Iphone advice

DwayneEMTP

Surprisingly it's not high speed out here, though I'm not sure exactly what defines high speed.(I wish I could describe how massive that things is!) We have to use the satellite internet and that seems inherently slower for some reason..it looks like if I'm going to be on this gig for any length of time I'll have to have an Iphone.

Dwayne

Dear Sad Dwayne: So you are imprisoned, very offshore, on semi submersible rust bucket with hungry sharks circling ?

So let me get this right:

You have a compter with internet access on board the wifi connection, and skype that actually works and your whining about no hand held device ? .... yes most seriously you have a problem .. your an electronic addict but damn lucky ! LMFAO.

Buddy in some of my deployments there is zippola except for satellite phones and I pray I could staple messages to a FED EX Raven or Moose unfortunately they are very unreliable.

That said and depending how far out you are in GOM, one can entertain the possibility of a signal booster, (a yagi works to amplify signal if you have very poor signal) I use that and/or a big ass 10 Db gain antennae with AirCard adapter because in some of my deployments very "remote and austere" as the company man will not permit we lowly band aids to use their systems, except for report's that have to be flash "driven" and sent to the topside EMS operator or medical director, via the Safety Doods.

Dear Dwayne: My last deployment was sleeping in a tent, no heater (not by myself I may add) with snow overnight, then clouds of mossys so thick one needed an IV hep locked to stay off the frequent bouts of hypovolemia, where the bears that have awesome camo (white) and electronic fences around the camps that trap them inside the compound (very different perspective when using the term's) "safe behind the wire" or "a green zone" then with just one sat phone for comms ... btw go with iridium, globestars suck.

... so on the Turnip scale + 4 for being an electronic addict. :dribble:

• 1 month later...

There is an app for iPhone that let's you talk on the phone, as long as there's wifi, even with no phone signal. It works for the itouch too, as long as you have the microphone.

I'm sorry I don't remember what it's called right now, but it shouldn't be hard to find with a search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I never wanted to have a Smartphone at all. Now I have a Samsung Touch-Screen-thing (a rather cheap one though).

Up until now I had a very solid normal oldschool mobile phone (the kind where you are amazed in the way like "wooooooah, look, it has even a colour display!!?!?!") which I could even throw down and use it again. I`m very fond of those solid phones, `cause you can carry them all the time with you. With the mobile phone before my last, I could even open beer bottles when nothing else appropriate was anywhere near, though after a half year having started that practice it deserted on me so that could have been possibly too much.

Anyway, my father bought himself a new phone the other day and he is completely useless when it comes to technichal things. So, he bought himself this Touch-Screen-thing - only to realise after using it for about five minutes that he can`t deal with it. So since my old phone is somewhat broke too, he persuaded me to take the Touch-Screen-thing so he could buy himself something that is simpler when it comes to handling.

So, my concern and question to you other carriers: Do you carry your phone at work at all? The thing seems so fragile and the touch-screen so sensible that I don`t think it would survive your average work day (like carrying someone down some stairs while scraping along at the wall with the half side of your body). Any experiences about how solid they are? :rolleyes2:

Yeah, I know - stupid question... :turned:

Vorenus, I have my iPhone in an Otter Box and carry it everywhere. I'm typing this message on it. I've been carrying iPhones for about three years and have never broken one.

Otter Box is the answer.

There is an app for iPhone that let's you talk on the phone, as long as there's wifi, even with no phone signal. It works for the itouch too, as long as you have the microphone.

I'm sorry I don't remember what it's called right now, but it shouldn't be hard to find with a search.

Good advice, thanks! :thumbsup:

Now I just have to find an otter box that fits my Samsung.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used a Blackberry for a long time. I got my first one in 2001 and used them until the iPhone3G came out. I drank the Kool Aid and got an iPhone and hated it. I now carry the BlackBerry Torch and love the thing. It does most of the things the iPhone did and is still as functional as the BlackBerry when it comes to email and the like.

Unless your BlackBerry is a rather old phone you can use wifi to text with it as well. You have to find the app, and I cannot remember the name right now. Install the app and you'll be just like the cool kids with the iPhones. There's even Otter Boxes available for most BlackBerry phones, just not always the most secure version of the thing.