Here is one for the books

Paged code 3 for SOB

We get there to find a 45 yr old male proped up against the wall of a building in obviouse respitory distress.

Witness states man came inside to registar for a flight home, all of a sudden he ran outside and started to dry heave, he became pale and was helped to the ground. The pt is able to say that he had a history of Diabetes (insulin dependent) and asthma (he dosnt remember the last time he had an attack). He states that he was out partying last night and was drinking but deny's any drug use. Pulse was 103, breaths were 16 and it sounded like a bit of stridor,SP02 was 95, eyes 3 and reactive. The pt is flushed in his face. It took about 10 min to convince this guy that he wasn't getting on a seaplane in this condition and that he needed to see a Dr. My partner did a blood glucose and it was 13.6 the pt said that it was a normal for him, and we got the ventolin on him and into the back of the car in a sitting position. As I was climbing in, he leaned over and started to gasp for air, it appeared that he was going to heave but nothing was comming out, then he went limp. (We are now on our 3 minute ride to the ER) He accepted an oral airway and his breathing started to even out. I started to expose his chest to see if there was anything to see, there was equal rise and fall and no signs of trauma. As we are going into the ER he kind of wakes up enough to talk to the nurse. I was doing my report and as I was discribing the onset he started again. I pointed it out to the Dr. and off he goes. This guy did the same thing afew times more but we left before we could find out the results, they were even exraying his chest to see if he had a partial obstruction.

Today I talked to the other medic who happen to have a busy night last night and was able to talk to the guy, he said his last memory was going into the building and standing by some girl who had alot of perfume on, as soon as he smelt that off he went. The Dr said that he may have had an allergic reation to the odor that brought on an asthma attack. Interesting to say the least

Im a bit cinfused here, theres not a lot in here that would suggets asthma to me. You got any further info as beiber suggested??

Edited by BushyFromOz

I had a partner who when was exposed to people that felt the need to bathe in a fragrance, would experience respiratory distress and repeated sneezing. They had a history of asthma, which was generally well controlled.

On another occasion while at school, I got into the elevator and it was quite obvious that one of the prior occupants felt that same need. It was so heavy in the air that it was almost like drowning in the stuff! By the time I went from the first floor to the third, I thought I was going to suffocate from it!

I've never understood why people feel the need to put so much perfume/aftershave/cologne on that it arrives 5 minutes before the person, and hangs around 15 minutes after they leave!

For this very reason, I either avoid the usage of aftershave/cologne or use it like it's made of gold (very sparingly) when I'm on duty.

I had a partner who when was exposed to people that felt the need to bathe in a fragrance, would experience respiratory distress and repeated sneezing. They had a history of asthma, which was generally well controlled.

On another occasion while at school, I got into the elevator and it was quite obvious that one of the prior occupants felt that same need. It was so heavy in the air that it was almost like drowning in the stuff! By the time I went from the first floor to the third, I thought I was going to suffocate from it!

I've never understood why people feel the need to put so much perfume/aftershave/cologne on that it arrives 5 minutes before the person, and hangs around 15 minutes after they leave!

For this very reason, I either avoid the usage of aftershave/cologne or use it like it's made of gold (very sparingly) when I'm on duty.

My grandmother would kick care givers out of her hospital room if they had either smoke smell on them or high amounts of perfume.

One RT gal got rather indignant and my grandmother in her standard response would tell the RT and other that they smelled and it made her sick.

They finally in the hospital had RT's and nurses take care of my grandmother who did not wear any perfume or smoked.

Gotta love my Grandma

Ausculation there was no weezing only stridor. The weirdest thing was that it came in waves of attacks, he would recover to some degree and then just crash. As it turns out they think that it was his larynx area that was swelling. He spent a few days in hospital and the was able to go home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.