I called for an AMBULANCE!

Just when I was giving up on anyone in Kalifornia ever figuring this out!

http://www.ems1.com/fire-ems/articles/1065703-Calif-county-issues-scathing-report-on-emergency-responses/

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — A Santa Clara County civil grand jury on Wednesday called for a wholesale rethinking of fire departments and emergency responses, arguing that sending firefighters to what are now mostly medical calls is outdated and wasteful.

A report by the watchdog panel found that 70 percent of fire department calls are medical emergencies, and just 4 percent are fire-related. But even so, firefighters respond as if they are heading to a fire, sending a crew of three or more on a truck or engine costing an average of $500,000 — five times the cost of an ambulance.

Not that anything will ever come of it. They're not that smart. But at least they can no longer plead ignorance.

They still do this in my area, though it's becoming more uncommon.

There are two types of cities in CA: those who contract EMS to a private ambulance company, and those who use their fire departments to handle emergency medical calls. The city I live in now sends CARE ambulances to all EMS calls, the city I go to school in sends fire ambulances (they're ambulances, but they say "Fire Department" on them, and they're staffed by firefighters who have EMS training).

The most efficient method depends on the city. It might not be cost efficient for city A to contract EMS to a private ambulance service, and conversely it might not be cost efficient for city B to use their fire department for EMS calls. I guess it just depends the city.

I'm not sure that it costs $500,000 for a fire truck to respond to a call, though. That number seems inflated. It sounds like they're adding every responding firefighter's yearly salary, which is a little misleading.

I'm not sure that it costs $500,000 for a fire truck to respond to a call, though. That number seems inflated. It sounds like they're adding every responding firefighter's yearly salary, which is a little misleading.

They were saying the cost of the engine (500K) is 5x that of an ambulance...drawing the conclusion that you could have 5 ambos for every engine if response to these EMS calls are so necessary.

...I'm not sure that it costs $500,000 for a fire truck to respond to a call, though. That number seems inflated. It sounds like they're adding every responding firefighter's yearly salary, which is a little misleading.

Following that logic brother then they are also stating a $100,000/run cost for an ambulance response.

I'm pretty sure they were speaking of the cost of the vehicles and not the response. (Not busting your balls man, I can see where you got that.)

Dwayne

$100,000 for a rig !?! Can I please have that companies info I just paid $190,000 for my new rig.

Seriously though, glad to see this is coming into the lime light so to speak. But I have to agree with Dust that the bone heads probably will do nothing. Hopefully the public becomes aware and maybe something will be done.

$100,000 for a rig !?! Can I please have that companies info I just paid $190,000 for my new rig.

Seriously though, glad to see this is coming into the lime light so to speak. But I have to agree with Dust that the bone heads probably will do nothing. Hopefully the public becomes aware and maybe something will be done.

Rough approximation but I have purchased several ambulances very close to that price tag...thinking you need a new vendor. :)

Were this my own New York City, New York, instead of Santa Clara, CA, I'd indicate that making sense is apparently against the rules, regulations, or the Law, here.

FDNY is becoming less and less an agency that fights fires and provides EMS and more and more an agency that provides EMS and occasionally fights fire... the fire side know this but won't admit it... and they know that we're saving firefighter's jobs with medical runs...

That's because you got taken for a ride in a horton. :thumbsup: Your salesman's daughter can now go to Princeton for another year ! :-}

Our last truck [2009] was a full custom type III ambulance and it cost 142k with lot of options.

Edited by island emt
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.