there's a record, and the case can, if anything asbestos related should turn up in my future, be reopened without problems due to the age of the original exposure.

No exposure, no need to report.

I actually had an exposure a couple of weeks ago, though. First on scene for a moped accident, driver had ETOH on board with massive facial trauma. We walk up to him, shine a light in his face to see what we have, he tells us to get that "fucking light out of my face" and spits blood in both our faces. The fast HIV came back negative on him, so we didn't have to go on any prophylactic meds, but needless to say, now I carry a mask with a face shield in my pocket at all times.

Have you (the OP) never had a blood borne pathogens class?

There are many available on line. I suggest you take one. In its entirety. Without cheating, fast forwarding or trying to skip sections you find boring.

Often those new to the forums take this type of advice as a brush off. It is anything but. It is truly the best advice that you've been given so far. Understanding blood borne pathogen risk is the life blood of responding to emergencies. If you have a family, or anyone at all that loves you, if you plan to be in this business for any length of time at all with any type of peace of mind, you will follow this advice this week, and then again at least every year you treat patients.

Excellent question, and some terribly good advice.

You've shown the balls to post, and participate. Now show that you have the balls to continue to do so. Let us know what you learn from your class...

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.