Moving to NYC

Hello all! My dream ever since I was a child was to move to NYC.

I am now 25 years old with a BA in forensic archaeology and an EMT-B (just passed my NREMT a week ago).

Keep in mind throughout this entire post that I am from a tourist trap in Florida, and yes I have been to the city numerous times.

Basically, what is the likelihood of me finding a job in NYC considering I don't know the streets and details of that nature? Do I need a license to practice in NY? What companies should I apply for because I don't know any?

All in all I'm lost and in need of someone steering me in the right direction and then I'll be fine!

Thanks a lot,

Hope

post-32818-0-99100000-1305654776_thumb.j

First off congrats on passing!

Yes you will need a certification or licensing for the State of New York, here is the Reciprocity Process: http://www.health.ny.gov/nysdoh/ems/pdf/reciprocity_packet.pdf

Here is more information about them: http://www.nycremsco.org/

Hope this helps! Also it would be nice to have knowledge of the streets and how their system works, but I don't see that as a requirement for employment. I am sure that will have a street and road map test for you to complete after working for awhile. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

First off, congrats on passing.. Second can I talk you out of moving to NYC ??? FDNY hires EMTs all the time..... get your NYS-EMT card, get a Dl and get on the list..... Good luck.. PS most of the private ambulance companys in NYC are pretty bad..... just my opinion, do not kill the messenger.

Thanks

:o

Around here, and EMT-P starts at about half that.

After state taxes, union dues, and cost of living adjustments, it evens out. Don't be fooled by raw numbers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.