New in the field

Im just getting into the field. I started my EMT-B class about two weeks ago. Im interested in becoming a Paramedic. I understand the work it would take to become a Paramedic. I was just wondering if somewhere down the road if there is some kind of bridge program to becoming a RN or LPN.

Just wanted all your insight into the possible career paths

I don't have any advice for you on the briding over to LPN or RN, but I just wanted to say good luck with the EMT course! Feel free to ask all kinds of questions!

-MetalMedic (EMT certified for 32 days LOL)

Yes, it is stupid to refuse grads of an accredited program licensure. But until state nursing boards change their minds they can, and will, continue to refuse Excelsior grads from obtaining licenses.

Seems another case of "Don't go in the water untill you learn how to swim".

Excelsior is not a "bridge" programme. It's not even a correspondence course. There are no courses. There are no instructors. They don't teach you anything. It is merely an examining body, just like the NR, that attempts to validate through exam that you have -- on your own, through self-study, not through courses -- attained the very minimum level of understanding of the theory of nursing practice. That means that it is 100 percent on you. You can't count on the professors to help you learn complex pathophysiology, because again, there are no professors. If you don't have the maturity to make yourself get out of bed, take a shower, and go to class every morning for two years, then you don't have the maturity, self-control, or attention span necessary to teach yourself medicine, that's for sure.

The graduation rate for Excelsior is frighteningly dismal. Only a micro-fraction of those who begin the programme ever complete it. It's not easier than nursing school. It's not faster than nursing school. It's not cheaper than nursing school. But most people who enrol into it do so thinking one or all of the above, only to slowly figure out how wrong they were four years and thousands of dollars ago. About the only people that Excelsior makes any decent sense for are:

1. Military medics with almost exclusively hospital-based (not field) experience -- and lots of it -- who because of deployment, simply cannot attend a traditional nursing school every day.

2. LVNs or LPNs who meet the above criteria.

Being a medic will get you accepted into Excelsior, but the benefits stop there. Being an EMT or medic does not give you any other advantage or "leg up" on nursing education. Again, the similarities between the two jobs (and education) are almost non-existent. There is nothing you have already learned as a medic that takes the place of what you have to learn as a nurse, except for this: You already [should] know that you enjoy taking care of people. Period. That's it. There is no "bridge" to it, as no prior education is assumed.

And, of course, you STILL have to take two years worth of college prerequisite courses to graduate, so again, how does anyone figure they are saving time with Excelsior?

I appreciate everyones insight. I understand that im new to this whole field so i hope you all forgive my inexperience. Im not looking for any shortcuts im just looking at what foundations i need to build. Im gonna look into the prerequisite courses needed to become an RN and check to see if their part of my Paramedic training. At best i think being an EMT-B should expose me to the medical field and i could study in the down time.

Good attitude... Do what you want... Get whatever Degree(s) you want... Yes, there are shortcuts. Just remember school is just the beginning for everything. There is no one who knows it all. We're all learning. Someone who thinks they know everything, is truly mistaken... As long as the School is Accredited by the proper "Authorities" then you should be confident with the material learned, grade(s) given, & Degree received. Look for the .edu on the URL... Speak to family, friends, classmates, teachers, co-workers, and faculty to help guide you... Welcome to the World of EMS... Good luck...

• Like 1