EMT-B calling himself a 'Medic' in Indiana

I wonder if there would be less confusion as to the terms if basics didn't refer to themselves as medics?

I wonder if there would be less confusion if the US would collectively move to the new National Registrty Terms. Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Advanced Emergency Medical Technician, and Paramedic.

Well, that and a move to edcuate the general population.

I wonder if there would be less confusion if the US would collectively move to the new National Registrty Terms. Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Advanced Emergency Medical Technician, and Paramedic.

Well, that and a move to edcuate the general population.

Heh...maybe, but probably not. What gets me is this, why aren't many basics humiliated to use a term that, to 90% of the TV watching world, doesn't apply to them? Why are they not embarrassed to allow people to believe them to be something that they're not? That they've achieved more than they have and have more responsibility than they do?

Do you buy the "I do it because it's simpler" argument Ter? Have you ever believed a volunteer when they said, "Yeah, I love to help, but I can't believe that they make me run all over with lights and sirens on MY VERY OWN VEHICLE! Sheesh...I hate that!"

Now granted, I've got a major hardon for people pretending to be something they're not, and I'm not really sure where that comes from, but the mentality that will accept credit that was unearned is truly offensive to me.

I've got a...step nephew..in law...or some shit that sports a big Special Forces tattoo. I said, "Wow, special forces huh?" He said "Yeah, I'm deploying with them in Afghanistan in a few weeks..." I said, "Holy shit..that's hard core brother..thanks for looking out for us." Later that night it turned out that due to 'conditions beyond his control' he'd washed out on his 3rd day of training but was still deploying with them "because they want me to go in with em!"

I said, "You know what man, tell those stories to my step niece in law...(Or whatever) and to your buddies...but you talk that shit over there and those boys will cut that fucking tattoo off and feed it to you....fair warning.."

And I'm pretty much done with him...If he'll lie about something that people die for then he'll lie about anything. And that's how I feel about this. If you'll lie to take credit for something that you haven't earned, if you don't even have the backbone to say that you're not there, yet, then how can I really expect you to be honest about any single thing that might cause you any kind of discomfort.

To me, this really isn't any different than any other moral/ethical EMS issue. The whole, "I lie but it doesn't matter because no one knows the difference' is such rah rah bullshit.

And that's what I think about that! If you feel differently, or feel offended, give me a call at BR549 and my office will route your call directly to my personal Sat phone...But I can't talk long, I'm on standy today for the White House.

Dwayne

• Like 2

Heh...maybe, but probably not. What gets me is this, why aren't many basics humiliated to use a term that, to 90% of the TV watching world, doesn't apply to them? Why are they not embarrassed to allow people to believe them to be something that they're not? That they've achieved more than they have and have more responsibility than they do?

LOL, I didn't really think so either but thought I would throw it out there.

Now granted, I've got a major hardon for people pretending to be something they're not, and I'm not really sure where that comes from, but the mentality that will accept credit that was unearned is truly offensive to me.

Never gave it much thought untile now, but while I was an ECA/EMT - I used those terms and never would have dared to call myself a medic. Even when in school, I would call myself, "future medic". I tried to use the word "medic" once, but it didn't feel comfortable.

And that's what I think about that! If you feel differently, or feel offended, give me a call at BR549 and my office will route your call directly to my personal Sat phone...But I can't talk long, I'm on standy today for the White House.

Cute. I think you and I are on the same side.

• Like 1

Just my 1.02 cents .. the term "medic" up in industrial igloo land is way overused .. everyone is a "medic" from the 120 hour Advanced First Aid course to Critical Care Flight veterans with all the merit badges .. Meh no point in getting panties in a twist, it will not change.

There is another term used here and that is "Band-Aid" because in the vast majority of providers that is the entire scope of practice, unfortunately that is the high standard that most blonde, zero experience, zero patient contact, 19 year old bimbos have set.

I prefer Ambulance Driver myself :whistle:

I was at the Dentist's office last week, and gave her a 15 minute lesson on the 'levels of EMS', significant features/differences of each level and refused to wear the title 'Medic'.

I pointed out that we were more than just 'ambulance drivers', and was even able to slip a few facts in as well. She was shocked to learn that there was 'more to it' than she had initially thought, and was just as shocked that a degree wasn't required.

I've never understood the need for one to misidentify themselves, or try to hide the true title of their position. You can 'dress up' your official title all you want, but at the end of the day; a 'sanitation engineer' is still slinging people's trash into the back of a garbage truck, or maybe sucking shit out of a porta-potty.

Especially since 9/11, there's been a huge influx of 'glory seekers' and 'hero wannabes', and it's aggrivating as hell; simply because they're out for the 'hero status' but have done NOTHING to deserve it. It diminishes the thanks and acolades that are given to those who actually EARNED it!

IF and WHEN I make it to graduation, THEN I will proudly wear the title 'Medic', because I've earned it.

An interesting spin on the conversation, where I'm from, the "medical" person on an ambulance (more specifically referring to the volly services that run EMT/Ambulance Driver crews) is always termed a "medic," while when they're looking for an ALS unit (flycar or full ALS/BLS ambulance), they always ask for a "tech." I don't know why, it still confuses me, and kind aggravates the *&%^ out of me in some ways that the Emergency Medical TECHNICIAN is called a "medic" while the PARAMEDIC is referred to as a "tech."

That being said, it's how EVERYBODY terms it here, especially when talking over the radio.

... I tried to use the word "medic" once, but it didn't feel comfortable. ....Cute. I think you and I are on the same side.

Yeah, see, I was the same. And I would have been horrified had anyone said, "Ahh, you're a paramedic huh?" and I had to correct them saying, "Oh...I didn't mean PARAmedic...I just use the term medic cause it sounds...err..kind..of....like..you know....basic."

It still gives me a little twinge when people call me Doc in the oil fields, but that's the way it is here, as it often was in Afg. But that's different. I'm not trying to pretend to be a doctor and no one using the term is confusing me with a doctor. It's traditional, they've been doing it forever here, and it's not going to change.

There was a little bit when I get a little puffed up cause I was 'The Doc! (I mentally added the capitals) But then it occurred to me that they didn't do it because they thought I was more than I really am but because they wanted to be nice but couldn't be bothered to remember by name... :-)

Maybe it's a generational thing. Though You're still just a kitten Ter, LS and I are a few days older...maybe that's it? That we're not comparing apples to apples when you make the adjustments for generational differences in attitudes? (Please don't read this as "My old ideas are better than these stupid young ideas!" Though our ideas may be different, I'm perfectly aware that many of my opinions and ideas are outdated, and that much of what makes me batshit crazy about the younger generations are really the things that will make them smart, and strong, and the next world leaders...sometimes I just don't get it...and that's ok.)

I love this discussion. The problem with it, as with many here lately, is that as soon as a decently defined counter opinion is offered the thread dies.

Come on kids! Defend your point of view! You began this discussion claiming that it is easier, and appropriate, to use the medic label for yourselves. If you truly believe that, and I don't believe that you do, defend it! Don't wuss out just because you were put in a position to have to think!

Dwayne

Maybe it's a generational thing. Though You're still just a kitten Ter, LS and I are a few days older...maybe that's it? That we're not comparing apples to apples when you make the adjustments for generational differences in attitudes? (Please don't read this as "My old ideas are better than these stupid young ideas!" Though our ideas may be different, I'm perfectly aware that many of my opinions and ideas are outdated, and that much of what makes me batshit crazy about the younger generations are really the things that will make them smart, and strong, and the next world leaders...sometimes I just don't get it...and that's ok.)

Kinda of got lost...are you calling me "Ter" or referring to someone else? :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.