Fitness levels of new students

Physical or mental?

I'm a lot more concerned about the latter than the former. I've never had anyone in a wheelchair apply to any school I was at, so that really doesn't seem to be a real problem. That's for employers to worry about, not educators. Let them worry about the EEOC.

Physical or mental?

I'm a lot more concerned about the latter than the former. I've never had anyone in a wheelchair apply to any school I was at, so that really doesn't seem to be a real problem. That's for employers to worry about, not educators. Let them worry about the EEOC.

Interesting point. I was referring to physical health, but i agree that mental fitness is equally important.

I wasnt thinking about students with disabilities, but more along the lines of the obese. While ive had classes with a student who had cerebral palsy, ive had/seen more classes with students who are obese. Im not saying that an obese person shouldnt be allowed to participate, but i just dont think that many of the out-of-shapers understand the importance of physical fitness in this field. They are in for a rude awakening when it comes time to take their CPAT, or realize how difficult it can be to move a large patient on a call.

I'm a fat guy (approx 300 pounds, 6' 1" tall) but I can do the job. I can lift with the best of any of them. I can do 20 minutes of CPR without problems. I can eat at the buffet with the best of them also.

My health consists of Type 2 diabetes and being fat. I can do the job the same as anyone. I'll probably die of a heart attack while on the computer before I die in the ambulance. (don't know that for sure but I dreamt it)

I'm also like Dust, I'm much more concerned about the employee's mental state. If they do like an friend of mines partner did beat a patient with a mag light and when the ambulance is stopped they get out and just walk off!!! I'm more concerned of someone fitness than their physical fitness.

I do think that you do need to have at least a modicum of physical fitness to do this job.

Im not saying that an obese person shouldnt be allowed to participate, but i just dont think that many of the out-of-shapers understand the importance of physical fitness in this field. They are in for a rude awakening when it comes time to take their CPAT, or realize how difficult it can be to move a large patient on a call.

I completely agree. In fact, that is one of the big factors that causes me to discourage people from this profession. They think that EMT card is their first class ticket to a great job. They don't understand that employers hire the person, not the card. If you are not up to the task, there are a dozen other graduates from just your class who are. And, of course, that applies to psychological fitness too.

That said, it is not necessary that someone be interested in being an ambulance driver to be an EMT. So, unless the school is training people with the sole intention of hiring the graduates, I believe it would be wrong, if not illegal, to discriminate.

I completely agree. In fact, that is one of the big factors that causes me to discourage people from this profession. They think that EMT card is their first class ticket to a great job. They don't understand that employers hire the person, not the card. If you are not up to the task, there are a dozen other graduates from just your class who are. And, of course, that applies to psychological fitness too.

That said, it is not necessary that someone be interested in being an ambulance driver to be an EMT. So, unless the school is training people with the sole intention of hiring the graduates, I believe it would be wrong, if not illegal, to discriminate.

I can say that there is no freaking way that I could pass the CPAT test without some serious getting into shape. Unfortunately when you are behind a desk 4 days a week and eating out at restaurants since I travel and don't have the ability to cook healthy meals, i've gotten a little rounder than I'd like to be.

I can still do the work of a paramedic though. I may get tired quicker, I'm still going to be able to take care of the patient. If there's a long way to travel to get to the patient and the like I'll probably leave the carrying to the fire guys.

They need to come up with some sort of pre-course 'dumbass test'. Because new EMT's make me hypertensive. Just thought I'd put that out there.

You know, like some test to weed out the ones that are too fricken stupid to perform as care-givers.

• Like 3

They need to come up with some sort of pre-course 'dumbass test'. Because new EMT's make me hypertensive. Just thought I'd put that out there.

You know, like some test to weed out the ones that are too fricken stupid to perform as care-givers.

I couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

That said I think a moderate physical should be manditory. I had to get one before school. Just to make sure no previous injuries or history would kill or injure me during the school or afterwords. I had a slightly more intensive physical because I had a PE at a young age but passed with flying colors. And I am by no means a small guy 265 6'2". Yea I might get a little sweaty after hiking a mile into the woods for a broken ankle or after CPR but hey I still get the job done.

I do think a mental health check should be required also. I see it too many times a provider lose it after a while and it is never pretty.

Excellent point. The applicant process used by most schools is horribly inadequate, if not absent. Truth be told, if even reasonable standards were put into place, it would be hard to fill up your classes. A seriously high percentage of EMT wannabes are either intellectually and/or psychologically unfit for the responsibilities the job carries. But really, we don't need even half of the EMTs that we produce every year. And weeding out the dead weight would raise our value.

Excellent point. The applicant process used by most schools is horribly inadequate, if not absent. Truth be told, if even reasonable standards were put into place, it would be hard to fill up your classes. A seriously high percentage of EMT wannabes are either intellectually and/or psychologically unfit for the responsibilities the job carries. But really, we don't need even half of the EMTs that we produce every year. And weeding out the dead weight would raise our value.

Im just quoting this because i like how you think.

Would you believe me if i told you that a student in my medic program was sent home from his internship shift because he was unable to figure out how a nasal cannula works. True story. Or the guy who tried to intubate holding the scope in his right hand, we still make fun of him for that one.

Im surrounded by idiots, please save me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.