Newly certified, next step?

Hi All,

I am a recently certified PA EMT in central PA. I'm not exactly sure about the next step, and I was hoping for some pointers or suggestions. My goal is to move to Philly, and be an EMT-basic. My string of questions (most of which are probably exceptionally naive...):

• can i expect to be paid right off the bat, or is there usually a volunteer "training period"?
  • how hard is it to find work as an EMT-B in the philly region? I am also more than happy to work in the burb's around Philly.
  • What is the best way to look for EMT-B positions, is it best to just call the individual companies?
  • at home, you have to start out as a volunteer part-time, and then you can get a part time paid or full time paid position, is that what i can expect in the philly region?

Any answers or pointers would be greatly appreciated, and also anything else you can think of that I didn't include. Thanks everyone!

I dont live in Phily so i dont have a ton of information for you. Your best bet is to do some Googling and check out the different department's websites. Most should have an online application, or at least some contact information to a supervisor who will be able to answer your questions.

Generally speaking, most major cities dont have too many openings for paid EMT-Bs. Plenty of room for volunteers though. Although any paycheck is better than no paycheck, EMT-Bs dont make a whole lot of money so i wouldnt plan on making a career out of it. If you wish to make a career out of EMS id look into medic schools in the Philly area. Many volunteer agencies will pay for you to go to school, and having your medic will open up paid opportunities.

Unless you're doing routine transport, you won't be working as an EMT in Philly proper. If you want to try the surrounding counties you may do better. However, please keep in mind that EMT-Bs are a dime a dozen. There are more of you than there are jobs. You'll probably want to have another job to support yourself with in the meantime. Your best bet may be to stay home, follow the fourth bullet point in your post, and move on from there while establishing yourself in a reputable, university based nursing or paramedic program.

Good luck.

Depending on how far your willing to move nyc is always hiring emt's. The've hired a couple hundred this year already and expect to loose several hundred in the next several months to other agencies.

And if you plan to stick around for a bit they will pay you your full salery to go to medic school full time.

Not much further than philly, any job these days is worth it, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.