Pediatric Restraint

What about a disposable restraint? One that is around $20 a pop and uses velcro. Would that be of any interest?

Well, yeah! Would they attach to a bedpost?

Sorry man...but my guess would be that, yeah, if they did the trick most of EMS loves disposable everything, so it might be a hit.

Dwayne

I absolutly hate these types of questions so I will answer yours then leave one of my own.

Hey guys, can you estimate the following figures for me?

1) How many calls does your service get per day? 1

2) How many pediatric calls does your service get per day? 0.08

3) How many pediatric calls require a full body restraint per day? 0.006

Why are you asking the above 3 questions?

Had my smallest/youngest patient ever not too long ago...and it was the first time we were unable to restrain appropriately. After much discussion between my partner, the RN riding with us and me...we determined that the best course of action and need for the 30 minute old baby would be in the arms of the RN who was maintaining stimulation/warmth/blow by O2. So, mom is on the stretcher and I am in charge of her care. RN is in the captain's chair, restrained, with the new life in her arms while she was in charge of her care. OH, and our driver took an off road so that she could drive a little more slowly and carefully.

The smartest move? Probably not. Only option? In our opinion.

But, Waylon - here's another need for a restraint for an infant less than 20 lbs without his/her own car seat and one that needs continuous care.

For the others, what would you have done in this situation?

Toni

Had my smallest/youngest patient ever not too long ago...and it was the first time we were unable to restrain appropriately. After much discussion between my partner, the RN riding with us and me...we determined that the best course of action and need for the 30 minute old baby would be in the arms of the RN who was maintaining stimulation/warmth/blow by O2. So, mom is on the stretcher and I am in charge of her care. RN is in the captain's chair, restrained, with the new life in her arms while she was in charge of her care. OH, and our driver took an off road so that she could drive a little more slowly and carefully.

But, Waylon - here's another need for a restraint for an infant less than 20 lbs without his/her own car seat and one that needs continuous care.

Toni

Hopefully I would have done that...it sounds like perfectly sound care to me.

Dwayne

Hopefully I would have done that...it sounds like perfectly sound care to me.

Dwayne

Thanks for your two cents. It was definitely not a decision entered in to lightly.

I absolutly hate these types of questions so I will answer yours then leave one of my own.

Why are you asking the above 3 questions?

Mobey,

I was trying to decide whether a pediatric restraint and backboard 2-in1 hybrid would be of any use. Like I stated earlier on in the thread, I am developing a pediatric restraint as a summer project.

Toni

What size kids do the inflatable chairs start to fit? Not saying you were wrong, I haven't ever used one, just wondering.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dealmed.com/Products/Backboards/Ferno-Medikids-Pediatric-Board

For infants 1-7kg. Has an inflatable section that adjusts for airway management and proper alignment.

Snuggle a blanket around them and you can elevate the head of the bed with the board attached (Should be able to on most cots) for respiratory distress babies.

Full access and baby is secured.

Well we have a pedi board if we need to backboard a kid and we have a built in car seat in the "airway seat" in the back of the bus. Usually I will txp the child on the parents' lap on the stretcher with the seat belts on. Usually that makes them more comfortable and cooperative.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.