No excuses.

paramedicmike

There is occasional talk by some regarding why s/he can't do something (going to college or continuing education is a big topic). After reading about this guy, I don't think anyone has any ground to stand on when discussing why they can't do what they want to do.

Here's the link to the NYTimes story.

Here's a teaser to the article itself:

June 24, 2011, 9:57 am

The Last Ironman

By TARA PARKER-POPE

Finishing an Ironman triathlon, which consists of a a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride and a marathon, is a remarkable feat for any athlete. But 30-year-old John Carson, who will retire from the sport after this weekend’s Ironman in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, is no ordinary athlete.

Two years ago, Mr. Carson was training on his bicycle near his home on Long Island in New York when a sport utility vehicle smashed into him from behind. He remembers fading in and out of consciousness and waking up in the intensive care unit as a quadriplegic.

If you want it, make it happen. No excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

There is occasional talk by some regarding why s/he can't do something (going to college or continuing education is a big topic). After reading about this guy, I don't think anyone has any ground to stand on when discussing why they can't do what they want to do.

Here's the link to the NYTimes story.

Here's a teaser to the article itself:

If you want it, make it happen. No excuses.

While my story isn't as dramatic, tragic or even as remarkable as Mr. Carson's; I have a similar claim to support the whole concept:

In 1996, while returning home from work, I experienced occluded field of vision bilaterally, vertigo, left sided ataxia and left sided hemiperesis. As it turned out, I had a giant cerebral aneurysm in the right posterior communicating artery at the junction of the Circle of Willis.

I was told by my neurosurgeon that I should start looking for another line of work, as I'd NEVER go back to fighting fire or EMS ever again.

Fifty-one (51) weeks later, almost to the day; I stood in front of my neurosurgeon in my EMS uniform...on the clock, and shook his hand and thanked him for everything he had done to essentially save my life. After he reminded me that I had come 'a long way' from when he first saw me, I grinned and told him that I had one last thing to say to him. He looked perplexed and asked what was on my mind. I simply grinned more and then said, "You lied!".

He laughed because he knew that I was referring to his prognosis. I went on to fight fire and also worked and was able to maintain my EMS license for another 10 years.

When I hear people (especially able bodied and not 'intellectually challenged') bemoaning the fact that "they just can't" do something; I simply look at them and point out that it’s not that they “can’t”, they just don't want it enough to push themselves hard enough to accomplish it; and by doing so, are doing nothing more than giving up and cheating themselves in the process.

The bottom line remains: The ONLY person/thing holding you back from accomplishing your goals is YOU!

* Reposted to correct a glaring error in punctuation and grammar

• 3 weeks later...

While my story isn't as dramatic, tragic or even as remarkable as Mr. Carson's; I have a similar claim to support the whole concept:

In 1996, while returning home from work, I experienced occluded field of vision bilaterally, vertigo, left sided ataxia and left sided hemiperesis. As it turned out, I had a giant cerebral aneurysm in the right posterior communicating artery at the junction of the Circle of Willis.

I was told by my neurosurgeon that I should start looking for another line of work, as I'd NEVER go back to fighting fire or EMS ever again.

Fifty-one (51) weeks later, almost to the day; I stood in front of my neurosurgeon in my EMS uniform...on the clock, and shook his hand and thanked him for everything he had done to essentially save my life. After he reminded me that I had come 'a long way' from when he first saw me, I grinned and told him that I had one last thing to say to him. He looked perplexed and asked what was on my mind. I simply grinned more and then said, "You lied!".

He laughed because he knew that I was referring to his prognosis. I went on to fight fire and also worked and was able to maintain my EMS license for another 10 years.

When I hear people (especially able bodied and not 'intellectually challenged') bemoaning the fact that "they just can't" do something; I simply look at them and point out that it's not that they "can't", they just don't want it enough to push themselves hard enough to accomplish it; and by doing so, are doing nothing more than giving up and cheating themselves in the process.

The bottom line remains: The ONLY person/thing holding you back from accomplishing your goals is YOU!

* Reposted to correct a glaring error in punctuation and grammar

May be she needs someone to encourage her anyone who shows real friendship towards her praise her or guide her the right way for her self improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told many times we can do whatever we want as if we set our minds to something and want it bad enough. You have to have the desire to want something and then the motivation to go after it. The story is so true we are the ones that hold ourselves back. It is easier to sit back and use others as our excuse not to do something than to take the chance and go full steam ahead.