Fitness levels of new students

<br /><br />

<br />

<br />

A 3 mile run? Really? I agree with some sort of physical agility/endurance test, but if you put almost any of my coworkers through a PFT and a CFT, you'd need a dozen extra response units standing by to transport them all for chest pain, syncope, SCA, etc!<br />

<br />

That aside, I do get what you're saying. Maybe, say, a half mile or mile run. And pushups instead of pullups (like the Army does). Crunches can stay. As for the CFT... maybe we can do a Lifepak lift instead of an ammo can lift. And a gurney push instead of the boots & utes run. OK, I'm being a little facetious now.<br />

<br />

A start would be employers allowing their employees to get out of the ambulance for at least some of their shifts. No wonder we're fat, when we eat McDonald's all day long, and sit on our ever-fattening as*es in the front seat for 12 hours a day, 4 days a week. I know, this scenario doesn't apply to everybody in EMS, but it is typical of most system-status management services.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Why not a 3 mile run? It's more than we're ever likely to do, so a half mile run by comparison will be easy... Overtrain.

I dont think a PFT is unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not a 3 mile run? It's more than we're ever likely to do, so a half mile run by comparison will be easy... Overtrain.

I dont think a PFT is unreasonable.

I don't think a master's degree and MENSA membership are unreasonable either, but I'm betting you do.

I don't think a master's degree and MENSA membership are unreasonable either, but I'm betting you do.

If you can build people up to that standard, go for it.

A PFT isn't difficult. If they can't pass it, they can be worked up to that level, that's the great thing about fitness.

If you can build people up to that standard, go for it.

A PFT isn't difficult. If they can't pass it, they can be worked up to that level, that's the great thing about fitness.

You're right, it isn't difficult. But it's also a high standard, even for the military. It's the longest run of any branch. We do pullups rather than pushups. And the CFT - completely not relevant to EMS. Maybe you could modify it to make it relevant, but it would be very extensive modification.

Think about employees in most indepentent EMS services. How many can run 3 miles in 27:59 or less? How many can do 3 pullups (how many can even do 1???). How many can do 55 crunches in 2 minutes? My guess would be 1 in 10... or less.

I COMPLETELY agree that some physical fitness standards should be maintained, some sort of fitness test. But let's make it RELEVANT to what we do. I'm gonna take some flack for mentioning these guys, but how about standards similar to fire departments (entry standards, not 20-years-on-the-job-getting-fat-eating-donuts standards). I would suggest that is much more relevant to EMS than a test designed for the Marine Corps. Again, it would need some modification.

A 1 or 2 mile run, sure. Pushups and situps, sure. Some sort of lifting test, absolutely. Maybe a timed relay carrying a certain amount of equipment.

Maybe someday, in the far distant future, we could hold EMS'ers to Marine Corps standards. But to be honest, I don't ever see it happening. In any case, given the current fitness levels I see around me, we need to start with baby steps.

• Like 1

Unless you are working on a very busy shift running call after call there will always be time to get some sort of activity in.

But the problem with that is that it's so much easier to sit in a chair, watch tv or surf the net all while munching on snacks that you get from the Unhealthy vending machines.

30-45 minutes of physical activity should be done every shift. Be that walking, running or what not.

Like I said in a previous post, make a physical fitness component mandatory as a part of the class. Think of it from an employer's perspective.

Employer knows that students from this particular program have this physical fitness component, they will be more likely to hire a fit emt/medic rather than one who did no physical fitness activity during the class.

A school that did not allow smoking during class would also be a good deal for an employer.

Haven't been back to this thread in awhile and I appoligize for that.

I think a few valid points have been made.

Ruff my school did NOT allow smoking anywhere on campus, you actually got expelled if you were caught. I really cut down because of it and started buying more gum. BTW while on duty I refuse to smoke on my own free will. I will goa whole shift without one. I couldn't imagine having a patient having to smell my stank on my uniform. Yes I am one of the few smokers that understands we stink to high heaven if your not a smoker. Also if I am doing an event I will not smoke while in public. Don't want to associate my bad habit with that of EMS or my organization.

As far as a fit test. I think I have a pretty good one. it was adapted from what my Squad required and also what my school required. Here is a quick run down. Maybe it can beused elsewhere.

1. Stair chair - 2 partner 1 pt (150lb simulaid) 4 flights of stairs with landings. Top to bottom. Not really timed but no excessive stoping or waiting at the landings other then positioning for the transition. Once at the bottom the simulation is reset and the EMT in the front goes to the back and vise versa.

2. Stretcher - 2 partner 1pt (150lb simulaid). Lift from ground to full wheel extention. Traverse uneven terrain to rig over 100 feet. Place stretcher in rig (1partner holding the whole weight while the other lifts the wheels then pushes in) Again not really timed but no excessive stopping. Again reset after and partners swap positions.

3. Equipment Carry - 1 person. O2 bag and Jump Bag. 4 flights of stairs 2:50

4. (specific to my area) Equipment Carry - 1 person. Scoop and Jump Bag 1/4 mile hike over difficult terrain. 5:00 (we have alot of State park to cover so most times the trail head is 1/4 mile from the rig SAR brings out the patient from deeper in usually in a stokes or specialized quad. if they are already backboarded we carry out that way if they are not in need of FSP the scoop is used to make transfer easier)

5. General Physical also checking EEG, BP, Sugar, Breathing and Lung Capacity

Some may ask why only 4 flights, in my local area most structures are single floor or 2 stories only so doubling what we may see is felt adaquite. BTW we are not fire based we are strictly EMS and as stated some of the above was from school and some from my Squad. We do have a few other tests but mostly it is specialized so doesn't really bare on EMS in general. I did add the hike one because of it being mentioned by previous posters. Also the reason for some not being timed is due to quote patient contact. We don't want to see our folks rushing with a patient on board we would rather see effectiviness, smoothness, and ability then a predetermined time.

We do stress physical fitness in my Squad but its not mandatory other then being able to complete said tasks. Yes I am over weight myself but am able to complete the tasks without difficulty and usually can go beyond.

<br /><br />

<br />

You're right, it isn't difficult. But it's also a high standard, even for the military. It's the longest run of any branch. We do pullups rather than pushups. And the CFT - completely not relevant to EMS. Maybe you could modify it to make it relevant, but it would be very extensive modification.<br />

<br />

Think about employees in most indepentent EMS services. How many can run 3 miles in 27:59 or less? How many can do 3 pullups (how many can even do 1???). How many can do 55 crunches in 2 minutes? My guess would be 1 in 10... or less.<br />

<br />

I COMPLETELY agree that some physical fitness standards should be maintained, some sort of fitness test. But let's make it RELEVANT to what we do. I'm gonna take some flack for mentioning these guys, but how about standards similar to fire departments (entry standards, not 20-years-on-the-job-getting-fat-eating-donuts standards). I would suggest that is much more relevant to EMS than a test designed for the Marine Corps. Again, it would need some modification.<br />

<br />

A 1 or 2 mile run, sure. Pushups and situps, sure. Some sort of lifting test, absolutely. Maybe a timed relay carrying a certain amount of equipment.<br />

<br />

Maybe someday, in the far distant future, we could hold EMS'ers to Marine Corps standards. But to be honest, I don't ever see it happening. In any case, given the current fitness levels I see around me, we need to start with baby steps.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

What's so absurd about a 3 mile run, a few pullups, and some crunches?

Just because our profession is so out of shape, that we have providers who can barely fit in the ambulance, doesn't mean we should have low standards. I'm not suggesting that we cut anyone who can't get to that level tomorrow, but I think it's a goal that can be attained. How can we promote health when our profession isn't healthy?

Yes, the CFT was a stretch, and I said it only to make a point. Hyperbole, I suppose.

Now that I think about it, it could be modified. Raising and lowering the stretcher with weight on it, for a set amount of reps, loading and unloading the cot, carrying gear up and down stairs, etc...

Like I said in a previous post, make a physical fitness component mandatory as a part of the class. Think of it from an employer's perspective.

Employer knows that students from this particular program have this physical fitness component, they will be more likely to hire a fit emt/medic rather than one who did no physical fitness activity during the class.

Fitness/wellness credits have actually been worked into the paramedic program I’m currently taking. Do I have ideas as to how it could be done better? Absolutely. I am a bit of a “Negative Nancy” in that respect. No matter how well something’s done I look for ways it could be done better. Over all I do have to give them kudos for making that effort when I know many programs are still struggling to impart the basics.

That said. I’m not convinced a fitness class is time well spent during a 3-week first aid course. Three weeks isn’t even remotely enough time to impart the must know information let alone add in the nice to haves. If employers are going to insist on hiring people with less than bare minimum education they should expect that they will be the ones who have to enforce some semblance of a fitness standard.

What's so absurd about a 3 mile run, a few pullups, and some crunches?

What is absurd is that you still seem to fail to recognise what this thread is about. It's about STUDENTS voluntarily enrolling into an adult education course in the community. It is NOT about what you personally think your EMPLOYEES should be able to perform. Stay on topic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.