Energy drinks...

Do you use them?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink energy drinks on your shift?

Vitamin Z is the most important thing to get for tired bodies and minds... It cost you nothing, there's no side effects, it's natural, & it is something very enjoyable... Most of us are Vitamin Z deficient and most Practitioners do not prescribe it...

Caffeine is not the only problem with energy drinks. Niacin can cause some serious problems for many of us, and you won't know until it's too late. And even then, it'll most likely get misdiagnosed. We had an epic scenario thread here a few years back about the niacin flush, but unfortunately it disappeared, as too many threads here seem to do. Too bad, as it was very educational, and illustrated how easily it is dangerously misdiagnosed, even by physicians.

When deployed with the Marines, I ran into this problem quite a bit. I love the taste of Red Bull (Rockstar smells like vomit), but I am very careful to limit my consumption of it. The only thing worse than passing out from a niacin flush while caring for a patient is to do it while driving!

Do a search on google for Niacin flush and you will see websites saying that that niacin flush is good for you.

I'm not convinced of that.

Any doc's want to comment on whether niacin flushing is good for you?

It's kind of like chemotherapy. It can be good for you, but it can also kill you. Timing is everything, as well as your physical condition. It's not the flush itself that is most potentially harmful. It's the potential of that unconsciousness-causing flush taking place while you are driving, or participating in other critical activities, that is dangerous. Secondarily, physicians or medics mistakenly treating the flush as anaphylaxis (as it very closely mimics) can be fatal.

• 2 weeks later...

Regularly? No. However, I do keep a few 5-hr Energy shots in my locker in case I'm up for a late night long-distance transfer. 911's I don't have a problem getting up and alert, it's the 6-hr plus road trips at 0300 that are brutal, especially when the pt is sleeping. And I have been known to drink a Monster now and then, but try to avoid it. I'm ADHD and my doc advised me to avoid them. For the most part, I drink water and the occasional Pepsi when I'm craving the taste.

Since Ritalin is the most commonly prescribed drug for the treatment of ADHD/ADD, one has to ask a couple questions:

Additionallly, Ritalin is classified as a stimulant; why would avoiding stimulants be a 'bad thing' for those with a true diagnosis of ADHD?

How is it that the true ADHD patient can turn a stimulant into a depressant?

I was at a family gathering today, and over heard the girlfriend of my nephew stating that since her children are suspected of having ADHD, that they should avoid red food coloring (as in fruit punch)...is there any evidence to support this; or is it just another "old wive's tale"?

And finally, isn't the ADHD one of the most overdiagnosed conditions? I mean when you give a kid that has been diagnosed as having ADHD a Diet Pepsi and they get wound up on caffiene (another stimulant), it kind of flies in the face of prescribing a stimulant to treat said 'condition'.

As a kid, I was diagnosed with ADHD, and put on Ritalin b.i.d. When my mother didn't feel like dealing with me, she slipped in an extra dose. She did it often enough that 30 years later, my aunt (her sister) was impressed with how far I'd come with my 'problem'. When pressed to define what 'problem' she was talking about, she stated that for many years she thought I was 'retarded' because I was so doped up. Needless to say, she was rather shocked to find that I was about as 'normal' as they come, and quite intelligent on top of that!

There's that term again, niacin flush. Had a patient that called for N&V w/ watery stools using a "Niacin Flush Kit". Wouldn't, or couldn't explain what it was, or where it came from; only that it was to remove evidence of marijuana use from ones system. The patient was adgiatated, uncooperative when alert, mostly lethargic and confused. This, after several hours of projectile vomiting and dry heaves which resulted in mostly blood and sputum coming out. Which answered the question, yes, you can carry someone on a Reeves, in the fetal position.

In Germany the most effective ingredients of such energy drinks are caffeine, sugar and marketing. I didn't find niacin on the list, at least for the brand with the bull.

Caffeine and sugar sure will give you some fast "energy" as well as the 480 kJ per 250ml can will add significant to your daily body mass balance. But the real magic comes from the marketing effect, I think.

However, I must say, that I tested such a drink only once (one mouth full) and spit it away. It simply tasted awful sweet and didn't meet my criteria for a drink - and I'm a passionate drinker of cola (since a few years: diet coke). Compared to other colleagues and especially to younger ones with a significant use of "energy drinks" I can't see a better outcome of them on long moonlight rides and overtime shifts or even at excessive bar nights. Most times I outrun them...without coffee, just with diet coke (except for the excessive bar nights, we use other drinks then, you can imagine).

So I hold the marketing department of those companies more responsible for any real effects than the chemical branch. And at least for the German market's product ingredients, I can't see any special bad influence on health other than the usual problems with unhealthy living (caffeine, sugar, minimal sleep, excessive bar nights). I can't see any special benefit in drinking this stuff, too.

• Like 1

On occasion, I will have an energy drink. Those, however, are usually reserved for a late night transfer to the big city which takes on average 4-5 hours from tone to bed; closer to the 5 hours if I get my report written beforehand.

My drink of choice is the 5-hour Energy Drink which, hmmm, lasts just as long as I need it. And, I probably consume one a month...maaaybeee two.

Nope. Good old coffee and tea (mostly tea) and water do it for me, and I regularly work 10 hour overnight shifts with a sleep cycle that I switch back to "normal" on my off days.

I no longer drink tea, and coffee makes me pee. So, I'm better off not drinking too much of it. :D

I used to drink them regularly when I was working night shifts until I discovered how rewarding it was to get paid to nap on the job. :thumbsup: I still drink them occasionally when I really need to stay awake (i.e. working a busy night shift then having to give a presentation in the morning). I know they aren't good for me... but I never got into coffee, I don't smoke, and I gave up drinking alcohol so man must have a vice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.