Visiting NYC and DC in September: help me out

Hey everybody,

Just booked my tickets for my holiday in september, leaving september 5 from Brussels to NYC and returning september 15th from Washington DC to Amsterdam... Who are we? I am an EMT in the Belgian 911 system and a volunteer fire fighter, my wife works for the Antwerp Fire department as a 911 dispatcher and is a volunteer EMT. Except for the traditional tourist stuff we had some questions maybe you guys can help us with.

- Any recomondations on affordable hotels in both NYC and DC?

- What is the best way to travel from NYC to DC without seeing only an airport? (Greyhound, Amtrak?)

- Any tips for visiting both in NYC and DC?

- We choose the date for being there during the 10th aniversary of 9/11, however we can not really find any thing we were wondering if there were any public memorial services we could attend?

- Any chance to visit anything emergency services related?

All tips and info are appreciated...

Regards, Tim and Kristin..

Welcome.... I love Brussels; was there 6 years ago...

Check Quality Inn. They're a cheap reputable chain and they serve free continental breakfast (gotta save $$$; NYC is quite pricey)... If you're in the mood to ride along in a NYC EMS Ambulance; call NY Presbyterian Hospital at 1+2124722222 to speak with someone regarding scheduling a ride-a-long and/or FDNY EMS ride-a-long at 1+7189992770. Check out the FDNY Museum in Tribeca, WTC Memorial in the Financial District, Ground Zero, and all the other touristy locations. $2.25 for the NYC Subway and Bus (one price with free transfers from train to train, train to bus, bus to bus, & bus to train); it will take you almost anywhere in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx (not to Staten Island; you'll need to take a Ferry). Ferry also to Liberty Island...

Buy Frommer's Guide to NYC; worth the $$... Credit Cards are accepted almost everywhere (taxis, NYC Transit, local stores, restaurants, cultural activities... Keep your cash to a minimum...

Enjoy NYC.... Safe trip....

Thanks for the info, I thought FDNY did not do any ride alongs any more, but when this is possible that would be great... Is there maybe an email adres for this service, seen the time difference this would be much easier then calling.

The best way from NYC to DC is via Amtrak. Staying in DC is a different issue. There are lots of hotels depending on where you want to stay. I'd look for places in DC, Arlington, Alexandria or Bethesda areas. Make sure the hotel at which you're staying is close to a Metro station (public transit train) or runs a shuttle to the Metro station. A travel website could probably help you best in this regard.

While in DC, when riding the escalators pretty much everywhere, *especially* in Metro stations, stand to the right and walk on the left. This is a big deal. Trust me on this.

There's a ton to see in DC that's free. The city itself is pretty and worth exploring.

Enjoy your trip.

• 1 month later...

Busy, busy.... gonna go after it today or tomorrow...anyone has a contact mail adres or phone nr for a Washington ride a long?

A mention re 9-11 Memorial Services at "Ground Zero": Due to the construction of the new World Trade Center, space has become such a consideration, especially with President Obama also attending, that, apparently only family members of those who died will be allowed in, by invitation. Members of the FDNY, FDNY EMS Command, other EMS service providers, and the Hardhat Construction people, reportedly, will have their 9-11 ceremony on a different day.

Say WHAT!!!??!?! A Different Day?

News Item from a few hours ago: The then acting Governor of the State of New Jersey was originally denied a ticket to attend, but at the insistance of the current New Jersey Governor, New York City (New York State) Mayor Mike Bloomberg relented, and the previous NJ Governor will attend.

The "Ground Zero/World Trade Center" site is owned by the New York (state)/New Jersy (state) Port Authority, under the control of both state governors. New Jersey Governor Chris Christy is now on record as saying Mayor Bloomberg is too controlling.

(Please forgive any spelling errors, as my spellcheck is down.)

A mention re 9-11 Memorial Services at "Ground Zero": Due to the construction of the new World Trade Center, space has become such a consideration, especially with President Obama also attending, that, apparently only family members of those who died will be allowed in, by invitation. Members of the FDNY, FDNY EMS Command, other EMS service providers, the NYPD, and the Port of New York and New Jersey Police Department, and the Hardhat Construction people, reportedly, will have their 9-11 ceremony on a different day.

Say WHAT!!!??!?! A Different Day?

News Item from a few hours ago: The acting Governor of the State of New Jersey on 9-11-2001, was originally denied a ticket to attend, but at the insistance of the current New Jersey Governor, New York City (in New York State) Mayor Mike Bloomberg relented, and the previous NJ Governor will attend.

The "Ground Zero/World Trade Center" site is owned by the New York (state)/New Jersy (state) Port Authority, under the control of both state governors. New Jersey Governor Chris Christy is now on record as saying Mayor Bloomberg is too controlling.

(Please forgive any spelling errors, as my spellcheck is down.)

I was already pretty much in the understanding that I would not get into a few blocks of the memorial ceremony, with the world fire and police games ending a few days before 9/11 there will be a load of fire/police/ems personnel from al over the world in NYC. The Antwerp fire department has a few participants and the police department send out its basketball team (lock your daughters)

I get more satisfaction of walking by on my own and think it over then with a high level veremony where most of the attendents never saw a fire or threated a wounded in their life...

Yea I think all us First Responders and Hard Hats should show up on Bloomberg's door step for a reunion. Hows that for space limitation you arogant asshole :mad::argue:

When I read what Bloomberg did I went freaken ballistic. I understand about the construction and all but why cant we stand outside the service or in the surrounding area? :wtf2:

Let me stop before I get banned.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.