I think the ER stole my patient

Dispatched to a street corner a hospital lives on for "syncope" we arrived to find hospital staff with a stretcher. While I was talking to the patient they insisted she be put on there liter and a taken inside. I attempted to interject that we were there and had an obligation to assess her, get her info, and then take her inside. As they sat the patient on the stretcher they said "you can come in and get her info." I said "you miss my point" got in the truck and left.

Dispatched to a street corner a hospital lives on for "syncope" we arrived to find hospital staff with a stretcher. While I was talking to the patient they insisted she be put on there liter and a taken inside. I attempted to interject that we were there and had an obligation to assess her, get her info, and then take her inside. As they sat the patient on the stretcher they said "you can come in and get her info." I said "you miss my point" got in the truck and left.

The hospital staff is the higher medical authority. Ultimately, isn't that exactly what we are supposed to be doing? I fail to see the problem here, unless this is about losing money for your employer.

• Like 1

I agree, I don't see a problem with this... The hospital invited you to collect the details, I’d just document that Doctors and Nurses from the receiving facility were in attendance and treating, no action required from EMS.

Are you serious? Do you not see anything wrong with your position and what you were trying to do?

They didn't miss your point. You didn't have a point. What you were trying to argue was ridiculous in both concept and logical basis.

Congratulations. You just contributed to the increasingly poor image EMS has in the eyes of hospital staffers in Philadelphia.

:rolleyes2:

The hospital staff is the higher medical authority. Ultimately, isn't that exactly what we are supposed to be doing? I fail to see the problem here, unless this is about losing money for your employer.

You arrived on scene to find the hospital staff already treating the patient, and you STILL think that the patient is yours?

It would appear that since they were already on scene, the patient was already 'theirs' to begin with.

This would be no diffferent than you working a call, and having an EMT-B or EMT-I trying to take control of the scene; it wouldn't fly on that scene, and it can't fly here.

Ultimately, its YOU that "missed the point"...

• Like 1

I think the point is his not being respected on the street, in 'his' territory. Plus, having been dispatched to the call, he's got a duty to act and to advocate for his patient, right?

I get that. I don't see how he shows EMS to be more proficient and competent than usual by taking in stride the hospital telling him his job in his 'world.' Ya think?

Would this have bothered me? Not likely. I'd have helped them load em on the stretcher, called it in as a non contact, and gone on my way. But I am a little surprised with the gazillion years of experience in this thread that no one can conceive of why it would have bothered him.

Now, if they'd showed up and said, "Hey! You! Put that patient on my stretcher!" Then I get it completely. It would have been met with something to the effect of, "Hey! You! Go fuck yourself!"

There is nothing wrong, in my opinion, not confusing, about about this kid being upset that the hospital brought a stretcher out to the street and told him what to do with 'his' patient. If it was even on the sidewalk I know that here anyway it is not longer hospital property. Treat me with respect and I'll be happy to load your pt for you, don't and yeah, we can have a little pissing contest right here.

I should probably be better and stronger and more.....something...than that. But then again, what's really the difference here between the curb on the corner on on the interstate? I've seen a gazillion posts of people irritated at both Docs and nurses and all in between for butting in, right? How does the matter of inches change the scenario.

Now, maybe I'm talking out of my ass here because I can't remember the history of the OPs posts, so perhaps he didn't belong there, or whatever. I'm speaking from my perspective...Besides, this perspective should rile a few folks up and make for a decent discussion...

Dwayne

What is the purpose of this thread?...

You are a healthcare professional:

1) act like one

2) always consider what is in the best interests for your patients and get them to a higher level of care (e.g the hospital)

Edited by m0nster986

...You are a healthcare professional:

1) act like one...

And you are presumably a professional healthcare provider that should know how to frame and explain your comments. The bullshit 'holier than thou' comment doesn't really work here brother. What is your point? What was unprofessional? Why do you feel that it is so? What could have been done differently?

...2) always consider what is in the best interests for your patients and get them to a higher level of care (e.g the hospital)

I'm to assume I guess that your simple comments mean that you're jumping on board with the majority, perhaps that's why you believed that they needed no explanation? I've been in hospitals, as have just about everyone I know, where 'the corner' could have been a quarter mile from the ER doors. I'm willing to bet the ER heard this call, got tired of waiting for an ambulance and ran out to 'do the right thing.'

Do you suppose that they had O2 on their cot? ASA? What if the syncope was secondary to an active MI? What do you suppose would be the mental state of a person being dragged across the parking lot on a stretcher as opposed to in an enclosed ambulance? What if the 'syncope' was actually and arrest? Are you still going to allow them to tell you to put the body on the stretcher or are you going to take control and work it in your ambulance?

It's easy to be cocky and sure when there are only a few details. And I'm sure that this is going to turn out to be a time when they were a few feet from the ER doors and the OP is off in the ditch. But until that becomes clear, I can see a ton of scenarios where trying to take control of this situation, and this patient, was the right thing to do. (Of course a bunch of wrongs reasons too, but where's the fun in that?)

Dwayne

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.