EMT-B calling himself a 'Medic' in Indiana

I've never met anyone else in the hospital (pharmacists, PT/OT, PA, etc) who wanted to be called doctor. I'm not sure what it is with the DNPs.

And I've never heard of snow tires either. They both must be a northern thing. ;)

I believe I've brought the nurses gone wild topic up on this site as well. It has indeed gotten well out of hand. Nursing has seemingly abandoned it's initial ideals in favour of competing with physicians for a piece of the primary care and anaesthesia pie. Unfortunately, the APN's who want to provide care while working with physicians have been outshined by this militant movement.

I do a "clinical" doctorate degree, a thousand or less hours of clinical experience and take a bogus, watered down version of step 3 and now everybody in the hospital gets to call me "doctor," not to mention the fact that in some states I can provide "medicine" without absolutely any physician involvement whatsoever.

This is somewhat anologus to giving EMT's a few hours of training and adding on enough skills for them to essentially work as paramedics without providing any real theory or clinical experience.

All IMHO.

Take care,

chbare.

Dust, it's not a pure northern thing. Take a look at what has been going down in Arizona.

Take care,

chbare,

Dust, it's not a pure northern thing. Take a look at what has been going down in Arizona.

I dunno, man. Even in the far north end of the state, I doubt any of them know anything about snow tires.

And I've never heard of snow tires either. They both must be a northern thing. ;)

I didn't mean to imply that the others don't do it, and I apologize if it sounded that way, the DNPs just seem to perfect it. It's funny, they say they should have the same privilages as the doctors so that they can fill the physician shortage in primary care. Why don't they worry about the nursing shortage first and let the MD/DOs worry about our part?

As for your instructor... he may be doing that to build your confidence. It may also be a psychological thing to get you in the mindset of thinking and acting like a paramedic.

Absolutely agree with this statement.

Hi there! Just wanting to see if it's "proper" to call yourself a "Medic" when you are EMT-B level. Indiana doesn't have the Advanced EMT status yet, and I'm done with cardiology (towards paramedic), but the EMT-BA and EMT-I levels here are going to poof eventually to catch up with the rest of the world. Is it proper to refer to yourself as a 'medic' if of EMT-B status, as I do have all paramedic skills (Just can't USE them outside of clinicals!), and all pharmacology, etc.?

My gut reaction is, why not? Doesn't EMT stand for Emergency MEDICAL Technician which would make you a medic? And, doesn't that appear to make it simpler then calling yourself a "Basic" and having to explain what that means to the lay person?

Of course, I spend most of my time explaining that my basic partner does more than just drive and the difference between the two of us is that I have the key to the good drugs. :thumbsup:

I've always said I was a medic when talking to people outside the medical field. To the average person there's not difference between and EMT-B and a Paramedic. We're all just "the people that work on the ambulance" and it's not worth it to try to explain the difference. To most you'd be speaking Greek and would have to then delve in to what every bit of terminology means. As for working "on" the ambulance, we work IN it, mechanics work ON it, but I don't nitpick over that either. Now, if I went around telling medical professionals(who presumably know the difference which would make it misrepresentation) I was a medic that would be a little bit different. So, I've chosen to identify myself as "an EMT-Basic and Paramedic student on hiatus". Which is true because one of these days I'll make it back to school to finish the second half of my Paramedic training. It's on my bucket list at this point. :D

I find it interesting how hung up we can get with titles. In the case of the fire service, it's a paramilitary group, which means titles like chief, lieutenant, and sir are used as means of respect for any superior officer.

For example- there's the age old battle about PHD's, EDUs- professors or doctors? In my classes, I've had students refer to me as professor, though I only have a Masters Degree. My actual title- according to the university is adjunct faculty,-which means they pay me far less than a "real" professor, I have no office, no clout, and no benefits LOL

. Depending on the country, professor does not necessarily mean someone with a PHD, but I was always taught that was the case. In some places., professor is reserved for department heads only, and in others, it generally means the tenured position above an associate professor. But I digress...

I agree the distinction between EMTB, I, D, or P's is lost on anyone outside the field. Throw in the titles from other places and things get real interesting. A Basic referring to themselves as a"Medic" seems harmless- unless that person professes to have credentials above their actual training.. No harm, no foul IMHO.

I didn't mean to imply that the others don't do it, and I apologize if it sounded that way, the DNPs just seem to perfect it. It's funny, they say they should have the same privilages as the doctors so that they can fill the physician shortage in primary care.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that either. I agree with you. Patients shouldn't have to sort this out. It should be cut and dried. If you're ashamed to be called a nurse, don't become a nurse.

On the other hand, the nurses do have some legitimate beef. Why should physicians be the one profession to claim sole ownership of a term that has never been exclusive to them? Why not just focus on building the recognition of the term 'physician,' which you do own? The public is never going to stop calling dentists, psychologists, and podiatrists 'doctor,' so why waste the breath on it? Hell, y'all were still squabbling with the DOs about this when I got into medicine, not so long ago. I remember when they had to travel cross-country just to find a hospital that would allow them to practise. Now you have FMGs coming from God knows where, with minimal (sometimes even online) education, and being given the title just for passing FLEX.

Why? Because every new grad wants to be a 8 to 4 boob-jobber or radiologist, not a PCP attached to a pager 24/7. If medicine would clean up it's own act, this wouldn't be an issue. But when you create a crippling void like this, you can't be shocked when some other power seeks to fill the vacuum. And -- right or wrong -- the nurses are the emotional favourites with the public in this fight, so they will continue to make inroads. I don't like it any more than I like firemonkeys being the popular favourite in EMS. But it is what it is.

EDIT: Note, the term "you" above is not pointed at anyone in particular, but at physicians as a group.

Edited by Dustdevil

Medic is kind of a general term, sadly. I've referred to myself as a medic before, but mostly to NON ems/medical people as realistically, they have no idea what the difference is between EMT-B, EMT-I and Paramedic. Less confusion. To medical people/ems people I always make sure that they are aware that I am an EMT-B level. I have medic in my name as I'm heading to Paramedic school... :)

-MetalMedic

I wonder if there would be less confusion as to the terms if basics didn't refer to themselves as medics?

I have no issue in general with who calls who what. It doesn't make me feel less, or hurt my feelings, but I have no respect whatsoever for the basic that identifies themselves as a medic, regardless who they're speaking to. You are lying, and you know that you are.

You can pretend all you want that the world doesn't associate the word 'medic' with the heroic bullshit they see on tv, and you can continue to pretend that you define yourself to your friends and neighbors as a medic because it's 'easy' as opposed to trying to piggyback on a burden of education and experience that you haven't bothered to complete yet, but it will still be bullshit.

If you've ever said, 'medic' in response to "What do you do for a living?" and didn't immediately correct the misconception when they went 'WOW! That must be so tough!" (As happens to me all the time) then you are full of shit and purposely taking credit that you have not earned.

I don't tell people that I'm a Doctor or a nurse when they ask simply because people know what a doctor/nurse is and it's simpler than explaining about being a medic. Why? Because I've not earned the right to be called a doctor or a nurse. When you've earned the right to receive a paramedic degree, then you should tell anyone that will listen that you are a medic. Until then, please stop pretending that you misrepresent who you are and what you do for the sake of simplicity.

Ok...There is me getting hung up on titles... :-)

Part of the reason that we have so many career basics is that the public doesn't know the difference. If they did, partially by way of US, the EMS community, not pretending that there is no difference, then I believe that they would make different ambulance staffing decisions. While the public believes that they get the same medical care from either person in an ambulance, or from an ambulance or a fire truck, that they all equal "Emergency!" level care, then they will continue to make silly emergency care spending decisions. Because they're idiots? No...because we've helped lie to them.

And as long as basics continue to get credit for the work that their partner has actually done alone, then there will be many, many that will have no interest in earning that respect for themselves.

And if you're willing to lie about what you do, or who you are, regardless of what any of your buddies are doing, or what reason they use to do it, then you have already filed your petition for moral bankruptcy. Sweat, study, work, pay your dues to become what you want to be...don't piggyback on the first bullshit excuse that comes along and allows you to pretend.

Dwayne

(Edit, not directed at you MM for your screen name, but certainly so if you do so off of the forums. The difference being that we do know who you are, where you're at, and hopefully, where you're going. Not so with the uninitiated. If they ask, take the time to explain it to them and then perhaps they will make different decision concerning EMS when it comes time to vote next time.)

Edited by DwayneEMTP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.