Alberta EMT Gap Training

BEorP

Hey guys,

I'm curious about the possibility of trying to do some short term industrial paramedic work in Alberta. Not sure whether this is possible or whether they would be looking for a longer commitment than a few months, but the hurdle before that would be to get the ACoP EMT certification through the equivalency process from my Ontario PCP.

Can anyone explain to me how the gap training works? I see that they have a number of modules online and I also see where they specify what Ontario PCPs need to complete, but how does it work for the actual clinical aspects of these modules? Is this training offered through an educational institution or employers or somewhere else? I see a confirmation of training form on the ACoP webpage but it looks like that is for people trained before 2004.

Maybe I'm just missing it... I appreciate any insight you can offer.

http://collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Continuing_Competency/EMT.aspx

Basically you need to hit the link above and have an educational institution, or alberta employer deliver them to you and then get a Ab medical director sign them off.

I would suggest contacting Lakeland college here in Ab, and explain the circumstance. They have a training facility in Camrose and I am sure would be happy to help for a small fee.

http://collegeofparamedics.org/Content_Files/Files/LabourMobilityComparison_EMT.pdf

This link may outline any extra modules you may need that are not in the GAP training.

I am pretty busy lately, so PM me if you have any other questions, I have used the labour mobility tool twice so I am fairly well versed in it.

I think that I'm beginning to understand why the ACoP is so frustrating. I have contacted both the ACoP and Lakeland College. The ACoP suggested that I contact Alberta educational providers such as Lakeland and Lakeland suggest that I contact the ACoP. It seems to make labour mobility difficult when you apparently need to have employment before being able to have the restrictions lifted. Surely an employer would always rather hire someone with an EMT rather than EMT (Restricted) certification, wouldn't they?

• 1 month later...

I think that I'm beginning to understand why the ACoP is so frustrating. I have contacted both the ACoP and Lakeland College. The ACoP suggested that I contact Alberta educational providers such as Lakeland and Lakeland suggest that I contact the ACoP. It seems to make labour mobility difficult when you apparently need to have employment before being able to have the restrictions lifted. Surely an employer would always rather hire someone with an EMT rather than EMT (Restricted) certification, wouldn't they?

I came over from BC last year. Educational sessions required for the removal of the restrictions from my EMT-A registration were provided to me by my school just prior to starting the EMT-P (ACP for most of Canada) program. Your best bet might be to contact some of the training schools and see if you can sit in on the required sessions for a fee.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.