Benzo for Dizziness

stcommodore

Does anyone outside of pennsylvania have a protocol for treating dizziness. In PA we are permitted to give 1mg Versed, 5mg valium or 1mg ativan under the "nausea/vomiting" protocol if there is "persistant dizziness."

Now we aren't in the business of treating chronic pain but do you feel this protocol could justify treating someone with a HX of vertigo?

Would like to know why you guys there treat dizziness or is it a nausea and vomiting Protocol? Why Benzodiazepines? Upstate NY/Lower Hudson Valley we give Phenergan for the nausea associated with ACS. We can give it for just GI and CNS N/V. Phergan is a Medical control Option for us.

I would have to ask (and not being a smart ass) what diagnostic tool you would use to determine that dizziness is vertigo, ear infection, a CVA/TIA, electrolyte imbalance, or a brain tumor ? I do not see "vertigo" as something that needs immediate treatment in the field, unless you are trying to do something to treat and release, but again, you do not have the tools to determine if the patient can be left at home.

Benzos can be used to treat vertigo (from any cause) in an acute setting, but are not recommended for long term use. They work pretty well and if you have ever had vertigo you will understand how much the pt will thank you when you make them feel better.

Benzos can be used to treat vertigo (from any cause) in an acute setting, but are not recommended for long term use. They work pretty well and if you have ever had vertigo you will understand how much the pt will thank you when you make them feel better.

When my cerebral aneurysm presented, one of the symptoms I had was vertigo. I don't know of any way to really 'quantify' how dizzy I was because I've never known anything other than 'dizzy'. To me, it would be similar to being married or pregnant; either you are or you're not...can't be 'a little bit married' or 'a little bit pregnant'.

Even simplly lying on the cot, I was afraid that if I let go of it, it would sling me off and send me flying into the nearest solid object. In the back of my mind, I knew that was an impossibility, but it didn't change the fact that it felt like my entire world was spinning way too fast, and way out of control!

I've been drunk enough to have had several bouts of 'bed spins', but this could be 'fixed' by simply dropping one foot to the floor (it gives a sense of reference, and works wonders to get the bed to quit spinning!)...

In my case, there was nothing that helped mitigate what I was feeling, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's a terrifying feeling!

If anyone had been able to even lessen the effects, I would have nominated them to be promoted to demi-god on the spot!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.