EMT-B calling himself a 'Medic' in Indiana

ERDoc- can you PM me a link or two? I don't know where to look honestly.

I don't even lurk nursing forums... I'm kinda loyal to the City ;-)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wendy, I'm surprised this debate has not come up in school. There exists a highly militant fraction of nurses who continue to push for independent practice without any physician involvement. This, IMHO has isolated nursing from the very people we interact with the most, physicians. Additionally, I see the DNP as an analogy for what often occurrs in EMS. We mandate a little training, then add on a bunch of skills. A similar situation with the DNP. Do some online classes and perhaps less than a thousand clinical hours and bam, you've got a "clinical doctoral" degree after your name and the ability to practice medicine independently. (Already starting to happen in places like Arizona). Of course, I must freely admit my bias against the militant nursing movement. However, this DNP issue has become a big enough concern that it was recently discussed at a respiratory therapy conference that I attended. There are concerns among some therapists about DNP's and direct entry programmes where providers with limited experience may be giving orders to respiratory therapists regarding highly complex respiratory modalities.

Ah DNP is a Doctoral NP OK that makes sense

Nurse Practitioners down here are still developed into the health system but you require a BN plus at least four years of experience in your specific area of practice (NPs are limited here to certain areas e.g. diabetes or aged care) then complete a Masters Degree. If you want prescribing rights you have to have a Masters level pharmacology course as well and any prescribing rights are extremely limited e.g. the Medical Council recently killed diabetes NPs being able to prescribe ACE Inhibitors. There has been a small pilot of PA's here in South Auckland and it has not been well received so I think that is the end of the PA in NZ for the foreseeable future.

Ten years ago or so there was talk of a non Doctor person being introduced who could prescribe certain general medication e.g. paracetamol, basic antibiotics, contraceptives, antacids, laxatives etc in order to fill the void where GPs are hard to recruit and retain I guess the most appropriate form would be a general practice NP but this idea never got off the ground.

I sort of agree with the "idea" of an NP or a PA and think that surely not everything requires the attention of a doctor but I am quite adverse to too much "mid level" creep towards "independent" practice

I know some basics that refer to themselves as medics. I don't really approve but when I explain that I'm an emt-b, NOT a paramedic, I ge tthe "Err,don't you work for that ambulance company? Thought you had to yadda yadda yadda." At first I would delineate the differences between the terms as well as I could depending on time and so forth. Now I tend to just say a couple years of paramedic school and leave it at that. Funnily enough I almost never have this discussion with patients.

Regarding the DNP issue I haven't run into this personally. Everything I know about it thus far is anecdotal though I did just read about the AZ situation when I saw it mentioned here. I'm not gonna venture an opinion on this til I do some more research but so far it looks like a lot of angry people on either side so I'm sure the problem will be resolved soon with a minimum of fuss. ( :) ) Anyhow, interesting discussion so far.

Edit: Regarding the angry people on both sides comment, I meant the responses to the AZ article I read, not you guys. :)

Edited by BillKaneEMT

Our family doctor is a DO. He is, by far, the best doctor we've ever had, which is why my entire extended family uses him as well. Over the last few years he went from treating me and my dad to my brothers, aunts, uncles, and 3 grandparents. And 13 or 14 cousins. Great guy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.