College EMS in DC

Hi! New member here.

I am a CFR in New York State (As I am not 18 just yet) with 2 full years of steady experience and will be going to college in DC in September.

Specifically, I will be attending American University in NE DC (Tenley town area) and I am looking to join an agency in/near DC.

Where is the best place for me to join? American does not have an EMS agency.

Does DC FEMS offer EMT programs and membership for college students?

Are there any good agencies outside DC? I'm looking to volly and will only be in the area during college.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

Are there any good agencies outside DC?

All of the good agencies are outside of DC. ;)

First, check your geography. American U is in NW DC. Not NE.

Second, you'll be pretty close to the Tenleytown Metro station. That'll give you a straight shot up to the Chevy Chase/Bethesda area. The Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad is located there. They're not really Metro accessible once you get into Bethesda but you'll probably find that there are buses that run from the Metro station past the squad. If accepted as a member there will be available training. I know these guys have some pretty strict membership requirements. I'm not sure how well they'd warm to a college kid who will get training and disappear for a while. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you're looking for additional training, George Washington University has an EMS program that would at least afford you the opportunity for some training while you're down there. They don't have a campus EMS squad, either.

There are a couple other areas all outside of DC. Another member here used to run with Cabin John. You'll be Metro accessible so getting into Virginia shouldn't be too big an issue. But Dust is right. There is nothing worthwhile in Washington DC as far as EMS goes. That includes DC Fire/EMS. Don't get sick or injured.

I'm not kidding.

Good luck.

Thanks for that info, and advice!

Does one have to be a student at GW to take the program?

Are there any purely volunteer agencies close by that anybody is aware of or familiar with?

Does one have to be a student at GW to take the program?

Not sure. That's why I gave you the link so you'll be able to follow up. Please share with the group when you find out as others may be interested.

Are there any purely volunteer agencies close by that anybody is aware of or familiar with?

In DC? No.

Keep in mind that the surrounding counties are all paid with vollie supplement.

Glen Echo Fire Department works with a bunch of AU students too and is a straight shot on Mass. Ave from AU. Their volunteer coordinator also is a student at AU... Give them a call 301-229-1686 and talk to him... They work with college kids a lot and even have a live-in program that used to be great, I've been out of their department for a few years but I am pretty sure it's still going on. Very easy bus ride from campus.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Sadly there are no volunteers in DC anymore. The National Park Service does have a volunteer EMS bike team, and there are some volunteer Fire/Rescue/EMS units in MD, and VA, but they are all career, and supplemented by vollies.

Where do you ride in NY ? And what is your goal ? Do you want to become a meidc ? do you see yourself as one day being in the field as a career, or do you just want to volly while you go to college ?

This is the only 100% volunteer county left in the DC area, it is about 30-45 minutes drive south and east of DC.

www.calvertfirerescueems.com