Fitness levels of new students

<br /><br />

What is absurd is that you still seem to fail to recognise what this thread is about. It's about STUDENTS voluntarily enrolling into an adult education course in the community. It is NOT about what you personally think your EMPLOYEES should be able to perform. Stay on topic.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Why can't we expand on the topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't we expand on the topic?

Because forum rules prohibit it.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Do not hijack topics. Discussions should remain focused on the original poster's intended topic. If a separate topic or concern arises during the course of discussion, post that topic or concern in a new topic rather than sidetracking the original discussion.

I wouldn't call it a new topic, but rather a subset of the current one.

Students will become employees. Are we not supposed to set them up for successful careers in the field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Students will become employees. Are we not supposed to set them up for successful careers in the field?

"The field" is not homogenous. Not all students will become employees. In fact, most will not, and never had any intention of doing so. EMS is a very big field, encompassing a lot of diverse job opportunities. Of those who do become "employees", many will be in jobs not requiring a level of fitness anywhere near what you are talking about. That is up to the employer to determine, not me as an educator. I'm not a gym teacher.

I believe having a requirement such as a Bachelors degree or even an Associates in EMS would eliminate the unfit and make the ones who are dedicated to serving the community more valuable.

Perhaps ... I think employers chance rolling with dice with anyone. They could hire a newbie with no experience in the field who will lose it on their first code or juicy trauma. They could also hire someone in the field for several years who's already burned out and won't last long. There are useless tards at every level.

Some are just "made" for the field. I didn't have any previous post-secondary before entering the field a little over 5 years ago. Where I lacked in road experience entering the field at the ripe old age of 28 I made up for in life experience, and don't have a problem talking to any demographic. Talking is most of our job, and I don't picture myself doing anything else but this. What my longevity is due to physical requirements of humping stretchers, well, that remains to be seen. Perhaps looking at someone with a little more of the latter could benefit the employer, employee and of course the patient. This, instead of hiring 18 year old kids right out of high school who decided taking their EMT would be "cool".

Perhaps ... I think employers chance rolling with dice with anyone. They could hire a newbie with no experience in the field who will lose it on their first code or juicy trauma. They could also hire someone in the field for several years who's already burned out and won't last long. There are useless tards at every level.

Some are just "made" for the field. I didn't have any previous post-secondary before entering the field a little over 5 years ago. Where I lacked in road experience entering the field at the ripe old age of 28 I made up for in life experience, and don't have a problem talking to any demographic. Talking is most of our job, and I don't picture myself doing anything else but this. What my longevity is due to physical requirements of humping stretchers, well, that remains to be seen. Perhaps looking at someone with a little more of the latter could benefit the employer, employee and of course the patient. This, instead of hiring 18 year old kids right out of high school who decided taking their EMT would be "cool".

That is the problem, we need to attract the right people for the right job. Not 18 year olds hoping to become a FF. Professional careers are those with the most education. Physician, lawyers, dentists, and the like are all seem as "professionals."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.